Change in obtaining Driving Licence and Purchasing Car Procedure.

Today, I went to Ranong Immigration to get two residency certificates needed to get a car and a Thai driving license, as I work on resettling in Thailand after years overseas.

They rejected my application and sent me to the Department of Land and Transport to get a covering letter.

After a two-hour wait, I got the letter, which included my passport, visa and TM 30 copies.

Back at Immigration, they took the letter and had me complete a residency application form, similar to the original but without needing photos (or perhaps they forgot?).

They said they'd send all documents to the Department of Land and Transport, who would then reach out to set up a driving test and other formalities including car registration.

The driving test requirements seem to have changed; now, instead of just watching a video and taking simple eye, reaction, and depth tests, and showing an international and home country license, I must complete a full questionnaire and practical exams, like those for new Thai drivers.

Translation cover letter.

Subject: Request to check permission to stay in the Kingdom of a foreigner,

To the Immigration Superintendent of Ranong Province. 

Attached: Copy of passport number XXXXXXXX

With MR.XXXXXXXXX nationality XXXXXXX, being a person holding a book Travel number XXXXXXXXX to contact to apply for a driver's license at the Ranong Provincial Transport Office, details as attached.

Ranong Provincial Transport Office I would like to request assistance in checking whether the persons listed above have entered the Kingdom correctly or not. What type of visa is there? There is notification of residence information in the Kingdom of Thailand? And for how long are they allowed to reside in the Kingdom of Thailand?

Therefore, I would like to study for your consideration. Please provide information so that we can take action on that part continue to be involved.

Signed

Ranong Land and Transport

Edited by LosLobo
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

Belt and braces, everyone is trying to cover themselves at the expense of another department! Also a cash grab by Immi on the residence certificate.

The Res cert is free if you pay then that is corruption, you will not get a receipt.

I tried to offer a 'fee' for an 'express' service at Trat (for my friend who was disabled) no come back in 3-4 days, but I could go alone saving my mate the discomfort of traveling.  It was for a bank account.

Phuket town  Free, next day ( or if u know someone)   < same day ( special service ) 300 baht
Patong   same day 500 baht
NEVER a receipt 

2 hours ago, LosLobo said:

The driving test requirements seem to have changed; now, instead of just watching a video and taking simple eye, reaction, and depth tests, and showing an international and home country license, I must complete a full questionnaire and practical exams, like those for new Thai drivers.

It sounds like you had a Thai license before you left?

When has it expired?

Red.cert. is not my topic. Here show yellow book/pink card and all set.

Edited by KhunBENQ

10 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

It sounds like you had a Thai license before you left?

When has it expired?

Red.cert. is not my topic. Here show yellow book/pink card and all set.

2020. Seems it expired even though I think there was a grace period when COVID was rampant.

5 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

2020. Seems it expired even though I think there was a grace period when COVID was rampant.

Can't say whether COVID extended but this is more than three years and so you are treated like a new applicant. Trying to do a new conversion from their home license seems to be rejected.

48 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Can't say whether COVID extended but this is more than three years and so you are treated like a new applicant. Trying to do a new conversion from their home license seems to be rejected.

I thought it was a longer period seems it was only 3 months.

Yes, at my DLT conversion was rejected, though it seemed to be the convention everywhere in the past.

You can now renew your driver’s licence 6 months before it expires (nationthailand.com)

34 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

I thought it was a longer period seems it was only 3 months.

General rule

Expired for more than one year: repeat theory (multiple choice) test

Expired for more than three years: start from scratch, theory and driving test.

There was reprieve granted for licenses that expired DURING the office closing due to COVID.

But after that renewal had to be done.

And maybe (don't know) three months to do after offices opened again.

Edited by KhunBENQ

20 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

500 baht or a 10 day wait in the North.

Last time I did one in Chiang Mai was a month wait or 500.

• Like 1