Proof of Funds Requirement for Tourist Visa (SETV)

G'day folks,

Seems the Thai Consulates in the region are now listing 'evidence of adequate finance' as a requirement for an SETV; Vientiane and Savannakhet, for example, state at least 20K in the bank for 3+ months.

Does anyone know how strictly enforced this is? 

Many TIA.

You definitely need bank statements that cover 3 months and a (current/ending) balance of at least 20k baht.

Anything beyond that, such as requiring that the balance hasn't dropped below 20k baht within those 3 months, is something I've heard from Vientiane but not from Savannakhet or Phnom Penh. That might be hit and miss.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Totally enforced, you don't show the proof of funds for the required time you don't get the visa and most times can't even get in the gate to try to apply

• Thanks 1

My first application for a tourist visa in London last year needed bank statements. My second request this year, they didn’t ask.

i assume they used my previous bank info.

• Thanks 1

On 7/9/2024 at 5:57 PM, GypsyT said:

That's chicken feed...

Many countries in EU require 65 euros per day. That's 5850e for 90days or 230 000THB.  10x more.

Apples and Oranges.  People aren't coming from Western nations to Thailand to work illegally / under-the-table, for Thai min-wage or less.  But, they do come from low-wage nations to Western nations for that purpose, and in large numbers.  Also, there is no welfare-help of any kind for foreigners in Thailand, where as there is in Western nations.

• Agree 1

Cheers all for the replies so far.

Some context:

Main bank (savings) account offshore. Send equivalent of 30K baht monthly from that to my Thai account which covers costs and extras for the coming month. So no prob to have 20K+ in my Thai bank account at the time of applying for an SETV, but can't show that amount consistently for 3 months before (plus I keep my offshore account details to myself!).

On 7/8/2024 at 7:15 PM, Caldera said:

You definitely need bank statements that cover 3 months and a (current/ending) balance of at least 20k baht.

Anything beyond that, such as requiring that the balance hasn't dropped below 20k baht within those 3 months, is something I've heard from Vientiane but not from Savannakhet or Phnom Penh. That might be hit and miss.

Most helpful, Caldera, appreciate it. Yep, a 20K min balance throughout the 3 months is really what I'm trying to find out!