Pattaya Locals Warn of Foreign Scam Gang Allegedly Preying on Tourists

webfact

image.jpeg

Pattaya — A group of foreign nationals has been accused by locals in Pattaya of allegedly operating a scam ring targeting foreign tourists.

According to local media reports, the gang operates primarily at the Made in Thailand Night Plaza located on Pattaya’s Second Road but also can be found near the Avenue Shopping Mall and on Beach Road. The foreign men, described as possibly Pakistani or Middle Eastern and mostly younger men, would typically approach tourists, often posing as friendly local expats, and engage them in conversation before trying to sell their dubious products such as herbal remedies for weight loss, beauty treatments, or hair growth to the tourists.

Mr. Abdul, a 50-year-old Thai motorbike taxi driver in the area in question, stated that the gang would then lure the unsuspecting victims to secluded areas or their nearby office to complete the transactions. The gang has over 20-30 members who take turns loitering at both the inner and outer areas of the market, looking for unsuspecting tourists to target, said Abdul.

By Aim Tanakorn

Full story: THE PATTAYA NEWS 2024-07-15

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

As I've always said. 

Worst thing about Thailand is some of the foreigners. 

Please there is no need to be racist 

They are only trying to be friendly 

Unfortunately they are all stereo typed 

I remember trying to initiate a conversation with a American guy in the view talay swimming pool.

He looked at me shocked and in his twangy American accent said 

"Do I know you or something???😮

No I said you old Yank !

Get off ya Zimmer frame and get a job !!

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 3

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Mr. Abdul, a 50-year-old Thai motorbike taxi driver in the area in question, stated that the gang would then lure the unsuspecting victims to secluded areas or their nearby office to complete the transactions. The gang has over 20-30 members who take turns loitering at both the inner and outer areas of the market, looking for unsuspecting tourists to target, said Abdul.

Time for immigration to mount a sting operation.

Edited by hotchilli

Sounds like an almost total fabrication.  I'm sure there are dubious products at The Made In Thailand market.  (Guess where they are made.) 

How many bald tourists would go to a secluded spot to buy hair restorer?  Sounds like sour grapes from locals who are jealous of these suspicious vendors.

• Agree 2

55 minutes ago, 2baht said:

When are you leaving or have you already left???

You can tell the foreigners I dislike, they are the ones with the nasty, hostile comments, the miserable ones. 

Can't keep their mouth shut, can't mind their own business 

Looks like I found one. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Henryford said:

They should do a roaring trade selling hair loss products to British tourists/expats.

Yes, more to be made than selling scented soap to Australians!

• Haha 2

It reminds me of all the Indians and Pakistanis and Nepalis on Beach Road trying to sell you a timeshare back in the noughties. The financial crisis put an end to that scam, anyway.

Who is that guy in the picture?

I have seen him all over Thailand, whenever I am in a Farang bar area I see him.

I recognized that uniform of a wife beater, knee length shorts, haircut and flip flops straight away.

• Confused 1

32 minutes ago, Bert got kinky said:

Who is that guy in the picture?

I have seen him all over Thailand, whenever I am in a Farang bar area I see him.

I recognized that uniform of a wife beater, knee length shorts, haircut and flip flops straight away.

He's Aussie named Wilbert. Once borrowed 500THB from me and never returned. Last time I asked he went into berserk mode. Typical 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, webfact said:

The foreign men, described as possibly Pakistani or Middle Eastern and mostly younger men, would typically approach tourists, often posing as friendly local expats, and engage them in conversation before trying to sell their dubious products such as herbal remedies for weight loss, beauty treatments, or hair growth to the tourists.

So What's the problem ? Thais do this Scam 24/7  in the whole country at that.

The only thing missing is an work Permit for the Foreigners that's all.

8 hours ago, thesetat2013 said:

i fail to see where is the scam? Thais do this every day in Pattaya driving or walking from place to place selling fake products to foreigners. They are annoying and obnoxious as well. 

If anything, these foreigners doing it are working without a work permit or work visa. But it does not seem to be a scam and the OP does not specify anything about fake products or foreigners threatened. I think some Thai saw these foreigners and got upset they were taking away business from them. Reporting it as a scam to get the police to take quicker action. 

its a slippery slope.. next youre lured away to be robbed    at any cost