Silencing The Dogs

JoshMyPickle

A big reason why I moved away from the old city was to escape the incessant barking of the dogs and croons of the chickens, but just recently, the dogs in my new 'hood have been quite the noisy insomniacs (although I can tolerate the rowdy thai bars and Burmese aliens erecting the nearby condos)... maybe it's just mating season for the heathens--after all, I have also heard a few neighborly sexpats screaming abusive profanities at their thai (in)significant others at odd hours.

So do those silent whistles actually work, or do I need to cap their asses with some BBs, sniper-style? ...the dogs, that is.

A big reason why I moved away from the old city was to escape the incessant barking of the dogs and croons of the chickens, but just recently, the dogs in my new 'hood have been quite the noisy insomniacs (although I can tolerate the rowdy thai bars and Burmese aliens erecting the nearby condos)... maybe it's just mating season for the heathens--after all, I have also heard a few neighborly sexpats screaming abusive profanities at their thai (in)significant others at odd hours.

So do those silent whistles actually work, or do I need to cap their asses with some BBs, sniper-style? ...the dogs, that is.

Seems like the world might be a better place if you were to be put down. angry2.gif

Several off topic posts deleted! --- Nah, not yet - but this thread proves that the mods do sleep once in a while.

:o

A big reason why I moved away from the old city was to escape the incessant barking of the dogs and croons of the chickens...

Can't talk about animal noises, where you're located now - BUT, if you had problems with the almost extreme stillness, I experience during nighttime in the eastern old city area, you'd have problems anywhere.

why dont u just move to somewhere more "civilised" ? for eg: pattaya

I don't think the OP should stop at Pattaya TB. Perhaps 1500 kms further south-east in the middle of the South China Sea would be more appropriate.

(Apa kabar kawan? Saya masih ada di negari pasir)

I don't know about the silent whistles but I have found this combination works very well :o

post-36525-1186027245_thumb.jpg

At my old neighbourhood the houses around me had a massive pack of noisy dogs that would entertain eachother by barking all night. One night I decided to wreak my revenge and plugged in the Strat and the twin de ville amp and rolled the volume up to 8 and went to town. In a very short period of time the dogs learned that 1) I am louder than them 2) if I roll up the treble and switch to the telecaster the resultant sound will make them deaf for a week. Over the period of a couple of weeks of training they learned Pavlovian style that barking after 10pm will result in me giving them a massive headache.

I also discovered it works very well with neighbours who enjoy doing karaoke house parties until 3am on a weeknight.

The upshot of all this was that whenever the dogs would forget I only had to turn on the preamp and let the valves warm up and the resultant hum would suddendly remind them to shut up before I hit the opening riff of Highway Star.

My house has a sign - "I am amped and willing to used it"

CB

Nice one CB. And to JoshhisPickle, you've got a point. THis is the time of year when they all go frigging insane. The barking is especially nutty and nonstop. And for that I introduce them to a little friend of mine.... the slingshot I bought off the pushcart of sponges and brooms that comes around the neighborhood now and then. Also seems that Lam Yai seeds are a nice good size and the nuts aren't too hard to be shooting at anything. Wouldn't want to do any real harm. I remember the old tgf and her mom used to each have one at their houses for just this purpose. The lam yai seeds is my own take on it. It's right good sport, and also as in CB's case, the dogs have grown to know that if old such n such is opening up his door because we've been barking too loud, we best scatter and shut up right away or get a little sting in the side.

As for the dog that chased me the other day on the scooter with teeth showing, I wished one of my hook kicks had connected. No excuse for a dog untrained and acting as a menace. Thankfully never bitten here, but crazy to have to defend yourself from dogs while riding.

Yes its very frustrating the lack of discipline and training that dog owners provide their dogs here - prevailing mentality seems to be to just allow them to do whatever they like whereever they like and whenever they like. Dogs should be allowed to enjoy themselves, but their has got to be some boundaries! In my mooban we have several dogs that are allowed to run free throughout the day - how long until one has a go at a child as our mooban fills up and gets more populated? Tick tick tick... timebomb waiting to go off.

Nice one CB. And to JoshhisPickle, you've got a point. THis is the time of year when they all go frigging insane. The barking is especially nutty and nonstop. And for that I introduce them to a little friend of mine.... the slingshot I bought off the pushcart of sponges and brooms that comes around the neighborhood now and then. Also seems that Lam Yai seeds are a nice good size and the nuts aren't too hard to be shooting at anything. Wouldn't want to do any real harm. I remember the old tgf and her mom used to each have one at their houses for just this purpose. The lam yai seeds is my own take on it. It's right good sport, and also as in CB's case, the dogs have grown to know that if old such n such is opening up his door because we've been barking too loud, we best scatter and shut up right away or get a little sting in the side.

Lam Yai seeds bah we don't need no stinking Lam Yai seeds - for persistent offenders try option #1

post-36525-1186051434_thumb.jpg

For really stupid offenders try option #2

post-36525-1186051501_thumb.jpg

CB

Lam Yai seeds bah we don't need no stinking Lam Yai seeds - for persistent offenders try option #1

post-36525-1186051434_thumb.jpg

For really stupid offenders try option #2

post-36525-1186051501_thumb.jpg

CB

show them one of these "special dogs" that happen to be in some other mooban.

post-29436-1186053663_thumb.jpg

Okay youse guys.. Let's get serious about the OP's post, okay? :o

This topic, of course, has come up before and, yes, some ultrasound devices do work and I have one.

It wasn't cheap, partially due to shipping to the LOS, but I don't know what I would have done without it!

Example: Next door neighbor's dog, one a few doors down the street and one a half-block away. Recreational barking literally 24-hrs/day. I got to the point where I was ready to kill something, anything, just out of spite.

Battery-operated, moisture proof, cannot be heard by humans, this little box has literally changed our level of frustration and ability to get a good night's sleep.

No, I do not represent this company nor have any connection with them other than being a very satisfied customer.

Did a search on the internet, ordered this little 6x4x4" box and the only thing we hear now is birds.

This thing has sensitivity controls and volume adjustments, can be put in a motorbike basket and parked outside neighbor's houses and they won't even notice and I swear on my mother's grave (tho she ain't dead yet) that:

I used it only three times for fifteen minutes and the next-door neighbor's dog has been silent since. Pointed in other directions the other neighborhood dogs went silent and remain so. Peace is bliss, eh?

Can't remember what I paid but it was somthing like $60 and I can look that all up if you PM me.

Gotta admit tho that I came back from our latest visit to the US with the 'latest and greatest' slingshot, to include refill rubbies, for those transient mutts who think that my male dog is bi-sexual and tear huge holes in our hedge to get to him/her.

Go figure..

Edited by Dustoff

Careful guys, you'll have the dippy doogooder brigade baying for blood :D:o

Frankly, I'm shocked that this thread on silencing dogs and the one on dogs attacking people on bikes has been allowed to go this long without everyone proposing solutions being burned at the stake.

BTW, regarding all those electronic dog repellers, generally they don't work. I know, because I bought both the handheld and expensive home units. The home units interfere with not only dogs but cats, and also cause headaches in humans if exposed long enough, so be careful with children and others. We placed some in a restaurant and the customers were complaining of headaches, and didn't know why. The handheld is a joke. Yeah, it annoys dogs, and they immediate get agitated. But, it does not repell them, if anything makes them more angry. I tried it at night on 3 of them and they all advanced on me, making it a funny spectacle as I was backed against a car, laughing, while friends busted a gut.

Careful guys, you'll have the dippy doogooder brigade baying for blood :D:o

Frankly, I'm shocked that this thread on silencing dogs and the one on dogs attacking people on bikes has been allowed to go this long without everyone proposing solutions being burned at the stake.

BTW, regarding all those electronic dog repellers, generally they don't work. I know, because I bought both the handheld and expensive home units. The home units interfere with not only dogs but cats, and also cause headaches in humans if exposed long enough, so be careful with children and others. We placed some in a restaurant and the customers were complaining of headaches, and didn't know why. The handheld is a joke. Yeah, it annoys dogs, and they immediate get agitated. But, it does not repell them, if anything makes them more angry. I tried it at night on 3 of them and they all advanced on me, making it a funny spectacle as I was backed against a car, laughing, while friends busted a gut.

It seems to me that this thread is about silencing dogs, not repelling them and there is a big difference between the two.

The ultrasonic unit I discussed is not a repeller but a trainer. When turned on, it does not produce any sound until the dog actually barks and then only for a few seconds. You can adjust the sensitivity for a dog that is very close or one/more far away and set it to activate only after a certain number of barks. I set it for four barks as I believe it is natural for a dog to occasionally issue a couple of barks for whatever reason. This unit is also directional so it can be pointed in the direction the barking is coming from and is not set off by other noises. I would not purchase something that issues ultrasound all the time nor have one in or around my home.

I used this device only 3-4 times for fifteen minutes (the longest I have ever had it turned on) to train the next door dog who barked ALL the time and he is now a different animal. He does not bark unless someone he does not know is at his gate and I defend his right to do that. That's part of the reason many of us have dogs.

"Recreational barking" however is a nuisance, is unnecessary, and the sign of a poorly trained dog.

I simply provide the training...

I have also trained other dogs within a block of my home by parking across the street from them with the unit in the basket of our motorbike, walked around for ten to fifteen minutes then go back home. Three times of doing this and the dogs are trained.

Silence is bliss!

When I lived in Vientiane I knew a guy from Iceland who had a pet leopard. Never fed it, just let it out at night.

Interesting story - knowing Laos I would expect that the leopard disapeared and most likely ended up in Kumming on the "aphrodisiacs" and "ancient medicines" market. I have seen Tiger skins and bones plus everything else immaginable up there.

CB

When I lived in Vientiane I knew a guy from Iceland who had a pet leopard. Never fed it, just let it out at night.

Interesting story - knowing Laos I would expect that the leopard disapeared and most likely ended up in Kumming on the "aphrodisiacs" and "ancient medicines" market. I have seen Tiger skins and bones plus everything else immaginable up there.

CB

It did, then a car accident prevented him drinking himself to death, a considerable loss to the expat community as he used to put on 3 day Christmas parties.

Speaking of parties I've ran out of time to register for the TVBBQ. Many thanks to you, Aussie and the General for being kind enough to inquire if I was coming. Another time eh?

Edited by sceadugenga

Speaking of parties I've ran out of time to register for the TVBBQ. Many thanks to you, Aussie and the General for being kind enough to inquire if I was coming. Another time eh?

We could ask the powers that be if it is OK if I bring you as a guest. I was not going to bring any and I would like to meet you. :o

We could ask the powers that be if it is OK if I bring you as a guest. I was not going to bring any and I would like to meet you. :o

If you roll up, my missus is stayin home. Know what I'm saying ? C'mon, drag your arse up here, we don't bite..much..

If you roll up, my missus is stayin home. Know what I'm saying ? C'mon, drag your arse up here, we don't bite..much..

Ya gonna get a room together for the night as well? sLo_BigBearHug.gif

Ya gonna get a room together for the night as well? sLo_BigBearHug.gif

Yeah at your place, don't you remember..

bottom.gif