Immigration

Sue&John

Hi All,

Well we have finally done it and found somewhere to live in Chiang Mai.

We also want to bring our little dog but Deffra say we will have to have him quarrantined for 30 days.

Has anyone got any information on this? :o

Also can anyone tell us where we can purchase imported meat in nChiang Mai? :D

We will have lot6s of other questions so if anyone wants to give us the benefit of their experience, we would be grateful.

Sue&John

Hi All,

Well we have finally done it and found somewhere to live in Chiang Mai.

We also want to bring our little dog but Deffra say we will have to have him quarrantined for 30 days.

Has anyone got any information on this? :o

We will have lot6s of other questions so if anyone wants to give us the benefit of their experience, we would be grateful.

Sue&John

Hi,

Can't find anything later than 2004?

Sue

30 day home quarantine not in a kennel. I brought my dog over last year. PM me if you would like more details

I can second this. Have had several times dogs coming straight from the airport to my boarding kennel for the period of time the owners needed to settle in Chiang Mai.

Last April or May a friend imported her dog and it went straight to her home.

No quarantine needed.

Welcome in Chiang Mai! :o

Nienke

Sue&John

Hi Sue and John

The best place for imported meat is the quarantine. Anyway, that's where I go.

:o

You have lots of questions, we have lots of answers.

Yin di ti ma Chiang Mai.

Quarantine is where healthy animals catch diseases from unhealthy ones :D .

Where is your dog flying from ? Thai Air will let a small dog fly in the cabin :o .

Well, they will not let an animal, small or otherwise, fly freely in the cabin :D but will permit travel in a cage in the cabin, rather than the cargo hold; the latter being much, much more unpleasant.

Ask many questions here, and you shall receive. It's even helpful sometimes !

P.S. Do send private messages to those posters who have by-passed quarantine.

Edited by WaiWai

Hello

Are you using the services of a pet relocator? I am taking my dog on the same aircraft as myself but he is travelling as cargo as he is to heavy for excess baggage with Thai Airways. I was going to go down the DIY route but I am hitting a brick wall concerning the Import Permit. All the other requirements ssm to be quite simple. If not it seems that you will have to get the Import Permit yourself from Thailand before you leave the UK. I don't know if this is a new requirement. I was under the impression that this could be obtained at your destination airport in Thailand. I have made enquiries with the Department of Livestock in Bangkok who say it has to be obtained from the Animal Quarantine Officer in Chiang Mai with no further details and now they will not answer any of my emails. Thai Airways have given me two different answers. It seems to depend on who you speak to. Apparantly they will not fly my dog unless I have this document.I have even contacted the Royal Thai Embassy in London who just directed me to a page on their website which doesn't even mention an Import Permit. I'm not sure where to go with this now. :o

30 day home quarantine not in a kennel. I brought my dog over last year. PM me if you would like more details

Hi

Thanks for the much appreciated help, everyone.

The meat I was referring to was imported for eating - New Zealand Lamb or Good Beef. Venison and game birds. (no funnies here please :o

Any answers on that one?

We move to Chiang Mai in Mid Sep and are looking forwards to joining the expats club (Hi Alan) and making new friends.

Thanks again, all of you

Sue and John

Hello

Are you using the services of a pet relocator? I am taking my dog on the same aircraft as myself but he is travelling as cargo as he is to heavy for excess baggage with Thai Airways. I was going to go down the DIY route but I am hitting a brick wall concerning the Import Permit. All the other requirements ssm to be quite simple. If not it seems that you will have to get the Import Permit yourself from Thailand before you leave the UK. I don't know if this is a new requirement. I was under the impression that this could be obtained at your destination airport in Thailand. I have made enquiries with the Department of Livestock in Bangkok who say it has to be obtained from the Animal Quarantine Officer in Chiang Mai with no further details and now they will not answer any of my emails. Thai Airways have given me two different answers. It seems to depend on who you speak to. Apparantly they will not fly my dog unless I have this document.I have even contacted the Royal Thai Embassy in London who just directed me to a page on their website which doesn't even mention an Import Permit. I'm not sure where to go with this now. :o

Hi,

If it helps I have been told that this permit is issued at Bangkok, but I will be using a pet transport service who do it all for you. Our problem is that our dog is old. He is a Bijon and we think that a foster home might be the best option as the heat is not kind to old dogs. Plus the home we have bought does not have a garden.

We are using

http://www.passportforpets.co.uk/

Hope they can help you to.

Regards

Sue and John

The meat I was referring to was imported for eating - New Zealand Lamb or Good Beef. Venison and game birds. (no funnies here please :o

Any answers on that one?

Northern Farms on Huay Kaew road have a wide assortment of imports. Half way between Central Shopping Center and the University, left side of the road. Little difficult to see, maybe another member can give better directions.

Hello

OK pwllgrgn, I have to be in the neighborhood of the AQO anyway today, and will pass by and ask. Hopefully they give me the paper rightway and I can send it to you. Will PM later.

Nienke

Sue & John; you mention you have a place to stay in Chiang Mai, if your place has a ref. with freezer compartment put good beef from home (frozen) into a coleman cooler, seal with tape and check as luggage. I have done this on two trips 24 to 30 hours total time, and meat products still frozen on arrival.The price of imported beef is high ($30. us per kilo). We were 4 travelling so I used one of the kids luggage allowance to bring my comfort food. welcome to Chiang Mai.

Hello

OK pwllgrgn, I have to be in the neighborhood of the AQO anyway today, and will pass by and ask. Hopefully they give me the paper rightway and I can send it to you. Will PM later.

Your an angel, I would be very very grateful. :D

Nienke

Hi

Thanks for the much appreciated help, everyone.

Any answers on that one?

We move to Chiang Mai in Mid Sep and are looking forwards to joining the expats club (Hi Alan) and making new friends.

Thanks again, all of you

Sue and John

Imported meat...beef/lamb etc are available in the big Supermarkets.I use Rimping,they have 4 supermarkets in Cm and have meat from New Zealand,Australia and USA and Kobe Beef from Japan.

I think they offer the best choices though Tesco and Carrefore are OK.

You will eat very well in Chaing Mai......enjoy!!

Plenty of choice in Dog food as well.

Any answers on that one?

Northern Farms on Huay Kaew road have a wide assortment of imports. Half way between Central Shopping Center and the University, left side of the road. Little difficult to see, maybe another member can give better directions.

Hi, Thanks for the reply,

I have actually been in to Northern Farms about 2 weeks ago when I stayed at The Holiday Garden (big mistake). I was looking for good beef and lamb from outside Thailand. Where do people get it? and also "scrumpy cider" and guinness.

Thanks for the info, we have the phone number of the owner of Northern Farms and will give him a call. I do not relish the Pattaya option of having stuff delivered in ice over night on the bus. Am also contacting Tower Bridge.

Thanks again

Sue&John