Incompetent Immigration Experience: A Complete Nightmare

A couple days ago I flew in after the long holiday weekend and the immigration queue was probably the most screwed up thing i've ever seen in any airport. It was even worse than the last time that I flew in. I estimated there were at least 10+ immigration counters open with slow as molasses frowning immigration officials acting the role of incompetent turds. The people waiting were VERY upset and the line did not move at any of the counters for a solid 20 minutes. I observed what the officials were doing at each counter and saw the following..one bored looking female official chatting with her friend. One sitting there staring blankly at a screen and not moving. one shuffling paperwork back and forth and slowly, another actually LEFT the counter to go get a drink and stopped to chat with her friend. :D

Finally one of the immigration pu yais told people in our line to shift over to a newly opened section about 30 meters away in a different part of the airport. A few people took off running to that counter and it slowly filled up to a large slow moving queue as well. :o

All told it took a solid hour to get stamped through. In contrast my experiences in Changi and Hong Kong took about 15+ minutes with about as many people waiting in line. Things aren't even this bad at Los Angeles International..the longest wait i've had there was 30 minutes even with the new homeland security song and dance regulations.

Edited by wintermute

I went thru Mae Sai border Tuesday, the last day of the 4 day holiday weekend. The queu on the Thai side was also much slower than usual.

I think the Thai workers are annoyed at having to be at work when they know most of their compatriots are doing the holiday thing and getting drunk. It's like schoolkids who have to stay after class to wash the windows while all their buddies are out playing at the ballfield.

Guest mascot

It seem to me that the IT system was having a problem. Why do people think the immigration are trying to give them a hard time everytime there is a problem.

It seem to me that the IT system was having a problem. Why do people think the immigration are trying to give them a hard time everytime there is a problem.

Search the archive.

The Thai immigration has a reputation.

They even had to develop training session recently to teach them some manners, no?

All the complaining about Thai Immigration, long queues, time to clear? The last time I returned to the UK, via thiefrow, big mistake, the queues were horrendous and certainly not many smilely faces behind the counters.

Can't honestly say I've had any major problems with queues commining in and over the last three years was comming inand out every couple of months. Best of all though is when the missus is with me, she just takes me through the Thai only counter with no problems.

Came in to Thailand the other week, at 7am, was still at the immigration counter at 8:30, slow moving long queues, insufficient counters open, staff over worked with new stupid visa rules. Staff not bothered about how fast they should work..

Nothing to do with any IT problem.

This is starting to be the norm at the new airport.

Don't know what they will do when the New Airbus xxx starts coming here.

how many people at one time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

All the complaining about Thai Immigration, long queues, time to clear? The last time I returned to the UK, via thiefrow, big mistake, the queues were horrendous and certainly not many smilely faces behind the counters.

Can't honestly say I've had any major problems with queues commining in and over the last three years was comming inand out every couple of months. Best of all though is when the missus is with me, she just takes me through the Thai only counter with no problems.

Im all right jack, comes to mind.

Slow immigration is the norm around the world.

We have a few excpetions like Singapore Changi airport.

If you gothrough without a long wait feelit is your lucky day or fly F class with TG and use the VIP counters in and out.....

staff over worked with new stupid visa rules.

The new visa rules are not necessarily stupid. What is stupid is that they don't seem to have the correct tools to implement and check them. I mean, how prehistoric is it having to look through the passport page by page and count up the number of days someone has stayed here without a visa? Fist of all, the immigration officer should ask the person whether he or she has a visa or not. And they certainly take their time to do whatever needs doing... in my case more than once eventually stamping the passport with a wrong date.

The last time I entered Thailand it also took me one hour to get through immigration. An annoyed guy from Bhutan standing behind me cursed the immigration officers, just as one was passing by... maybe not too good an idea...

And you're saying, cubes2, that you wouldn't be quite happy with your missus taking you through the same way? Yeah right.

Well put it this way,

when the day comes and your ten deep at the Thai immigration counter Falang and Thai wife each, I know exactly what will happen.

Get to the back of the foreigner line.

Enjoy it whilst you can.

TIT.

:o

Edited by cubes2

name='Levent' date='2007-08-03 09:54:05' post='1453079']

The new visa rules are not necessarily stupid.

Bit off topic but the new Rules have change nothing in Thailand for the good

All the naughty boys are still here.

Money is spent out side of Thailand obtaining Tourist visas or non 0 visas.

Increased work load for immigration staff.

Total hassle for people under the age of fifty.

Just a few things that spring to mind.

Bit of an own goal for Thailand I think.

:o

Edited by cubes2

No it's true. Immigration (entry) has become a lot worse in the last week.

There used to be four different immigration (entry) areas for passengers to use.

Now they have converted on of those areas to "Air Crew Only" and another to "Visa Application on Arrival Only".

Therefore now there are only two (entry) immigration areas open to normal (probably more than 95% of the) passengers.

I think the immigration officers are working normally, i.e. some are efficient and fast and some are really slow. But when you are standing in a line for an hour whatever the immigration officer does to waste time magnifies the frustration level.

There used to be four different immigration (entry) areas for passengers to use.

Now they have converted on of those areas to "Air Crew Only" and another to "Visa Application on Arrival Only".

Therefore now there are only two (entry) immigration areas open to normal (probably more than 95% of the) passengers.

I think the immigration officers are working normally, i.e. some are efficient and fast and some are really slow. But when you are standing in a line for an hour whatever the immigration officer does to waste time magnifies the frustration level.

Never had a problem, If you get bussed in (which i do alot ) you come up the escalator, hang a sharp right, and about 50 meters down there is a little , not well signaged exit........... you walk up a ramp and there are about 20 counters with immigration staff sitting there with no customers......... walk right up, stamp, and off to get bags.

When I head back to belt 9 or 6, yes, see lots of the passengers who were next to me in the plane who rushed out of the plane standing way way back in the immigration line.

There are 2 big exits left and right, and one tiny one in the middle no one seems to know about.

Dont know what all the fuss is about, love it compared to Don Mueng

Edited by skippybangkok

Well Skippy, those two little not well signed immigration areas are now closed to normal passengers. One is for air crew and the other is for those passengers filling out the visa application forms on arrival.

I used those also but they are closed to us now.

That's why immigration lines have become nightmares this week and ...... that's why there is this thread.

Never had a problem, If you get bussed in (which i do alot ) you come up the escalator, hang a sharp right, and about 50 meters down there is a little , not well signaged exit........... you walk up a ramp and there are about 20 counters with immigration staff sitting there with no customers......... walk right up, stamp, and off to get bags.

When I head back to belt 9 or 6, yes, see lots of the passengers who were next to me in the plane who rushed out of the plane standing way way back in the immigration line.

There are 2 big exits left and right, and one tiny one in the middle no one seems to know about.

Dont know what all the fuss is about, love it compared to Don Mueng

i came thru on the 19th. it looked a mess, but i was only in the queue about ten or 15. the chick at bell travel even said ... that was fast!

having said that .. there are now signs all over and i was panicked they would ask for an onward. she did, lucky i deflected he request and she forgot although i keep an old ticket on hand. this may be the issue - all the checking.

i think thailand has fobbed this job off to lower paid and lesser quality staff as well. used to be a bunch of govt proper govt officials, now seems every time im there its some chick about 24.

another thing too.... after they finish you its just another dope in line and then another so whats the impetus to rush? further, there are loads of stupid people in line they front up in masse, dont have paperwork... lots of dopes from india, etc... first time abroad.

but you could be right and would not surprise me - life is not getting easier.

sum nam nah for flying out of the country for 'holiday/visa run"

next time ... try india and post back, let us know how that went :-)

name='theseveredhead' date='2007-08-03 13:13:49' post='1453353']

next time ... try india and post back, let us know how that went

Got to say every time I been to Indian (Mumbai airport)

Never had a problem with slow immigration staff.

Just the sheer volume of people is to much some times.

delhi is a disaster. on the way in in no lie - had to keep the guy awake to stamp my pp. HEY..WAKE UP (3am).

on the way out i marked the page but the 'official' kept thumbing thru my pp. it was totally obvious he wasnt looking for anything, just admiring all the 75 pages and stamps. WASTING TIME (my)!

as soon as an uneducated indian gets a job sitting on their ass they become some of the laziest people on the planet.

sorry off topic

big a-hole: who you calling an imbecile? - i have an advanced degree and did an addl year at john hopkins on almost full scholarship?

Edited by theseveredhead

A couple days ago I flew in after the long holiday weekend and the immigration queue was probably the most screwed up thing i've ever seen in any airport. It was even worse than the last time that I flew in. I estimated there were at least 10+ immigration counters open with slow as molasses frowning immigration officials acting the role of incompetent turds. The people waiting were VERY upset and the line did not move at any of the counters for a solid 20 minutes. I observed what the officials were doing at each counter and saw the following..one bored looking female official chatting with her friend. One sitting there staring blankly at a screen and not moving. one shuffling paperwork back and forth and slowly, another actually LEFT the counter to go get a drink and stopped to chat with her friend. :D

Finally one of the immigration pu yais told people in our line to shift over to a newly opened section about 30 meters away in a different part of the airport. A few people took off running to that counter and it slowly filled up to a large slow moving queue as well. :o

All told it took a solid hour to get stamped through. In contrast my experiences in Changi and Hong Kong took about 15+ minutes with about as many people waiting in line. Things aren't even this bad at Los Angeles International..the longest wait i've had there was 30 minutes even with the new homeland security song and dance regulations.

You should try Riyadh KSA mate at least 2 hours every time - the Thailand in noramlly slow when they are having IS problems

name='theseveredhead' date='2007-08-03 13:36:17' post='1453401']

delhi is a disaster. on the way in in no lie - had to keep the guy awake to stamp my pp. HEY..WAKE UP (3am).

Sounds like bad news traveling to Delhi. :o

cubes check this: i had to put my carry on thru the xray. it did not have a tag. i could care less, that bag wasnt going to leave my sight. the guy on the other end of the machine insisted. so i put the tag on my bag and put an X on it (name) and tossed it thru. the tags were not property of the airport but a number of airlines. the guy put a big stamp on it (the indians LOVE to stamp things). i tore the tag off and tossed it at the guy. the really funny thing is .. he wasnt insulted and didnt care. his job: to stamp tags! this is the insanity of india.

sorry of topic. time for lunch. :o