Essential Expat Guide: How to Buy a Motorcycle in Thailand

19 hours ago, CharlieH said:

If you need to be told that you shouldnt bee on the road

It’s amazing how many people especially Americans forget what side to ride on over the last 19 years I’ve seen a fair amount especially in the evening 

• Agree 1

On 9/5/2024 at 10:22 AM, CharlieH said:

But beware, with the red plate, you can’t ride at night or leave the province.

Maybe in Bangkok?
Went to Phangna from Phuket and back, nobody stopped me.

• Like 1

On 9/5/2024 at 10:22 AM, CharlieH said:

Proof of residence: This can be a Certificate of Residence from Thai Immigration, a Work Permit (all pages), or an Affidavit of Residence from your embassy.

Or a yellow book, they do accept it.
Even without the original, just a copy signed by you.

Edited by Tim K
  • Thanks 1

On 9/6/2024 at 6:57 AM, Tim K said:

Maybe in Bangkok?
Went to Phangna from Phuket and back, nobody stopped me.

When I bought my first motorbike and truck new I drove it both at night and out of province. I do not agree with that law so I did not obey it.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/9/2024 at 8:19 AM, Lokie said:

No mention of having a motorcycle licence? Just buy a bike & away you go.... ??

This can be a 'maybe' depending on the dealership.

Bought a new Honda in December, dealer checklist requirement included my Thai drivers licence. This was for purchase, not DLT registration.

I was told afterwards (could be wrong but sounds plausible) it related to the year's insurance that came with the bike, ie can't insure an unlicensed rider. 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, arick said:

You dont need to know anything just have the cash.

Took me to three different Honda dealers to find one that would accept cash for a new bike (December 2023). Preference was to buy in wife's name and finance over 24, 36 or 48 months.

Honda currently advertising Wave 125 for 48 easy payments of 2194 baht. That's over 100k. 

14 minutes ago, gomangosteen said:

This can be a 'maybe' depending on the dealership.

Bought a new Honda in December, dealer checklist requirement included my Thai drivers licence. This was for purchase, not DLT registration.

I was told afterwards (could be wrong but sounds plausible) it related to the year's insurance that came with the bike, ie can't insure an unlicensed rider. 

The point was if giving advice to newbies in LOS on buying a bike - maybe a good idea to tell them to get a motorcycle licence if they have never passed a motorcycle test before...

How many clowns are riding about without correct licence here? Some people serioisly dont even think about it???

3 hours ago, gomangosteen said:

Took me to three different Honda dealers to find one that would accept cash for a new bike (December 2023). Preference was to buy in wife's name and finance over 24, 36 or 48 months.

Honda currently advertising Wave 125 for 48 easy payments of 2194 baht. That's over 100k. 

Because they want to earn and extra 40k on interest.