Canadian Embassy, Third World Service?

:o Hello all,

New to the forum but actually an old timer in Thailand, as my name suggests. Married to a beautiful Thai lady and have been in and out of Thailand for the past 15 years, mostly in, so to speak. I want to share a little unpleasant experience which I had recently.

A few weeks ago, I went to the Canadian embassy to apply for a visa. I was well disappointed and shocked with the negative attitude of the employees there. From the rude security guard to the obnoxious window clerk, the treatment I got there was not pleasant at all. I also observed that the local staffs appear to be more respectful and polite towards westerners than to Asians including the Thais. Why can they not show same mutual respect to their own kind??? Correct me if I am wrong, this is just my personal opinion. Anyway, from the first world embassy, the service I got was definitely third world.

Believe me, I know what third world is, I come from one. My own embassy in Bangkok is a red tape infested sh***t hole. I can take hardships and bureaucracy, it's second nature to us.

I have no grudge against the Canadian embassy, but really expected more professionalism from a supposedly the first world country.

If you have similar experiences, why not vent them out to us here.

Because we have more important things to do?

Maybe? It's not like people were there for 'freebies'. We duly paid for what was asked from us, is one asking for too much to have something fair in return? Just felt that sub-standard service I got doesn't reflect the, supposedly first world status of Canada.

regards,

I was at the Canadian Embassy last December and they were friendly, thorough and efficient with me. Subsequently, I have submitted a long list of questions in preparation to have a friend apply for a visitor's visa to Toronto. They provided an answer with good advice over the internet within a day. In about ten day's time, the application for the temporary visitor's visa will be submitted and there may be an interview. I am trusting that the service will continue to be as professional and helpful as it has been up until this moment from both the Thais and Canadians working at the Embassy.

I've had great service from the Canadian staff there, but the Thais in the visa section are useless. IMO they shouldn't be employing locals in that capacity. As for the Thai reception and security staff, they were always pleasant to my wife and I.

I've had great service from the Canadian staff there, but the Thais in the visa section are useless. IMO they shouldn't be employing locals in that capacity. As for the Thai reception and security staff, they were always pleasant to my wife and I.

Perhaps, if your are a Farang-Thai pair, you get better treatment. My Thai wife was told to leave the reception area and directed to the ground lobby by that rude security guard. I thought, fair enough...as the place was packed with genuine applicants... but was not too happy though when I realized that many others were allowed in with their companions, not as assistants but just to be there together !!!!! Did asked the guard casually how the visitors' scene was monitored but all I got was..blah..blah.....and nonsense. Just curious, was not expecting sensible reply from the guy anyway. Nevermind....

During my 2 hours wait, I also witnessed how one of the young girl at the window ungraciously guiding a group of senior Laotian ladies in what appeared to be a corrections exercise on the forms. Don't know the extent of the problem but judging from the stern look and the body languag of the window girl, it was as if the Laotians have commiteed some wrongdoing, the anxiety was all over their faces. What a contrast to jollying attitude the little girl was affectionately displaying with several men-westerners earlier in the queue. Mind you those hapless Laotian ladies were well dressed, very senior and seemed quite polite, it's hard to imagine what provoked the girl to such unwarranted reaction other than (racism) ???? I just did not expect that sort of scene in a embassy of a country that prides itself modern and multi-cultural.

Don't know if it is really practical to have these these positions manned by Canadians, but a Canadian supervisor readily available for consultation on the spot or closely supervising these ignorant locals could do a great service to Canada.

regards,

• 1 year later...

New to the forum but actually an old timer in Thailand, as my name suggests. Married to a beautiful Thai lady and have been in and out of Thailand for the past 15 years, mostly in, so to speak. I want to share a little unpleasant experience which I had recently.

A few weeks ago, I went to the Canadian embassy to apply for a visa. I was well disappointed and shocked with the negative attitude of the employees there. From the rude security guard to the obnoxious window clerk, the treatment I got there was not pleasant at all. I also observed that the local staffs appear to be more respectful and polite towards westerners than to Asians including the Thais. Why can they not show same mutual respect to their own kind??? Correct me if I am wrong, this is just my personal opinion. Anyway, from the first world embassy, the service I got was definitely third world.

Believe me, I know what third world is, I come from one. My own embassy in Bangkok is a red tape infested sh***t hole. I can take hardships and bureaucracy, it's second nature to us.

I have no grudge against the Canadian embassy, but really expected more professionalism from a supposedly the first world country.

Write to the Privacy Commission and get what papers they wrote up on YOU, from there file a complaint to DFAIT in Ottawa (they cover their asses with a team of lawyers)

At least you will shake the tree that these embassy monkies live in.

They are there to serve YOU and not the other way around.

BTW, you would be suprised by just entering the grounds and your request makes for immediate right up on your personal issues.

Again, download " Privacy commission request form" and ask to see what they have written about you and take it from there.

Once you are in the Canadian Embassy it is like being in Canada. It gives you a little dose of what you are missing at home. Did you ever expect efficient and friendly service from a government office in Canada? Maybe visit the embassy more often, and you will really never want to leave Thailand! :o

• 1 month later...

RANT.doc

RANT.doc

RANT.doc

Had similar experience to you in London UK applying for a visa for my Colombian wife. Despite meeting all entry requirements ie Marriage, Unlimited leave to remain in UK, plenty of funds(own 3 houses in UK) etc visa was refused without proper explanation. The staff at the consulate were unfriendly,monosyllabic,rude individuals with a poorly organized queue system.