Faulty Door Seal Causes Discomfort On Jetstar Flight

peter991

OK my comments have only related to comparing the old Qantas to this

new offshoot ................ So to all those Instant Experts out there

you may wish to comment on the following article :-

'Botched repair' forced emergency jet landing

11/06/2007 - 18:08:17

An Aer Lingus jet with 237 passengers and crew on board was forced to make an emergency landing at Shannon Airport after vital repairs were not done correctly, a report revealed today.The plane was en-route from Dublin to New York's JFK after stopping off at Shannon when the pilot was forced to drop to 10,000ft as cabin pressure went out of control.The aircraft was only a few miles over the Atlantic when forced to turn back. Even though the plane had been checked two days earlier, the repairs were not properly done in Dublin. A five man team, including four mechanics, had never replaced a seal on the doors of the Airbus 330 before. They fitted it inside out and upside down.

The emergency landing occurred August 18, 2005. No-one was injured.

The crew leader in charge of the team and two of the mechanics had 15 years experience whilst the two junior mechanics had combined experience of 12 years.An Aircraft Accident Investigations Report said the door seal could be considered a safety critical task..Investigators said, however, there were mitigating circumstances as his attentions had been divided between two aircraft he had been working on.

But they said the mechanics team did not understand how the seal functioned in flight.

"This serious incident should signal the need for a review of the contractor's initial and ongoing training system," their report stated. The faulty seal caused pressure in the cabin to plummet.

"It is therefore possible that judgement may be impaired to such an extent that corrective actions associated with dealing with an emergency situation may lead to an inappropriate response which could endanger the aircraft..

OK my comments have only related to comparing the old Qantas to this

new offshoot ................ So to all those Instant Experts out there

you may wish to comment on the following article :-

'Botched repair' forced emergency jet landing

11/06/2007 - 18:08:17

An Aer Lingus jet with 237 passengers and crew on board was forced to make an emergency landing at Shannon Airport after vital repairs were not done correctly, a report revealed today.The plane was en-route from Dublin to New York's JFK after stopping off at Shannon when the pilot was forced to drop to 10,000ft as cabin pressure went out of control.The aircraft was only a few miles over the Atlantic when forced to turn back. Even though the plane had been checked two days earlier, the repairs were not properly done in Dublin. A five man team, including four mechanics, had never replaced a seal on the doors of the Airbus 330 before. They fitted it inside out and upside down.

The emergency landing occurred August 18, 2005. No-one was injured.

The crew leader in charge of the team and two of the mechanics had 15 years experience whilst the two junior mechanics had combined experience of 12 years.An Aircraft Accident Investigations Report said the door seal could be considered a safety critical task..Investigators said, however, there were mitigating circumstances as his attentions had been divided between two aircraft he had been working on.

But they said the mechanics team did not understand how the seal functioned in flight.

"This serious incident should signal the need for a review of the contractor's initial and ongoing training system," their report stated. The faulty seal caused pressure in the cabin to plummet.

"It is therefore possible that judgement may be impaired to such an extent that corrective actions associated with dealing with an emergency situation may lead to an inappropriate response which could endanger the aircraft..

Well it seems that in that case, seal was not put in the right position (They fitted it inside out and upside down)

preventing it from doing what it's been designed for. It is in my opinion different from the Jet Star case.....

Great positive input, as usual !

You feel yours is any better?

Well it seems that in that case, seal was not put in the right position (They fitted it inside out and upside down)

preventing it from doing what it's been designed for. It is in my opinion different from the Jet Star case.....

In your opinion, huh? Based on what? Your crystal ball? Why is this anything different? Who says this couldn't have been the case here too?

Edited by Phil Conners

I think you must joking around with us because i dont think

anyone could under normal circumstances come out with

such an ignorant statement :o

Being first only proves he has too much time on his hands.

Even a broken clock is 100% accurate sometimes.

Great positive input, as usual !

I thought he'd wussed out and had me on ignore still. :o

Poor Philly still has that nasty chip on his shoulder I see.

Your obsession with me is flattering mr conners. :D

Edited by cdnvic

cdnvic and Who, me instead of descending to petty bickering

would you care post something definitive on this thread to support

your obvious esteemed opinions - for example where you actually

present on the flight ? When you say " It is in my opinion different from the Jet Star case"

-please tell us what this opinion is based on.........????????? :o

Was I present on the flight? No.

Do I know how a door latches in an A330? Yes.

As for the exact method of installing the seal, that's beyond my scope of knowledge. (and seemingly beyond Jetstar's)

Edited by cdnvic

As for the exact method of installing the seal, that's beyond my scope of knowledge. (and seemingly beyond Jetstar's)

Really cdnvic if you are going to profess to be an instant expert on these issues at least you had

better get your aircraft models correct because Jetstar dont have any A330's in their fleet :o

The Jetstar Fleet

They're new and beautiful. They're bold and vibrant. Keep your eyes peeled for our fleet of A320s.

Really cdnvic if you are going to profess to be an instant expert on these issues at least you had

better get your aircraft models correct because Jetstar dont have any A330's in their fleet :o

The Jetstar Fleet

They're new and beautiful. They're bold and vibrant. Keep your eyes peeled for our fleet of A320s.

Are the new jetstar fleet equipped with draught free outside toilets :D and abin staff that dont look like dame edna :D Nignoy

PS the photo is of 2 jetstar cabin staff arriving for duty in Brisbane

post-11182-1186598656_thumb.jpg

The Jetstar Fleet

I never claimed to be an expert, but I know my aircraft well enough to know an A330 when I see it.

79526624.c5Rgnr1J.JETSTARAIRBUSA330200SYDRFIMG_9360.jpg

Jetstar-0037-2006.jpg

EBD%20Jetstar%203.jpg

http://www.jetstar.com/about-us/our-fleet.html

Still laughing Midas?

Edited by cdnvic

Still laughing Midas?

Nice photos and so obviously they now have A 320's and A 330's in their fleet

- so where does it say this flight in question used the A 330 ???? :o

They use A330s for their flights to Thailand because the A320 lacks the range.

You're on the internet man, look it up.

Amazing thing is that Jetstar just won " Worlds Best low cost carrier".

Got a sneaking suspicion that alot of Jetstar employee's logged on the competition.

After all last year British Airways won best Airline!

I want to ad a few comments to the discussion.

I flew budget for the first time, and chose Jetstar for a return BKK-Sing-BKK. The flight departed on time, the service was good. Drinks and sancks sold at reasonable prices. And what I liked mostt about Jetstar was the leather seats and the wonderful legroom. I don't recal getting as much legroom with Qatar Airways when I flew with them a couple of months ago...

As for the door problem... Well it does worry me and does make me think again before deciding to fly them again. But then again which airline is completely 100% safe? Brand new planes from top airlines have in the past fallen out of the sky for some reason........

Anyone flown with Tiger Airways of Singapore? comments please.....

Some people dont realise its called a budget airline for a reason. If it was the same standard as Singapore Air then no other airlines would be flying still.

If you take the 200 baht bus to Chiang mai from Bangkok which stops evrery 20m then you shouldnt expect the same comfort as the 800 baht V.I.P bus.

Whats the differnce with airplanes?

Some people dont realise its called a budget airline for a reason. If it was the same standard as Singapore Air then no other airlines would be flying still.

If you take the 200 baht bus to Chiang mai from Bangkok which stops evrery 20m then you shouldnt expect the same comfort as the 800 baht V.I.P bus.

Whats the differnce with airplanes?

I've never heard of bus falling 30,000ft with 300 people on board.

Sure you can live with budget seats the problem is making sure they don't try and "Budget" on the maintenance at the same time.

It was more of a comfort issue rather than a safety issue, therefore it was probably decided they should carry on. If the plane had been a concord where people had paid 100,000 baht for a ticket then they might land as the highest level of comfort is expected.

It was more of a comfort issue rather than a safety issue, therefore it was probably decided they should carry on. If the plane had been a concord where people had paid 100,000 baht for a ticket then they might land as the highest level of comfort is expected.

And what about not having properly qualified engineers to check the

planes - if you think that is a " comfort issue " -I am certainly

very " comfortable " about that :o

If you are not sure about a budget airline to Singapore then you will be as soon as you get dropped off in Singapore airport siberia at the 'low cost terminal'...... if you have a connection from Tiger airways plan some time to hike it to the other terminals.....