Prenup Uk V Thailand

Peekasoo

Hi, wonder whether anyone has experience in this and can advise.

I'm planning to marry my Thai girlfriend in Thailand later this year. The plan is to then apply for settlement in the UK. The intention is that she works following settlement.

She suggested arranging a prenup. While doing this is a relatively simple process in Thailand and it is a legal document in that country, as we shall be living in the UK where I have some modest assets I wonder whether I should arrange for a UK prenup to be produced instead of the Thai equivalent. If I do the latter then I understand that parties have to have a number of weeks to consider the document and take legal advce. This may not be easy to do remotely ( ie me in the UK, girlfriend Thailand). Additionally in the event of a divorce conducted in Thailand I guess that a UK prenup wouldn't be considered.

I understand the lack of legal standing of prenups in UK law but that they are being coming more influential in divorces.

Appreciate any help.

• 1 year later...

I'm planning to marry my Thai girlfriend in Thailand later this year. The plan is to then apply for settlement in the UK. The intention is that she works following settlement.

She suggested arranging a prenup. While doing this is a relatively simple process in Thailand and it is a legal document in that country, as we shall be living in the UK where I have some modest assets I wonder whether I should arrange for a UK prenup to be produced instead of the Thai equivalent. If I do the latter then I understand that parties have to have a number of weeks to consider the document and take legal advce. This may not be easy to do remotely ( ie me in the UK, girlfriend Thailand). Additionally in the event of a divorce conducted in Thailand I guess that a UK prenup wouldn't be considered.

I understand the lack of legal standing of prenups in UK law but that they are being coming more influential in divorces.

Appreciate any help.

Did you get any response to your query? did you get a prenup in Thailand? if so who prepared it.

Currently getting things sorted out myself similar to you. Your advice appreciated.

Appreciate any help.

Movie stars love'em but what do you want a prenup to do for you? Protect your assets in the case of a divorce?

But you say you don't have much. In any event in Engllish law the broad presumption is that assets you bring to the marriage you take with you on divorce... is it not? I studied this far too long ago.

I'm amazed she asked for a pre-nup. Why? Does she have assets she wants to proytect in case of a divorce or what?

Remember that in English law marriage revokes an existing will so if you die hideously while making the groom's speech at the reception, she takes all your assets. If you want some to go to your old muvver then you need to sign a new will before you open the champagne.

This surely is the key step that's important.

And be nice to her and give her most of your dosh anyway so you don't have to divorce anyway.