Learning Thai

game4shame

i'm looking to seriously expand on my (limited) knowledge of the thai language. i'd prefer to learn with audio to try and nail the pronounciation.

i've had a scan in some bookshops etc (UK) and the 'linguaphone' package always seems to pop up.

any advice?

cheers

game

:o

The Benjawan Poomsan Becker series are very good and are now on cd also. One in particular I like is 'Speak Like A Thai" I found that one in Thailand but I bet it can be found online also. One in particular I use more than any other is called 'Thai Interactive Language System'. It is very good for learning the alphabet and vowels along with short and longer phrases too. I'd recommend this above all others I've used, and I think I've used them all..! I found it online I can't remember where but it is made or distributed by Courage Software. www.couragesoftware.com

[email protected]

hope that helps

dave

The Benjawan Poomsan Becker series are very good and are now on cd also. One in particular I like is 'Speak Like A Thai" I found that one in Thailand but I bet it can be found online also. One in particular I use more than any other is called 'Thai Interactive Language System'. It is very good for learning the alphabet and vowels along with short and longer phrases too. I'd recommend this above all others I've used, and I think I've used them all..! I found it online I can't remember where but it is made or distributed by Courage Software. www.couragesoftware.com

[email protected]

hope that helps

dave

thanks for the reply.

I just noticed the link on this website: http://store.thaivisa.com/home.php?cat=4

can anyone provide feedback on these products?

I haven't used any of those, but I'd be leary of anything that claims 'Easy Thai'. They usually just have some tourist phrases and no grammer or sentance structure. Some of the dics look like they might be worth checking out, they usually have some grammer hints, but don't really explain anything too well. One other series I like is by David Smythe, Teach Yourself Thai. Covers reading, speaking and writing. Maybe someone who used some of the others could tell you some more.

dave

I think I've used them all. Courage didn't impress me. Rosetta Stone gets high marks. For the beginner, Benjawan Poomsan Becker's "Thai for Beginners" computer program is excellent, especially to teach recognizing different tones, different meanings. The "Speak Like a Thai" series is good, but is only useful in a setting with a CD player and the book in front of you, don't try to use it in a mobile situation, such as while driving. Still, I was able to impress my แฟน (girlfriend) when I've come out with a few of the phrases in this series. It helps a lot if you can read Thai so as to get the tones right.

• 1 month later...

Amate of mine has some courses on his MP3 player, had a little listen to a bit the other month and they sounded okay to learn from. They start from basic to advanced.

Will drop him a line and ask him if he can e-mail me the files and try and pass them on.

Cheers.

A mate of mine has some courses on his MP3 player, had a little listen to a bit the other month and they sounded okay to learn from. They start from basic to advanced.

Will drop him a line and ask him if he can e-mail me the files and try and pass them on.

Cheers.

cheers acq. :o

I have ordered benjawan poomsan becker's ''thai for beginners'' on textbook/CD. hopefully arrive this week but I'll happily accept any other help.

The most expanded Thai dictionary softwares with human voice can be found in Thaivisa store - CLICK2THAI and SPOKENTHAI. The first one has a list of thousands words and it's very easy to use by a simple click on a word to hear and see the Thai script. The second includes in addition thousands of sentences. Another excellent speaking dictionary is QUICKTHAI.