Please Settle Debate About Bkk And Nyc

SiamSquare123

BKK vs NYC  

142 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I think without living in NYC its a bit unfair to pass judgement. BKK certainly feels a lot more safer than most cities and towns in the UK. I do know that the 'Warriors/New Jack City/Deathwish' image NYC used to have is a thing of the past now due to the 'broken windows policy' by a maverick NYC mayor in the 1990s.

I'd take a flying guess that organised crime is a lot more powerful in NYC than BKK and possibly some petty crime as well.

Yeah, I think without living in NYC its a bit unfair to pass judgement. BKK certainly feels a lot more safer than most cities and towns in the UK. I do know that the 'Warriors/New Jack City/Deathwish' image NYC used to have is a thing of the past now due to the 'broken windows policy' by a maverick NYC mayor in the 1990s.

I'd take a flying guess that organised crime is a lot more powerful in NYC than BKK and possibly some petty crime as well.

Of the 25 largest cities in America, NYC ranks 23rd for crime rate. Of the 182 cities in America with population over 100,000, NYC ranks136th for crime rate, about the same as Boise, Idaho.

IMO Bangkok appears to me to be safer than NYC in the sense of violence. I think the big difference in the cities is not as much in directed violence but rather in the chance of someone minding their own business being subject to the higher incidence of random violence by nut cases and gangs which are both very prevalent in the US major cities. In the sense of driving, I think NYC is a much safer place to drive than Bangkok. Driving in Bangkok is suicidal for me.

I have spent time a lot of time in both places and would never want to live permanently in either: the main reasons being tremendous air pollution in Bangkok and the cold winter weather in NYC.

Whether Bangkok is more dangerous or not I know I'd much rather live here than NYC. People, food, character, value for money, soi dogs... and in any case whatever British, US or other government websites may claim I also feel much safer here than many Western countries (apart from when on the roads perhaps).

NYC's crime rate has been in freefall for 10-15 years now.

Yes, though, that was not the question (or perhaps just a small part of the question).

It was about SAFETY. It's a complete no-brainer. From dogs to dengue, from electricity to construction, from (lack of) standards, responsibility and accountability about just about anything..

Honestly this one does not need a poll other than to see how delusional the TV readership is at this moment in time. :o

Edited by Sanpatong

Oh no, another 'Safety in Thailand' thread.

Ask your Thai wife/girlfriend how safe she feels in Thailand - In almost all cases her 'Thai' understanding of the issue (informed by her deep understanding of her own culture) is almost certainly going to be a bit more jaded than a foreigner's 'relatively superficial' understanding of crime in Thailand.

If you don't have a Thai wife/girlfriend walk around any Thai neighbourhood and count how many houses are covered in bars and security grils.

And, as so often with polls (or elections and REFERENDUMS for that matter), people answer a different question to what is actually asked.

It's not a poll on 'where would I rather be right now', or 'how much do I dislike America'.

It plainly asks where you or your family is more likely to get hurt/injured in any way, never mind what the cause.

If you don't have a Thai wife/girlfriend walk around any Thai neighbourhood and count how many houses are covered in bars and security grils.

Again, crime is just part of it. It's got as much to with in which locality you will find child-safe caps on potentially dangerous substances as it does with crime. You can't even begin to list the things that are FAR better managed in NYC. Heck, what happens if you do get into an accident, what kind of ambulance shows up, and when, and what staff and equipment can you expect? It's an utter no brainer, why am I wasting time on this.

[ And I have grills on the windows so I can keep them open all the time also when I go to Tescos. You'll appreciate that in a tropical country. ]

Edited by Sanpatong

Yes, though, that was not the question (or perhaps just a small part of the question).

It was about SAFETY. It's a complete no-brainer. From dogs to dengue, from electricity to construction, from (lack of) standards, responsibility and accountability about just about anything..

Honestly this one does not need a poll other than to see how delusional the TV readership is at this moment in time. :o

And your point is???

And your point is???

Ok, whatever that thing is you have on your head in your avatar picture: it isn't helping! :D

Edited by Sanpatong

if you avoid bangkok where do you live? dont you get bored?

I love Thailand and hate America, and I'd pick Bangkok over 98% of all the other cities in the world to live.

-- But that was not the question --

You can objectively recognize that it's not among the safest places in the world in just about any aspect you wish to highlight.

Edited by Sanpatong

It plainly asks where you or your family is more likely to get hurt/injured in any way, never mind what the cause.

If that was the way the question was asked then I would have rephrased my previous answer a little. NYC would be a hands down winner if you are considering all the ways you or your family can be killed/hurt/injured/sickness/desease and the chances of getting quick and excellent medical care if something does happen to you.

If you look at the life expectancy statistics for both places, I think it would be hard to argue the point. All this being said, if I had to choose between the two places as a place to live, I would choose BKK without any question. :o

I voted NYC as worse but there's definitely more racism for monetary gains here. As for crime on tourists you could probably find figures somewhere for that. I'd bet more foreigners are murdered in BKK but more victims of harrassment, threats or muggings in NYC. Rape could be 50-50.

• 11 months later...
Rape could be 50-50.

Rape is perhaps the most under reported crime anywhere on the planet. Particularly so in conservative cultures.

Get to know more than a half a dozen Thai women and I would be very surprized if you do not learn that many have been victims of rape.

Rape could be 50-50.

Get to know more than a half a dozen Thai women and I would be very surprized if you do not learn that many have been victims of rape.

So you are saying that 1 in 7 Thai women have been the victim of rape ? :o

What total rubbish.

Guesthouse, I know you don't live in Thailand, where do you get your Information from ? Was your wife a victim , was her mother, was her sister. aunt, niece ?

How do you come to the conclusion that most Thai women have been raped ?

Rape could be 50-50.

What total rubbish.

Guesthouse, I know you don't live in Thailand, where do you get your Information from ? Was your wife a victim , was her mother, was her sister. aunt, niece ?

Guesthouse knows Thailand well. I agree that many Thai women are raped or sexually assaulted by members of their own family.

Rape could be 50-50.

What total rubbish.

Guesthouse knows Thailand well. I agree that many Thai women are raped or sexually assaulted by members of their own family.

Show me some hard evidence.

Was your wife ever raped ?

I've just gone into my garden to do a quick poll amongst the 8 young women who are sitting in the gazabo, guess what, none have ever been raped by a family member or anybody else.

But you live in Japan :D

Phu Kradung is in Japan ? :o

I've just gone into my garden to do a quick poll amongst the 8 young women who are sitting in the gazabo, guess what, none have ever been raped by a family member or anybody else.

But you live in Japan :D

Phu Kradung is in Japan ? :o

And a beautiful place = do you really thin that any of the 8 girls are going to tell you (in front of everyone)that they were raped?