Train Trip From Kul To Bkk

brianw

I am planning to travel from kula lumphur to bangkok by train I would like to travel 1st class sleeper if possible I have been told that I will have no problem on the Malaysian railways but the Thai railways only have 2nd class sleepers on this route does anyone know if I can book the whole journey in one go or will I have to book 2 parts and also has anyone done this trip and can give me some advice brian

I am planning to travel from kula lumphur to bangkok by train I would like to travel 1st class sleeper if possible

You will need to take two trains to cover the Kuala Lumpur-Bangkok route:

The Malaysian KTMB-run Langkawi Ekspres plies the Kuala Lumpur-Hat Yai route. This train offers first-class sleepers from Kuala Lumpur to Pedang Besar (i.e. the Malaysia-Thailand border). Take first-class to Pedang Besar and then a third-class seat for the short hop from the border to Hat Yai.

The Thai SRT-run International Express plies the Butterworth-Bangkok route. This train offers first-class sleepers from Hat Yai to Bangkok (i.e. not all the way from Butterworth).

I am planning to travel from kula lumphur to bangkok by train I would like to travel 1st class sleeper if possible

You will need to take two trains to cover the Kuala Lumpur-Bangkok route:

The Malaysian KTMB-run Langkawi Ekspres plies the Kuala Lumpur-Hat Yai route. This train offers first-class sleepers from Kuala Lumpur to Pedang Besar (i.e. the Malaysia-Thailand border). Take first-class to Pedang Besar and then a third-class seat for the short hop from the border to Hat Yai.

The Thai SRT-run International Express plies the Butterworth-Bangkok route. This train offers first-class sleepers from Hat Yai to Bangkok (i.e. not all the way from Butterworth).

Only 2nd class seats between Butterworth and Hat Yai on the International Express (36)

Edited by Big A

thanks for info. just two more points would it be easier to get the train direct from Singapore to bangkok rather than Kula lumphur to bangkok. Also I have booked all our tickets on our trip around the Far East on the internet is it possible to book the train trip on the internet. as I do not want to be messed around by different railway companies i.e Mala Thai

thanks for info. just two more points would it be easier to get the train direct from Singapore to bangkok rather than Kula lumphur to bangkok.

No. There is no through train from Singapore-Bangkok (aside from the luxury E&O train, costing US$1860 for a one-way ticket!). You would need to take a Malaysia-run KTMB train from Singapore to Kuala Lumpur for that leg of the journey. A Singapore to Bangkok rail journey is a minimum of three separate trains.

is it possible to book the train trip on the internet.

The KTMB website offers e-tickets and online booking for the Malaysian trains. No such facility exists for the Thai trains.

Although Hat Yai station has been a target in the past in general you are not that close to the problem provinces (tracks divide there and you go southwest). I would not consider that trip as unsafe.

Thank you Lopburi3- that makes me feel better!

K