Am I Getting A Reasonable Buy?

toptuan

The vehicle:

1986 BMW Sedan

Motor replaced with used Nissan motor

Body seems in good condition

Owner says everything (but A/C, and odometer) in working order

Owner is aunt of a close friend; owner bought car for 80,000B two years ago; no trouble in two years

Current owner bought from private party two years ago

Mileage on body or motor unknown

The Price:

Asking 50,000B

My needs:

Have used a motorbike for 4.5 years. Would like something dry for transportation to work during rainy season. Short trip to work (about 2 km). Would use motorbike most of the time, otherwise. Would like to use car for medium-length trips (200 km) on weekends. Strictly utilitarian purpose--don't really care about looks or being "out-of-date."

Your thoughts? Advice?

I'm not to sure about prices of used cars in thailand, but if you compared it with a uk used car of the same age etc, it seems rather expensive.

If you can can put up with the air con not working then you might be ok, but if you want to get it repaired it might cost you the price of the car again in parts and labour.

Offer them 30K

Just my two bobs

Mark

Stay away. Spend a little more and get a "true" toyota. You could be plugging tons of baht in to the car.

Don't know how expensive BMW parts are here, I had a Bmer in the states, never again. Had to have the most repairs of any car I've owned (13).

Don't do any friends/relatives a favor.

Stay away. Spend a little more and get a "true" toyota. You could be plugging tons of baht in to the car.

Don't know how expensive BMW parts are here, I had a Bmer in the states, never again. Had to have the most repairs of any car I've owned (13).

Don't do any friends/relatives a favor.

as old as this is be prepared to keep digging in your pocket for parts all the time ,if you buy this you will regret it ......

I really don't know why they do this. The bmw engine is such as good engine, if only they serviced the thing. You will get 140,000 miles out of a 4 cylinder and 200,000 miles out of a 6 cylinder, note we are talking miles here, so why are there so many low mileage bm's with toyota engines.

Ok, back on topic. Regardless of what car it is you are looking at the bottom of the rung thai vehicle. It's the equivelent of your 50 quid banger back home with no mot. If you're not mechanically minded and don't know what you are looking at then I suggest walking away.

I've owned three 6-cylinder bmw's and think they are great. Bought cheap cars in the uk, checked them over well beforehand, and ran them into the ground. Rear wheel drive means sideways on every bend. Have taken out numerous brick walls, sunk 'em in mud and had to 'panel beat' them with a lump hammer, and still they worked. When the suspension was too far gone I would bin it and get another. Still used to change the oil tho

I assume its a 318 e30? Even for this car it is very cheap, top ones go for 200,000 and the average one about 120,000. The parts arnt that expensive but you probably will have to buy a fair few if you want the car to feel like a BMW and not a bag of bolts.

I've owned three 6-cylinder bmw's and think they are great. Bought cheap cars in the uk, checked them over well beforehand, and ran them into the ground. Rear wheel drive means sideways on every bend. Have taken out numerous brick walls, sunk 'em in mud and had to 'panel beat' them with a lump hammer, and still they worked. When the suspension was too far gone I would bin it and get another. Still used to change the oil tho

Back in the UK, how much did you buy 'em for (approximate in Baht), and how old were they? I'm thinking of runnin' this one into the ground too (unless that's already happened. :o )

Back in the UK, how much did you buy 'em for (approximate in Baht), and how old were they? I'm thinking of runnin' this one into the ground too (unless that's already happened. :o )

320i 17yrs old 45,500 baht

325i 19yrs old 31,500 baht

325i 20yrs old 28,700 baht

The first one was the best. One owner from new, full service history, passenger seat hardly used, ashtray and ciggie lighter unused. Then I got hold of it. It was criminal really. Thinking about them now, I really miss them. They had loads of nice little touches you wouldn't expect from a car of that age. Would seriously like air-con in thailand tho

I bought my daughter a BMW as she graduated from university - a classic 2002 that was at least 17 years old then. Within two years, she replaced it with a new VW Jetta. Too expensive.

As the characters said in the Jonathan Winter sketch about crawling across the desert on their last ounce of energy, and the wife tries to eat a lizard: "Martha, don't touch that thing. You don't know where it's been!"

I just got a 1991 BMW 318i and I love it, really good cars. Its in tip top shape though so I dont need to worry about expensive repairs. If you buy a banger then expect to spend lots of money just keeping it driveable, better to spend the extra now and enjoy the extra comfort and performance.

I disagree with all the comments above. Yes, it is more expensive than what you would pay back home. ALL cars are here. FULL STOP.

Ive just done a quick search on one2car.com to come up with something in your price range. Heres what i came up with. (bear in mind that these are dealer prices, so take 20% off for a private sale).

1980 Peugeot 504 - 70,000THB

1986 BMW 318 - 85,000THB

1992 Diahatsu Mira - 99,000THB

There isnt anything there (on the first 10 pages at least) less than 70,000.

Your paying 50,000THB for a car that the previous owner says hasent had any trouble. Toyota engine parts are cheap. Thai mechanics are cheap and if you dont care what it looks like then youve got nothing to worry about. Accept that it will cost you a bob or two in the long term, but nowhere near as much as the difference between what you are looking at and an equivalent age Jap car.

In answer to your original question, yes, i think you are getting an OK deal.