Fuel Consumption

• 4 weeks later...
[Amazingly enough, the car's computer is quite accurate as far as fuel usage.

Bought a 'Fortuner' 3 litre diesel some 3 months ago and have been doing the fuel comsumption figures tank full to tank full and found that the car's computer was very accurate. I'm getting about 9km/l at the moment on short runs ( less than 12kms) and suppose that it will improve as the engine settles in and would expect to get 12/13km per L on a decent run in the future - don't know if that is about the right figure - and NO I'm not a heavy footed driver, far from it!

hi cheshire, ( by the way i,m from congleton ,cheshire )

my nissan is a navara 2.5 diesel 4 door ,only 2 wheel drive , in the book it says 144 BHP. i bought it 3 months ago 1st June .i payed 649,000bt cash with the extras added plus insurance, at the time i did,nt know you could get a 3.0lt nissan in thailand . all the other makes seem to be coming down to 2.5lt also on diesels ....

I WAS a Nissan fan but since they made the truck bigger and the engine smaller, I won't buy another one. They have that little 2.5 liter hopped up so they can say it is the most powerful pickup in Thailand. I would guess engine life will be shorter and fuel economy will suffer. I'll be keeping my 3.0 liter non turbo 2004 for a long time. It's a great dependable truck. I expect it will run forever.

Actually my impression is that diesel engines in pick up trucks here don't deliver much power and torque. Maybe it's measured differently or so, I don't know. I just compare numbers in the magazines and brochures, because I plan to buy a car (a pickup maybe).

Nissan Navara: 2.5 l, 174 HP, 403 Nm

To compare I just looked up the specs from a car in Europe that I know:

• 1.9 liter diesel engine from Opel (Vauxhall) Zafira delivers 110 kW (150 HP) @ 4000 rpm; 320 Nm @ 2000-2750 rpm

I believe other brands have similar specs for their diesel engines.

Maybe engine life is shorter, maybe it requires more maintenance, I don't know. Maybe it's just a more modern engine design?

Navara's engine is more what I expect from a diesel engine, not those Vigo's and Tritons.

Why is it that the other pickup trucks need a 3 liter engine to deliver this kind of power and torque? I don't know what is better.

I also have a new Nissan navera 4 door 4x2. I believe I get about 15km/L. This is after some mod's.

1040km/68L diesel=15.29km/L or 36mpg US or 43mpg UK

From new this truck gets about 10-12km/L, in normal drive'n conditions. As I sell mod's for Diesel engines, I have spent alot of time in Nissan shops and have talked to many people about Milage. 18km/L is very high! You should be happy with this! Ad never sell it, as it is a one of a kind!

Ah, my only real pet hate about the now 3 month old Isuzu Highlander 3.0L auto I have.

The last couple of weeks have seen about 8.3km/litre around Pattaya with no long runs. This is up from 7.something for the first month or so.

Its going in for its first 5k check up and this needs to be addressed as I was hoping for say 10km/L around town and maybe 12/13km/L on a run.

I check on the onboard computer and on the full tank to full tank and the computer is nearly spot on. I don't drive like a pussy and Pattaya is all stop start with lights everywhere. When cruising and I reset the computer, I can get about 12 but after just a short time back in town the average goes way back. I think it must be running "rich" as they used to say before computers etc.

Torr

As your truck engine breaks in you will start to see better and better milage. Diesel engine take around 10k-15k to really break in.

Around 8km is good for city drive'n stoplight to stoplight , fuel, brakes, fuel, brakes!

Remember it is a truck not a car! Alot more dead weight to move.

Urban drive'n is not what your little truck was made for, city drive'n is for car's, though Thailand believes that a pickup truck is a car. We don't buy trucks in our homelands to drive to the market or resturant. We buy them to work and haul things and most times not for milage.

It will get better , but remember it is a truck!

As for the running rich, just look behind you it there is a cloud of smoke following then it is rich!

if you are looking for a little help with milage in the Urban jungle Pm me and I may have some products for you.

I think the new diesel truck owners will be pleasantly surprised after the engine and drive train loosens up. My Nissan's kilometers per liter went up more than ten percent after about 25,000 kilometers. I HOPE my car does the same.

Just about all of the above posts are depressing me. Just checked yesterday and our 2 year old Ford Ranger Hi-Ranger 2.5L turbo diesel got 9.6km/L on a 300km trip. I love the truck but am now wondering if Ford has a vested interest in any of the oil companies.

rgds

Trucks in Thailand are made for city driving. They are usually more fuel efficient than cars, mostly because they run on diesel.

So how are they different from other countries. Truck is a truck, Thailand exports more then half the trucks they build.

Those trucks are the same as Thai trucks. It's all in the sales pitch! Car's hands down are more efficient then trucks and ment more for city drive'n. Thai's love trucks because of the ability to pack more, and cheaper prices/taxes.

Just about all of the above posts are depressing me. Just checked yesterday and our 2 year old Ford Ranger Hi-Ranger 2.5L turbo diesel got 9.6km/L on a 300km trip. I love the truck but am now wondering if Ford has a vested interest in any of the oil companies.

rgds

Unfortunately Ford had the deserved reputation for being fuel guzzlers. Last year they came out with their new common rail Diesel. I had an article that I now can't find that said the economy improved over 25 percent. During the road tests, Ford came in just behind Isuzu/Chevy for number two in fuel economy.

Torr

As your truck engine breaks in you will start to see better and better milage. Diesel engine take around 10k-15k to really break in.

Around 8km is good for city drive'n stoplight to stoplight , fuel, brakes, fuel, brakes!

Remember it is a truck not a car! Alot more dead weight to move.

Urban drive'n is not what your little truck was made for, city drive'n is for car's, though Thailand believes that a pickup truck is a car. We don't buy trucks in our homelands to drive to the market or resturant. We buy them to work and haul things and most times not for milage.

It will get better , but remember it is a truck!

As for the running rich, just look behind you it there is a cloud of smoke following then it is rich!

if you are looking for a little help with milage in the Urban jungle Pm me and I may have some products for you.

Thanks for putting a smile on my face on what has been a very poor day :D

Send me your products please though I'll admit i am hesitant to mess about with what the guys who spend billions came up with - lack of knowledge I assure you.

I was just about to post up asking what power, handling and speed improvements I could do to the truck seeing as though it is giving such poor fuel economy, I might as well have some fun and lower it even more ! :o

Unfortunately Ford had the deserved reputation for being fuel guzzlers. Last year they came out with their new common rail Diesel. I had an article that I now can't find that said the economy improved over 25 percent. During the road tests, Ford came in just behind Isuzu/Chevy for number two in fuel economy.

Yeah the new common rail is far better, 12 km/L without too much difficulty from my 3.0 XLT 4x4 :o

What about converting to NGV? What sort of cost, what sort of mileage would you get, and is NGV the same price as LPG? I don't see a whole lot of NGV around?

Good question,

I am just in the works of trying to import a LPG gas system for Diesel engines.

So how are they different from other countries. Truck is a truck, Thailand exports more then half the trucks they build.

Those trucks are the same as Thai trucks. It's all in the sales pitch! Car's hands down are more efficient then trucks and ment more for city drive'n. Thai's love trucks because of the ability to pack more, and cheaper prices/taxes.

Some models are meant for moving things - stiff, manual transmission, 4wd etc etc., others, like 4 door versions, have softer setup and 2wd. New trucks come with all the gadgets and creature comforts one expects from a car, even DVD players. Next will be keyless ignition, I suppose.

Of course they are not as agile as little Hondas, but good enough for city driving by Thai standards. Any new commonrail truck will have same fuel efficiency as Honda Jazz nearly half its weight.

Deisels ARE more efficient.

I'm getting about 14km/litre from my 2007 Toyota Vigo 4x4 dual cab...and it's an auto. Mostly highway use 100-120km/h. No complaints.

Wonder why Fortuners seem to get such poor mileage. Seems many may be doing city driving. Can't understand why you'd need a fortuner in the city. I have a Honda Jazz for that, and it gets great mileage too.

Now I know why Fortuners are driven so fast....either they have to get to the service station soon....or owners think the faster they get from A to B the less fuel they will use.

:o

Some models are meant for moving things - stiff, manual transmission, 4wd etc etc., others, like 4 door versions, have softer setup and 2wd. New trucks come with all the gadgets and creature comforts one expects from a car, even DVD players. Next will be keyless ignition, I suppose.

Of course they are not as agile as little Hondas, but good enough for city driving by Thai standards. Any new commonrail truck will have same fuel efficiency as Honda Jazz nearly half its weight.

Deisels ARE more efficient.

Never said they weren't Diesels are more efficient, hands down. But truck aren't as efficient as cars, That was my point!

I don't know how you rate efficient but I can tell you that my old Nissan diesel gets 13 to 15 kilometers per liter and my car gets 9 to 13 kilometers per liter. The truck drops only a little for local driving and the car drops MUCH more. My next car will be a diesel or I WON'T have a next car.

Never said they weren't Diesels are more efficient, hands down. But truck aren't as efficient as cars, That was my point!

We don't have diesel cars in Thailand, hence local trucks (diesel) are more efficient than local cars (gasolene).

VW Passat TDI must consume half of a local truck, but they are very very rare.

Diesel BMWs and Benzes are as heavy as trucks, no big difference in fuel consumption.