2 Day Trip Out Of Chiang Mai?

Fire

Hi All,

Can you please recommend some nice places out of Chiang Mai for a 2 day trip?

I don’t want to drive more than 2-3 hours out of Chiang Mai. Some place nice that also have a nice place to stay nearby. (I am flexible with what I need)

Thank you All...

Drive thru Doi Inthanon National Park to Chiang Rai.

1)Go down the River Kok in a long tail boat

2)Go the Chaing Saen Lake & see the ruins in Chaing Saen

3)The Golden Triangle would be a further 20 mins down the road ,with the views & Opium Museum.

Perhaps the journey is further than you had planned ,but there should be enough activities for 2 days including travel.

:o Wiley Coyote

Edited by wileycoyote

Drive thru Doi Inthanon National Park to Chiang Rai.

1)Go down the River Kok in a long tail boat

2)Go the Chaing Saen Lake & see the ruins in Chaing Saen

3)The Golden Triangle would be a further 20 mins down the road ,with the views & Opium Museum.

Perhaps the journey is further than you had planned ,but there should be enough activities for 2 days including travel.

:o Wiley Coyote

errr......isn't Doi Inthanon the opposite direction to Chiang Rai?

Hello: He's Wile E. Coyote. He drives to Doi Inthanon, straddles a giant skyrocket that shoots him to Phu Chee Fa, the very edge, then falls off it into Laos.

wile_e_coyote.jpg

All aboard; WileyCoyote off to Chiang Rai

Beep beep.

Edited by Sanpatong

Anyway:

1 day trip: Ob Khan Gorge, Mae Sa Valley Loop, Up to Doi Pui summit and villlages in the area

2 day trip: Chiang Dao (www.chiangdao.com), or Trekker's Lodge (Mae Khachan)

3 day trip: Pai/Soppong

4+ day trip: Full Mae Hong Son Loop, or Fang - Thao Ton -> Doi Mae Salong or river trip to Chiang Rai, Chiang Saen, Phayao, Lampang, Chiang Mai.

I think Doi Inthanon is ok if you can give it time for true trekking / exploration; just driving to the top is a bit anti-climactic.

Hello: He's Wile E. Coyote. He drives to Doi Inthanon, straddles a giant skyrocket that shoots him to Phu Chee Fa, the very edge, then falls off it into Laos.

wile_e_coyote.jpg

All aboard; WileyCoyote off to Chiang Rai

Beep beep.

:o Nice Cartoon,sorry you were correct about the directions

chiang rai is an obvious;

as to Pai - we have done it but I wouldn't bother a second time - the road is a bas***d. It takes three hours of twisting and turning up and down hill but if that turns you on - fine - i found it too much effort for too little reward. I was driving a 3liter hilux auto _ i would have given up if I was driving a manual and I would have looked found the nearest place selling beer -had a kip by the road side and gone home.

Doi Ithanon is doable - easy - the chiang mai - hang dong road and its continuation down to the DI turn off is a bit of a bore - but DI worth doing (once). also remember to drive past the temples on the main road to the highest point in Thailand.... another couple of klicks

A good book to get hold of is the "Best Motor Cycle Rides in Northern Thailand and the golden triangle" - you can do them by car (obviously)

a nice ride (certainly on motor bike (the best 100km bike ride in thialand) and also in a car) is the Soamoeng Loop ( I have spelt it wrongly I think) - go to Mae Rim turn left and lust follow the road to Soamoeng visit the village, do a U turn, and then continue on your way --- don't go back to Mae Rim just go straight on. You eventually arrive at Canal Road about 3 km from the Night Safari entrance. Actually, I prefer it the other way (i.e from Canal Road near Baan Nong Kwai) because towards the end of the journey, just before the MAe Rim traffic lights, we turn right to the Waawee coffee shop (about 1 kn from the main road) which is next to an art gallery and very relaxing.

UP to you , one mans meat other mans corn flakes etc etc

enjoy

About 2 hours SOUTH (just to be different) you have Lampang, Sawankhalok, Sukhothai and lots of other historically interesting places. You can get chauffered round Lampang in a pony and trap, visit Sri Satchanalai historical park - bit like Sukhothai but a lot quieter and prettier, see the North's biggest Buddha at Sawankhalok (good photo opportunity), right by the roadside and spotlessly whitewashed - huge he is - nothing that size in Bangkok.

Also gives you Lamphun as a diversion and stop off on the way back.

Plenty of guest houses in Lampang but a bit thin on the ground between there and Sukhothai.

Gaz

• 2 weeks later...
Hi All,

Can you please recommend some nice places out of Chiang Mai for a 2 day trip?

I don't want to drive more than 2-3 hours out of Chiang Mai. Some place nice that also have a nice place to stay nearby. (I am flexible with what I need)

Thank you All...

Mae Ngat dam is very nice. check out our web site and search for Mae Ngat www.citylife-citylife.com

Pai is about three hour drive, but quite a gruelling one. I'd recommend if you can put up with driving in the mountains.

Anyway:

1 day trip: Ob Khan Gorge, Mae Sa Valley Loop, Up to Doi Pui summit and villlages in the area

2 day trip: Chiang Dao (www.chiangdao.com), or Trekker's Lodge (Mae Khachan)

3 day trip: Pai/Soppong

4+ day trip: Full Mae Hong Son Loop, or Fang - Thao Ton -> Doi Mae Salong or river trip to Chiang Rai, Chiang Saen, Phayao, Lampang, Chiang Mai.

I think Doi Inthanon is ok if you can give it time for true trekking / exploration; just driving to the top is a bit anti-climactic.

Yes, that's pretty much what I would recommend as well. Have to agree about Doi Inthanon as well (boring isn't it, all this agreeing?). The only thing I was really impressed with there was the cool mossy forest with the wooden walkway up on the very top.

I just wish it could have been a bit more quiet and fewer bags of Lay's lying around.

Yes, that's pretty much what I would recommend as well. Have to agree about Doi Inthanon as well (boring isn't it, all this agreeing?). The only thing I was really impressed with there was the cool mossy forest with the wooden walkway up on the very top.

i could spend hours on the walkway, especially in winter! lovely. :o

I just wish it could have been a bit more quiet and fewer bags of Lay's lying around.

Yes, that's where Lays Chips grow. About the only true attraction there. The forestry people seemed to have missed them with their signage, indicating what types of trees there are. So next time I'm getting some "Solanum Tuberosum Fritolayum"-cards printed to properly credit them.

No we're talking about the forest up on the summit of Doi Inthanon.

chang ria stay 1 night lots of hotels to choose next day maisai golden triangle princess gardens beautiful not to be missed one night casion hotel burma by golden triangle have a flutter get duty frees