Rigid Glass-fiber Insulation

backflip

Do a search for "staycool". There's been a few posts about it in the forum.

My post from last year.

"The one I used is known as Staycool and quoted to me by Homemart as 270 Baht for 2.4 Sq meter packs."

Edited by Farma

insulation, 1-2 inches thick, with aluminum foil on one side.

= wasted money. you might as well put old editions of Bangkok Post on your ceilings. try 6 inches / 15 cm fiber insulation with alu foil on both sides.

= wasted money. you might as well put old editions of Bangkok Post on your ceilings. try 6 inches / 15 cm fiber insulation with alu foil on both sides.

Bangkok Post shredded with borax and boric acid added as fire retardent and rodent deterent makes a great insulation that is every bit as good inch for inch and centimetre for centimetre as fiberglass batts.

chownah

Bangkok Post shredded with borax and boric acid added as fire retardent and rodent deterent makes a great insulation that is every bit as good inch for inch and centimetre for centimetre as fiberglass batts.

chownah

i agree. but where to get that much?

chownah

i agree. but where to get that much?

I think that there is a Thai company that has already collected the paper, shredded it with the additives and will apply it in the cavity of your choice...all for a price...of course....can't remember the name of the company though.....the generic name for this is cellulose insulation...but we're getting way off topic here....if the OP wants that fiberglass board then it probably means they want some rigid board type stuff....but actually I think they do compress some of the shredded paper stuff into panels of some sort or another....don't know how good the stuff is though.

So....I guess I can not exactly answer your question about "where to get that much" but I can answer the question "where to get that mulch".

Chownah

Siam Fiberglass has a web site and a very thick catalog, green in color. I asked at Home Mart Max in Buriram for all of the catalogs they could give or loan me on Fiberglass and the product you mention is in the 1/2 or 3/4 inch thick CATALOG that is 10" by 12". A large catalog that had a green cover. The web site has an ENGLISH version you can download. www.siamfiberglass.com Different stores gave a different price quote on the 200 rolls of Stay Kool we ended up selecting for our application.

Slightly off topic but related to house cooling and insulation, how do these fiberglass insulation products compare for cooling effectiveness and cost with the spray-on PVC foam type insulations?

Which is better in cooling or are they similar and price is the main consideration? I am thinking about that Siam Cement fiberglass insulation that is green and comes in rolls and that you can get up to like almost a foot in thickness.

• 5 months later...

Bump. The Staycool insulation rolls available in Homemarts and Homepros come in standard size 4m x 0.6m, but I would be happier with rolls 6m x 1m, given the confiuration of the beams under my roof.

Any pointers to suppliers other than Staycool in Bangkok would be much appreciated. :o

Edited by pete_r

• 2 weeks later...

Try http://www.coolorcosythai.com/th/ - they have English or Thai pages

I had them install fibreglass bats in one house and the "paper wool" blown in the ceiling of the other house

both in Nakhon Sawan.

The service was fast and communication very good in English.

Cool or Cosy are a subsidiary of an Australian company.

The man to deal with is Stephen D. Griffiths

Natural Insulation (Thailand) Co., Ltd.

98/45 Moo 11, Phuttha Monthon Sai 5 Road, Tambol Rai King,

Amphur Sampran, Nakorn Pathom 73210

Tel no ; 662-811-9511-2 Fax no.; 662-811-8093

Xerostar, big thanks for the link. I had heard that cellulose insulation was available in Thailand, but I had given up finding a supplier.

I've also found the website of Siam Fiber Glass (same company that supplies the Staycool brand, but here they offer different sizes):

http://www.siamfiberglass.com/final/produc...structure1.html

They even list their prices:

http://www.siamfiberglass.com/final/produc...ture-pirce.html

Having looked under my roof, it seems that I can either fit the insulation under the roof tiles, or lay it on the suspended ceiling.

I'm wondering which of these two options is the most effective to keep the rooms below cool, so any insight or experience would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Pete

Having looked under my roof, it seems that I can either fit the insulation under the roof tiles, or lay it on the suspended ceiling.

I'm wondering which of these two options is the most effective to keep the rooms below cool, so any insight or experience would be much appreciated.

One of our houses had a suspended ceiling.

Cool or Cosy recommended the fibreglass wool "Envirobatt" for this house.

I think it's because the blow-in "Supacell" material can leak through the gaps around suspended ceiling panels and create a dust problem.

Supacell is better suited to full span conventional plaster ceilings that don't have

any holes or gaps where the stuff will get through to the living area.

I would install the "Envirobatts" and if that is not enough, then install "Sarking" material under the roof tiles as well.

According to a search on Google:

Sarking is a medium weight aluminium foil consisting of two layers of aluminium foil and paper laminated,

bonded with flame-retardant adhesive and reinforced with 13g/m2 fibreglass yarn in a tri-directional pattern.

Sarking acts as a waterproof membrane and vapour barrier, when installed beneath the primary roofing material, it provides a secondary barrier against moisture, wind, heat and dust penetration.

Due to its high reflective properties, the use of Sarking with an associated air space provides thermal insulation in

domestic, industrial and commercial buildings, cold stores and cool rooms.