How Can You Retire At 50?

simon43

This is not a question about Thai retirement visas? It's more of a rhetorical question!

I see that Thai immigration rules allow us foreigners to obtain a 'retirement' visa at 50 years old, and I read from various postings that indeed, a number of farang have done just this.

My question is, what on earth do you do all day!!??

Since you are not allowed to work in LoS, what do you do? Sit in the pub and drink yourself to an early grave? Or get fcuked to death by a string of BGs? or what!!??

I'm 45, so only a few years to go before I can theoretically stop work and take things easy. But I guess I must be a really boring person because I cannot imagine not working!! :D

My father is now 86 and still works in his study every day. I'm the same. I enjoy work and reckon I would go ba-ba bor-bor if I wasn't working.

So, love to hear what you old codgers get up to every day :o

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Travel ! Go to the beach. Walk through the rainforest. Take a trip down the Mekong. Visit little villages in the middle of nowhere. There's enough stuff in Thailand to keep you occupied for 20 years no problem :-)

I met a middle aged English guy once, he was working his way up the coast with the aim of visiting every beach in Thailand. He seemed pretty happy :-)

Well, really its a plane answer on a plane question....i wont last until 50....i working around 20 ours day's to keep my kids future.

But i guess i aint in you're catagory, hehe.

I see that older guy's around 50 also....and i wont be there.

I allso stay in los.....as its said.

Here in LoS I usually get up at 6am and start work around 7.30am, working through until about 10pm (Ok with breaks and I'm the boss so the stress is low!). But I'm happy!!!

But I can't believe that all the old guys are storming through the Thai jungle on a 20 year expedition :o

Travel ! Go to the beach. Walk through the rainforest. Take a trip down the Mekong. Visit little villages in the middle of nowhere. There's enough stuff in Thailand to keep you occupied for 20 years no problem :-)

I met a middle aged English guy once, he was working his way up the coast with the aim of visiting every beach in Thailand. He seemed pretty happy :-)

no cerebral stimulus though , its all eye candy and nasal candy ..

i agree with the poster ,must be very boring retiring in LOS.

there are so many western hobbies and interests and business thingys that cannot be pursued in LOS .

guess it depends on each individual on what they personally need for self fullfillment ..

and how involved they are back home in the west .

Well in a way you are lucky to not know how a retired

person fills the day. That means your responsibilities

consume your time with work and/or family.

For me, I have so many interests and hobbies I wonder

how I ever had time for those 14 hour days in Silicon

Valley, CA. I did enjoy my work in a fascinating field

of electronics. But now tennis, billiards, reading the paper,

internet communications with friends and favorite chat

rooms, movies, going out to dinner, going to the beach,

travel, family events or emergencies ........ all fill my time up nicely.

I may sign up for some volunteer work to feel that sense

of contribution again, but maybe not.

One day at a time.

One day it all ends for all of us.

Carpe Diem

The derogatory spin to many of the posts so far is interesting in and of themselves.

The "golden years", regardless of when they start, are the years one finally becomes free of the contraints of earning a living. What one does with ones time when retired varies as widely as individuals do. I have always felt that boredom shows a lack of immagination.

Those who cannot imagine what one would do if he weren't working, must indeed be fairly limited in their recreational interests. All the time I was working, from age 11 and my first newspaper route, until 63, when I retired, I was dreamig of what I would do if I didn't have to earn a living. Now, I am free to pursue those dreams, desires and interests without time contrstraints.

I have never been happier and visiting friends say I have never looked better. Lifetime medicated high blood pressure is now normal without medication, if you need factual proof of the foregoing.

There are many who just can't handle retirement for whatever reason and they too have freedom, to return to work and many do so. Those who are are so fortunate as to "love" what they do to earn money, may well have difficulty giving that up, and why should they?

Many expats plain "just don't like" living in the west and the freedom to move to Thailand in retirement is their ultimate reward. As for me, I create "my own corner of the world" wherever I may be, so I am not in that category.

My days are full and filled with the freedom to do what I want, when I want and how I want and to not do most things until I feel like it. For one who worked for 35 years in a profession that demanded scheduling of my time tightly for three months in advance, I am fully enjoying my freedom from the "rat race".

The derogatory spin to many of the posts so far is interesting in and of themselves.

The "golden years", regardless of when they start, are the years one finally becomes free of the contraints of earning a living.  What one does with ones time when retired varies as widely as individuals do.  I have always felt that boredom shows a lack of immagination. 

Those who cannot imagine what one would do if he weren't working, must indeed be fairly limited in their recreational interests.  All the time I was working, from age 11 and my first newspaper route, until 63, when I retired, I was dreamig of what I would do if I didn't have to earn a living.  Now, I am free to pursue those dreams, desires and interests without time contrstraints.

I have never been happier and visiting friends say I have never looked better.  Lifetime medicated high blood pressure is now normal without medication, if you need factual proof of the foregoing.

There are many who just can't handle retirement for whatever reason and they too have freedom, to return to work and many do so. Those who are are so fortunate as to "love" what they do to earn money, may well have difficulty giving that up, and why should they? 

Many expats plain "just don't like" living in the west and the freedom to move to Thailand in retirement is their ultimate reward. As for me, I  create "my own corner of the world" wherever I may be, so I am not in that category.

My days are full and filled with the freedom to do what I want, when I want and how I want and to not do most  things until I feel like it.  For one who worked for 35 years in a profession that demanded scheduling of my time tightly for three months in advance, I am fully enjoying my freedom from the "rat race".

Now don't that take the cake, cept for our trades we pretty well did the same things,

I semi retired at 58 and finally guit working part time at some job when I was 65.

I have had no trouble keeping my self occupied specially as far as my mind goes.

I had always liked my work,what ever it was at the time,I wouldn't work a job if I didn't find it interesting.

no trouble at all if you can imagine, or have the intelligence to amuse your self. As long as you have the capitol to do it.

Guess ya gotta live part of your working life as a hopeless drunk to be able to enjoy what it really takes to be happy.

And you should do that just "ONE DAY AT A TIME"

I retired one year ago from public school teaching. I will turn 59 in September. I live in a bungalow near Jomtien Beach and am usually not bored. I go off on frequent trips with my 30 year old Thai girlfriend. She is seeing parts of the country she could never afford to go to and I am seeing things I probably would not have a chance to see on my own.

So, travel, reading, movies, motorbike riding, cooking and generally just keeping busy seem to keep me fairly content. I spend little to no time at the bars but enjoy sitting under a tree with a book and cool drink. :D:o:D

I am with you on this Simon, I am semi retired (work for myself in developing houses on my own land) and it is as boring as ###### and I am only 37. I could try and work more, but have no need or want. I am definately not motivated by money.

I see most of the retirees and others become alkys and bitter in my area as they have stopped living and tend to only exist.

I have been very lazy over the last year due to being wheelchair bound because of a rock climbing accident. I am out of the chair now but it takes a bit to get going as I got lazy through sitting for 6 months. I wrote a book in that time and posted "too much" on Thaivisa and other sites.

It has driven me around the bend and I think I will go somewhere and do some voluntary work until I work out what to do with the rest of my life. I have written to a few mates in Africa and we all might go to Sudan to "help" out with the UN or Amnesty.

Doing nothing all day after retirement would make me crazier than I already am. It would be like waiting to die I think.

BTW, I leave for Africa on the 4th of August.

One day at a time.

One day it all ends for all of us.

Carpe Diem

Paul - you've got it.

Live today - don't worry too much about tomorrow.

U tink tooo mut, teelack! (Anyone heard that one before?)

/// dfw

Doing nothing all day after retirement would make me crazier than I already am. It would be like waiting to die I think.

How many retiree posters here get a good days exercise in all that thai heat ?

apart from pumping the girl , do you work up a sweat and get the heart pumping hard ?

how many take the minumum 10,000 steps a day to keep the circulation in a reasonable state ? Do you exercise very much in the heat ??

From my observations farangs in LOS are unlikely to get off their bikes for a few steps and keep heart and circulation healthy.

apart from pumping the girl , do you work up a sweat and get the heart pumping hard ?

how many take the minumum 10,000 steps a day to keep the circulation in a reasonable state ? Do you exercise very much in the heat ??

From my observations farangs in LOS are unlikely to get off their bikes for a few steps and keep heart and circulation healthy.

well I am a fitness fanatic and the heat is the same as I have always been used too, except in my growing up years as I was in South Australia.

I agree with you that the majority of farangs do not do much as most of my mates here are a little on the large side and have a laugh when I jog around the area.

I would hazard a guess that I am propbably the most active guy I know on the Island as I am down the beach by 6.30 (most mornings) and run about 4 k, I ride there and back on my mountain bike, which is about 5 kilo both ways.

I think my biggest problem is not finding stimulating conversation or finding other farangs that have a similiar background to me. Unfortunately all I meet in business or socially are blokes that are fat bald and ugly, that came over here to shag women. Finding a person with depth is not as easy as it is back home, so you tend to hang with a few that have a bit more to say than "pumping the girl" . :o

Well I want to retire early because my old man worked for nearly 50 years and enjoyed 18 months of quality retirement ..... then 18 months of shit health and then pegged it .... 55 years of smoking didn't help tho.

With good health there are ample oportunities to do loads of different interesting things in LOS apart from drinking and sh*gging to an early grave!!

I retired last year at the age of 38. I've spent the past year chilling out in Thailand and after Xmas I'm travelling around the World for a couple of years.

Work is the only four letter word in my book.

I have been very lazy over the last year due to being wheelchair bound because of a rock climbing accident. I am out of the chair now but it takes a bit to get going as I got lazy through sitting for 6 months. I wrote a book in that time and posted "too much" on Thaivisa and other sites.

Hi Tornado,

Interesting to see another climber post here. I've spend some time in a wheelchair too, loooong time ago after I broke many bones. Lost three mates in climbing, have done most major climbs in Europe and Africa. If you wanna know more about climbing PM me.

How different we all are! What gives the OP a sense of purpose in life is anathema to me - I've just turned 43 and I've 'semi-retired' to LOS to escape the workaholic ratrace of the West.

I have no funds and I work voluntarily in return for food and accommodation. That meets my needs; recreation for me doesn't involve the expenses of alcohol or golf.

When I no longer want to teach or 'work' I think I might enter a Sangha (wat/monastery); in the meantime if you want to know how I 'fill my time', look at my sig!

Of course that makes me the ultimate bore to many people but as I say, we're all different.

I retired last year at the age of 38. I've spent the past year chilling out in Thailand and after Xmas I'm travelling around the World for a couple of years.

Work is the only four letter word in my book.

Done that, pretty boring after one year my friend.

And as money does not grow on trees you'll probably received your funds from the only four letter word in your book. :o

Darlek: Right on. Getting a proper workout is a real challenge for me in Thailand. Mindful of the studies that ascribe disuse atrophy as the primary danger in over 70 seniors, I have always included muscle training in my lifestyle.

Tennis has always been my sport of choice, however, only possibile for me in the winter months here due to the heat and humidity. Was very concerned about my physical condition as there are no aircon gyms nearby. So, I bought a four station home gym and an elaborate set of barbells, on sale, and an step machine, cheap one, and its all here for me in the comfort of my aircon home.

I have always been intrigued by people who live into their late eighties and nineties withou exercsing at all. You wonder if they would have lived longer with exercise? My mother's family have all been long lived so I am mindful that I don't want to push a walker for ten years or more, thus the concern for disuse atrophy.

The dimunition of enery as one gets older is the real bugaboo. Much as I want to, just getting it done can be a problem. Everything just takes more effort. Thus, when I get in the mood to do anything, I do it, knowing that mood won't always be there, as before. Increased energy is definitely a positive side effect of exercise, so the gradual slowing down and gradual dimunition of energy as a result thereof can be incidius for the elderly, who I define as over 75.

well I am a fitness fanatic and the heat is the same as I have always been used too, except in my growing up years as I was in South Australia.

I agree with you that the majority of farangs do not do much as most of my mates here are a little on the large side and have a laugh when I jog around the area.

I would hazard a guess that I am propbably the most active guy I know on the Island as I am down the beach by 6.30 (most mornings) and run about 4 k, I ride there and back on my mountain bike, which is about 5 kilo both ways.

I think my biggest problem is not finding stimulating conversation or finding other farangs that have a similiar background to me. Unfortunately all I meet in business or socially are blokes that are fat bald and ugly, that came over here to shag women. Finding a person with depth is not as easy as it is back home, so you tend to hang with a few that have a bit more to say than "pumping the girl" . :o

Got out of that wheelchair pretty quick eh?

I think my biggest problem is not finding stimulating conversation or finding other farangs that have a similiar background to me.

When you have as much intellectual acumen such as yourself Mr. Tornado, it's probably a bit of a challange to find someone of equal verbal skills! :o

I think my biggest problem is not finding stimulating conversation or finding other farangs that have a similiar background to me.

When you have as much intellectual acumen such as yourself Mr. Tornado, it's probably a bit of a challange to find someone of equal verbal skills! :D

You said in your PM's you were bored here :D back to the pit mate - you can back slap eachother for invading Iraq :o bye bye private! :D

When you have as much intellectual acumen such as yourself Mr. Tornado, it's probably a bit of a challange to find someone of equal verbal skills! :D

You said in your PM's you were bored here :D back to the pit mate - you can back slap eachother for invading Iraq :o bye bye private! :D

OK Sarge! A little "Jai Nooy" today are we? :D

I do not understand your question Chonabot? :o

6 months in a wheelchair was not quick and felt like 6 years.

Just a light hearted quip in retrospect of your first post and your second , if you read them in sequence it seemed like a fairly understandable comment , albeit rhetorical.