Help For High Speed Internet Access

togena212529

Need urgendly help for a better internet access to get rid of my pain causing TOT fixed line access. I unfortunately do live upcountry and everybody knows about the service friendliness and efficiency from TOT. So thats why I never can expext that my phone line will ever be improved or changed in an ADSL connetion. Have tried TOT's IPSTAR as well it was the same disaster, so for this reason I believe have to change my connection to one of Thailand's mobile networks like AIS or DETAC.

So what can I do to get high speed on my notbook via mobile network?

Am in possesion of one of the latest notbooks with all modern connection possibilities.

As far as I know currently the network suppors only GPRS and in a few areas EDGE technology.

Does someone know what kind of device I can use to get the maximum speed on my computer?

Or has someone a better idea how I can get real internet high speed to get rid of all the time consuming download time?

With your help you could make me one of the happiest expats of Thailand.

Need urgendly help for a better internet access to get rid of my pain causing TOT fixed line access. I unfortunately do live upcountry and everybody knows about the service friendliness and efficiency from TOT. So thats why I never can expext that my phone line will ever be improved or changed in an ADSL connetion. Have tried TOT's IPSTAR as well it was the same disaster, so for this reason I believe have to change my connection to one of Thailand's mobile networks like AIS or DETAC.

So what can I do to get high speed on my notbook via mobile network?

Am in possesion of one of the latest notbooks with all modern connection possibilities.

As far as I know currently the network suppors only GPRS and in a few areas EDGE technology.

Does someone know what kind of device I can use to get the maximum speed on my computer?

Or has someone a better idea how I can get real internet high speed to get rid of all the time consuming download time?

With your help you could make me one of the happiest expats of Thailand.

Yes i to have had this experance with TOT, but in Hua-Hin.So i used wireless and cancelled my land line.I will never use TOT again.

For the last month i was living 70km south of Buriram.

i rang 12call help line regarding using my Nokia phone and yes it can be done someone will ring you back within 4hrs. I went through this process three times and finally some one rang me. He said there are not many english speaking staff to explain the set up.

So we set up my computer, next was the phone ok. No my phone only had infared to comunicate with my lap top. My lap top has blue tooth NO infared.

Thats as far as i have got.

I have heard it can be done but its slow.

Another option i have heard of is using a USB device caled SOLOMON.The web site is www.solomon.th.com

May be others on this forum can help us please.

I am leaving for OZ today and will be back Jan,so am interested in options to use upon my return.

Not much help sorry

Guest Reimar

I think you soulg go to the Mobile Phone Shaps in your area to check out which service is available in your region. It could be GPRS, UMDA, Edge or so. GPRS is AIS, UMDA is Hutch and even CAT and EDGE is DTAC! If you have a GSM Dual Band Phone you could use either GPRS or EDGE, for UMDA you need a Hutch phone or an Aircard.

But check The Coverage area first otherwise you on the same "bad" connection.

You can use your phone + computer for GPRS or EDGE speeds with AIS.

However, be forewarned: It's slow. It's ###### slow. Even with EDGE it's very slow. You can check emails at this speed comfortably, but you don't want to be surfing the web.

If you can get DSL in your area, search for an alternative DSL provider, and, barring that, make the local TOT guys your friend by giving them whiskey or whatever else they like. TOT can work fairly well and in almost all cases will beat GPRS / EDGE for speed.

[Having said that my own TOT line just went to shi_t - no idea what happened but I suddenly have tons of noise on the line that wasn't there before and now it disconnects regularly. It was fine before though]

How-to for AIS: If you are clueless about these things, just go to the nearest AIS / Telewiz shop and have them set it all up for you. I am sure they will even set up your laptop so it connects via bluetooth if you appear clueless + friendly enough. Bluetooth can be really crappy to set up so I would recommend that route if you don't have a friend nearby who can do it for you. In my experience, and I have helped many ppl around me set this up, there is just too much that can go wrong with Bluetooth - from differences in the different phone models to bugs in either the computer software or the phone software, to the magic access number you have to know, it doesn't make any sense.

Alternatively:

- For pre-paid AIS, call *138, select a package. Example, 20h @100 BHT / month, 100h @ 350 Bht/month etc.

- Call *139 to check your remaining hours

- On the laptop, set up with whatever bluetooth connection you have, then use the bluetooth "Dial-Up Connection", and enter *99# and no username or password when prompted.

- You can also use your phone via USB cable but I haven't done that. Depends on the phone model and included software.

This is the brief description of how to do it. It may or may not work for you. If it works, great. If not, there's about a zillion things that could have gone wrong :o

I think you soulg go to the Mobile Phone Shaps in your area to check out which service is available in your region. It could be GPRS, UMDA, Edge or so. GPRS is AIS, UMDA is Hutch and even CAT and EDGE is DTAC! If you have a GSM Dual Band Phone you could use either GPRS or EDGE, for UMDA you need a Hutch phone or an Aircard.

But check The Coverage area first otherwise you on the same "bad" connection.

Thanks for your Answer. Have got a quadband motorola V3 mobile. It should be able to recieve an EDGE signal if one would be available, but it shows me only the GPRS signal. I am useing AIS prepaid card because the signal is quied strong and as a modem it works with 115 kbt/s during the day and it's getting slow at nights or when it's cloudy. This mobile modem is not really a solution for me, but if DTAC has got the EGDE signal available in my region then I have to go to them to get the right information.

You can use your phone + computer for GPRS or EDGE speeds with AIS.

However, be forewarned: It's slow. It's ###### slow. Even with EDGE it's very slow. You can check emails at this speed comfortably, but you don't want to be surfing the web.

If you can get DSL in your area, search for an alternative DSL provider, and, barring that, make the local TOT guys your friend by giving them whiskey or whatever else they like. TOT can work fairly well and in almost all cases will beat GPRS / EDGE for speed.

[Having said that my own TOT line just went to shi_t - no idea what happened but I suddenly have tons of noise on the line that wasn't there before and now it disconnects regularly. It was fine before though]

How-to for AIS: If you are clueless about these things, just go to the nearest AIS / Telewiz shop and have them set it all up for you. I am sure they will even set up your laptop so it connects via bluetooth if you appear clueless + friendly enough. Bluetooth can be really crappy to set up so I would recommend that route if you don't have a friend nearby who can do it for you. In my experience, and I have helped many ppl around me set this up, there is just too much that can go wrong with Bluetooth - from differences in the different phone models to bugs in either the computer software or the phone software, to the magic access number you have to know, it doesn't make any sense.

Alternatively:

- For pre-paid AIS, call *138, select a package. Example, 20h @100 BHT / month, 100h @ 350 Bht/month etc.

- Call *139 to check your remaining hours

- On the laptop, set up with whatever bluetooth connection you have, then use the bluetooth "Dial-Up Connection", and enter *99# and no username or password when prompted.

- You can also use your phone via USB cable but I haven't done that. Depends on the phone model and included software.

This is the brief description of how to do it. It may or may not work for you. If it works, great. If not, there's about a zillion things that could have gone wrong :o

Hi nikster,

yes, sometimes I have to use my mobile phone as a modem by AIS net work because my TOT line get many times a day disconnected and I have to pay an additional 3.-- Bhat to them. Every month I have to pay between 350.-- and 500.-- Bhat for all this stupid disconnections. DSL and ADSL would be a dream for me but it will never become true because TOT is serving in our area the line and they rae not willing to improve the situation. So I am forced to look for a different technology like mobile networks from AIS or DTAC.

I would like to use an air card like E 500 or E 800 which are sold by AIS but before I spend such a lot of money I have to know on what kind of technical status the networks are running on. I have to follow your hint and have to go to one of AIS/Telwiz and DTAC shops and hopefully anyone can speak english.

I used the i275 Solomon GPRS/WLAN and it worked when the tower first went in our area then as more and more people got service it started hanging up every two minutes. They only use the extra bandwidht and cell connection get pri and push GPRS connection offline. The day edge started my service whent to 5 kps and never recovered. I don't know why your ToT sat didn't work mine has been a dream. Even when GPRS worked before it is upcountry and was speed trapped at 33K you could tell, connect with P2P already online and it started out 64k within one minute the trap catchs it a watch it slow down to 33k everytime a big rip off I don't trust they will be any better about edge after they get enough connected.

I used the i275 Solomon GPRS/WLAN and it worked when the tower first went in our area then as more and more people got service it started hanging up every two minutes. They only use the extra bandwidht and cell connection get pri and push GPRS connection offline. The day edge started my service whent to 5 kps and never recovered. I don't know why your ToT sat didn't work mine has been a dream. Even when GPRS worked before it is upcountry and was speed trapped at 33K you could tell, connect with P2P already online and it started out 64k within one minute the trap catchs it a watch it slow down to 33k everytime a big rip off I don't trust they will be any better about edge after they get enough connected.

Hi RKASA,

thanks for your reply. The TOT sattelite dish has gone already because was tired about all TOT caused problems like unable and unfriendly TOT staff, no one speaks a word of english, poor service and so forth. After three month of massive problems I phoned them to dismantle everything.

i have used prepaid happy dtac for gprs internet for a couple years w laptop and mobile. works ok for email and websurfin...does not always work for large downloads(bigger then a few megabytes, thaivisa site also quite bloated..why don they optimze?..do we really nn 24 million colors for a blog!!!). have used all over thailand and wherever there is a datac signal it works. of course sometimes it stalls...but u cant beat the noncomitment and the rate. 1 day unlimited is 42thb...1 week unlimited is 270thb...got to watchout for the expiration though of your purchase because then it reverts back to 1thb per 10kb flow......drains the prepaid fast...i use a toshiba portege 333mhz w 64mb ram and win 98se..can work in my skivies from most locations