Linksys Wireless-g

kayo

Hiya all,

I've been using, for the past year or so, a linksys Wireless-g notebook adaptor for my Wifi needs.

I've got a twin slots on the left hand bottom corner of my compaq Evo N600c laptop, and have always had it in the bottom of the two slots.

I often take it out, when not using the net, primarily to avoid unecessary overheating of the laptop.

This morning however, when re-inserting it, it would appear one of the pins that it plugs onto is broken.

Fine, no worries, have the twin slot above it. So I inserted the card there, and it registers the Wifi router I use, but doesn't log on.

Apparently I have to make a new "Connection".

Okay, so I enter all the details such as WEP etc... but now it tells me that although my signal strength is excellent, I have "no or limited connectivity" and I cannot connect at all.

Does anybody have any ideas what to do?

I would assume you mean the USB ports. If so then you may have to uninstall any software you have for it and run the install steps over again. My GPRS modem used USB port and it was vary picky about which slot. If I changed I had to redo the install which req. I uninstall run a setup then plug it in. After that I could use that slot. One would think it would be plug and play, but it was always funny about how it was connected. Sometimes I would use an extention cable and it only like certain ones, even if the cable was OK. My GPRS modem had a switch on the back and was also used for Wireless its a wireless GPRS combo.

hi rkasa, thanks for the reply. It ain't the USB however. I don't know what the slots are called, but they are wide and very narrow and have many many very little pins. Basically the connection slots look like what you connect the hard drive to, but smaller and I think more pins.

Guest Reimar

It's a PCMCIA Connector!

You may need to create a new connection because the 2 PCMCIA Ports are seperate and you have to register each of them extra. Masy you need to update the Bios of your Laptop!

"Limited or no connectivity" usually means you've not received an IP address from the DHCP server (in your router).

First thing to check is that you've entered the security keys correctly, it may look like it's connected, but it 'aint really :o

Try turning security off on your router (turn it back on again later once you know everything is working).

EDIT PCMCIA "People Can't Memorise Computer Industry Acronyms" is the old designation, new designation is CardBus, same-same but different.

Edited by Crossy

It might well be the password, my computer supplier sees "limited or no connectivity" and immediately looks for password errors. I cannot remember the full details but even though I had used the correct password something else had changed and I had locked myself out of my system. In the end I re-installed the router, renamed the conection and hid it.

I don't know why the passwords should be an issue but the workaround is fine.

Hope you are keeping well,

All the Best

Bill Z

I got ripped off I only have one of those PCMCIA slots. Never had anything that plugs into it. edit PS one time that I had an error like that it was related to the binding of TCP/IP to the adptor, just rerunning the set up of the device cleared it.

Edited by RKASA

thanks guys, I'm gonna try out some of these suggestions after work tonight.

Might be too late to catch you at work, but have you tried to repair the connection first? That's sometimes all it takes. Right click the wireless icon in the taskbar and select repair. It'll disable the connection, then enable it again and try to obtain a new ip address.

It's a PCMCIA Connector!

You may need to create a new connection because the 2 PCMCIA Ports are seperate and you have to register each of them extra. Masy you need to update the Bios of your Laptop!

thank you Reimar and Carmine6 for the suggestions. I checked and it wasn't either of those, but the info is now added to my own "database in my head" for future reference

"Limited or no connectivity" usually means you've not received an IP address from the DHCP server (in your router).

First thing to check is that you've entered the security keys correctly, it may look like it's connected, but it 'aint really :D

Try turning security off on your router (turn it back on again later once you know everything is working).

EDIT PCMCIA "People Can't Memorise Computer Industry Acronyms" is the old designation, new designation is CardBus, same-same but different.

Yeah, I wasn't getting an IP, that's where it would stall and then tell me "limited or no connectivity"

It might well be the password, my computer supplier sees "limited or no connectivity" and immediately looks for password errors. I cannot remember the full details but even though I had used the correct password something else had changed and I had locked myself out of my system. In the end I re-installed the router, renamed the conection and hid it.

I don't know why the passwords should be an issue but the workaround is fine.

Hope you are keeping well,

All the Best

Bill Z

Ultimately, it was my own bad!

The first CardBus slot screwed, i tried using the other one - fully functional - with my wireless card - fully functional.

On my router however was one WEP for the HomeHub network, and another WEP for something called BT Fusion. I have no idea what that is, but I stupidly was using that latter one. Just now, I went down to make sure the bit of paper I'd written the WEP on was correct and that was when I realised, a few days ago I had jotted down the wrong WEP.

So I'm sorry guys, and thank you for your tremendous help as always in the tech room!

:D

PS: now posting from a fully functional Wireless notebook adapter. :D:o