Dtac Edge

zzSleepyJohn

I've been using DTAC's GPRS on my mobile for several years now. Recently, since getting MaxNet ADSL, I only use it when travelling or as a backup for when MaxNet is down, but at 99 Baht for 20 Hours (postpaid deal), although slow, it still serves a useful purpose. Now I'm wondering whether it would be worth buying a new mobile phone and upgrading my DTAC to EDGE.

Has anyone any experience using EDGE in the Chiangrai area?

I'm interested to know whether it works fast enough to support VOIP on Skype or SIP phone. Also what about EDGE tariff? Since it's supposed to be a lot faster, do you have to pay more? I couldn't see any seperate tariff for it on DTAC's website.

. + SJ

I've been using DTAC's GPRS on my mobile for several years now. Recently, since getting MaxNet ADSL, I only use it when travelling or as a backup for when MaxNet is down, but at 99 Baht for 20 Hours (postpaid deal), although slow, it still serves a useful purpose. Now I'm wondering whether it would be worth buying a new mobile phone and upgrading my DTAC to EDGE.

I'm interested to know whether it works fast enough to support VOIP on Skype or SIP phone. Also what about EDGE tariff? Since it's supposed to be a lot faster, do you have to pay more? I couldn't see any seperate tariff for it on DTAC's website.

. + SJ

Since I'm in Chiangmai I can't answer about the EDGE availability in your area but I am using EDGE (DTAC) in Chiangmai and there are no additional charges. Just the same as your GPRS costs are now.

• 2 weeks later...

. + SJ

Balls to EDGE. GO to CAT telecom and buy a CDMA aircard. The speed is usually about 500k / 64k. Similar to broadband. The cards are about 13,000 baht and you only pay about 600 baht a month. This can not be used in Bangkok though. You get great coverage all over Thailand (except Bangkok). Basically CAT are teamed up with Hutch so you can use their network.

If you prefer to use CDMA in Bangkok (bangkok only) you can get a Hutch aircard from Hutch, but it is more expensive per month.

If you are in Chiang Rai or northern Thailand CAT CDMA is really the way to go. It is much more reliable than rural adsl conncection. The speed is really very good!

EDGE is a waste of time!

P.S I have second hand EDGE card for sale if anyone interested - as I am now with CAT :o

. + SJ

Balls to EDGE. GO to CAT telecom and buy a CDMA aircard. The speed is usually about 500k / 64k. Similar to broadband. The cards are about 13,000 baht and you only pay about 600 baht a month. This can not be used in Bangkok though. You get great coverage all over Thailand (except Bangkok). Basically CAT are teamed up with Hutch so you can use their network.

If you prefer to use CDMA in Bangkok (bangkok only) you can get a Hutch aircard from Hutch, but it is more expensive per month.

If you are in Chiang Rai or northern Thailand CAT CDMA is really the way to go. It is much more reliable than rural adsl conncection. The speed is really very good!

EDGE is a waste of time!

P.S I have second hand EDGE card for sale if anyone interested - as I am now with CAT :o

whats the coverage like on the CAT/hutch network?, is it just in chang rai city or does it extend all over the province ??

• 4 weeks later...

. + SJ

EDGE is a waste of time!

This is good news for me. I made the mistake of not choosing the faster "Air Card" and cannot use my iconnecthere.com (SIP) VOIP without a loooooong delay, almost unusable. If I cannot get the CDMA CAT representative to let me upgrade for the difference in the higher cost air card, I wlll have to go into a huddle with myself and check signals.

SeeJo