Live In Jomtien Or Naklua?

Jingthing

How do you answer: Where are you from?  

45 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I never, ever say I live in Pattaya to any of my friends back home. With all the bad press Pattya has received I am too embarrassed.

Where's all this bad press? The tabloid, expose, sensationalist stuff? Why would it embarrass you? I rent the suite above the short-time rooms but that doesn't make me a sexpat.

Only miserable here. By the way I am not anti Thailand, just anti Pattaya. Thailand is a wonderful place

So Westerner, are you a victim or your own or other peoples choices? At least you appear honest.

I say Thailand when talking to the geographically challenged (who invariably think it's Taiwan), Pattaya to those more worldly (and up to them if they get anal about it) and Naklua to the ever friendly baht bus driver (who appreciates it when I say 'keep the change').

I am neither defending Pattaya or bashing it but the OP should really stop worrying about offending other peoples sensitivities. Lying in order to appear politically correct? That's the <deleted> that gets politicians impeached. If you are dishonest with yourself, where does it end?

The 'P' word... a very good poll subject Jingthing. Nice one!

Only got myself to blame :o

Why should someone tell others that he is living in Pattaya if that's not the case?

Living in or near Soi Crockodile Farm, means that your are living in Naklua.

Living South of Thepprasite Road is Jomtien, North of Thepprasit is Pattaya.

Living East of Sukhumvit between North Pattaya Road and Thepprasit Road is Banglamung.

Living between the Sea and Sukhumvit and North Pattaya Road and Thepprasit road means that you're living in Pattaya.

I already gave the reason in my OP.

If you live in a suburb of San Francisco and you were traveling in Japan, you wouldn't say Daly City, you would say San Francisco. This is standard. Everyone in Japan knows San Francisco.

My theory is that lot of people say Jomtien or Naklua to avoid saying Pattaya which many people outside Thailand do know, but they don't know Jomtien and Naklua. So they are ashamed and embarrassed ...

Get my point now?

Got your point, but people only say that they are from Amsterdam while living in Diemen, because they are too lazy to explain where they really live.

You could say: "I live in Dale City, near San Fransisco!!"

It's about the same as some websites, where you can choose a city of residence in Thailand and the only choise you have is Chiang Mai or Bangkok. Living in Bangkok makes you choose for Bangkok of course, but it is just the lazyness of the webmaster to create more choices.....nice and easy.

Get my point.

Idle, thanks for your perspective, but I think you are greatly underestimating the human vanity factor. People often want to be associated with the big, glamorous, and respectable (London, New York, etc.) and not to be associated with the scandalous, depraved, and reviled (as Pattaya represents for lots of people).

Edited by Jingthing

I apparently live in Pattaya, but my address is Nongprue, Banglamung. I'm in South Pattaya, but I need to go to Banglamung to pick up my mail.

What is Pattaya then? An unofficial name? You don't often see it on official addresses.

Edited by tropo