Farang Death

jaiyenyen

Yes, as you are heading towards Nana BTS station from the zebra crossing opposite soi 4 cesspit.

A couple of hundred yards down from the crossing, why the hel_l he was trying to cross there is beyond me, and even though I think that having the traffic going in 2 directions at different times of the day is dangerous, he should still be looking both ways. I mean this is a country where idiots drive their mopeds down the pavement and against the flow of traffic.

When driving smarts were being handed out the Thai's were queuing up for noodles.

I think the most shocking thing for me was the fact that he was barely covered with a bit of old paper, and that there were so many 'official' people there appearing to do bugger all. They would have been better employed finding a more suitable cover for the poor guy, however TIT.

As for all the 'rubberneckers',they are the same the world over, they must have very empty lives if they find something like that exciting.

You're all too harsh on people gawking. What was the big fuss? A dead man. Right on the road in front of them. A farang no less. For many, mortality is quite shocking, and to presented with it is heavy. Perhaps they didn't just like to pass on, and say, "What's the big fuss? Who cares?" Perhaps they have even more respect for life than those who barely batted an eye. Someone died right there where they were. They wanted to know what happened, and how. It disturbed them, probably, and gave them a better appreciation for life to linger at the scene. Everybody deals with things differently.

You're all too harsh on people gawking. What was the big fuss? A dead man. Right on the road in front of them. A farang no less. For many, mortality is quite shocking, and to presented with it is heavy. Perhaps they didn't just like to pass on, and say, "What's the big fuss? Who cares?" Perhaps they have even more respect for life than those who barely batted an eye. Someone died right there where they were. They wanted to know what happened, and how. It disturbed them, probably, and gave them a better appreciation for life to linger at the scene. Everybody deals with things differently.

I agree with this post ,

On another note the only safe place to cross roads in BKK is at traffic lights , Thailand should take out the zebra crossings i have lost count how many times i have seen people near wiped out on them as they are not used the same as in the west IF someone is on a zebra crossing you STOP .

jb

A dangerous area for sure, even at the lights. I am surprised there aren't more tragic incidents in the area considering the amount of traffic and pedistrians. As I read this thread I flashed back about 9 or 10 years. I was on the sidewalk heading for the light at Sukhumvit & Soi 4 when I had the big toe on my left foot broken by a motorcyle. To add insult to injury, I took a reactive swing at the rider and connected. Unfortunately he was probably the only motorcy guy in BKK in those days to wear a helmut so I broke two fingers on my right hand and he didn't even go down, wobbled but stayed upright. "and fled the scene."

we die. it is a fact.

Tool.

Have a bit of comapssion, no one deserves to die like that.

I agree

I think kiakaha's point is that nobody here knows the guy who died, and adding shocked replies offering condolences is pretty trite.

He still came across as a tool though. I doubt he would take the same stance if it was someone he knew.

The thing I thought was sad is that he was laying there for 4 hours, and covered by paper, it wasn't a crime scene, why didn't they get him taken away faster. Also, why was some <deleted> reporter taking pictures of everything including pulling down the guys pants and photographing the bruising whislt exposing his ass to the world. Surely that kind of post mortem photography is not carried out on the street. The reporter was a westerner too.

Piss poor display.

Yeah, i saw that his panties were pulled down, i just noticed it seemed a little "odd", so it was actually a reporter who did it? Man, that is so wrong.

That place is dangerous, up until now though i haven´t been that bothered about crossing only at the "safe" places, thought i knew it wasnt all that safe, BUT, now i have got some more respect and will for sure be more careful.

Anyway, tragic indeed.

Extreemly dangerous crossing there since the lanes on one side go BOTH directions.

People crossing the road don't expect that, only look one way.

I've seen allot of close calls.

Why don't they creat a barrior to prevent accidents?

How many get hurt or killed in that area I wonder?

Nobody cares enough to spend the money-- and money is the issue. "Farang no die if not here in Thailand"

Extreemly dangerous crossing there since the lanes on one side go BOTH directions.

People crossing the road don't expect that, only look one way.

I've seen allot of close calls.

Why don't they creat a barrior to prevent accidents?

How many get hurt or killed in that area I wonder?

Nobody cares enough to spend the money-- and money is the issue. "Farang no die if not here in Thailand"

Agreed it is pretty dangerous here, but we have to take some responsibility and look both ways before crossing (like our parents' taught us). I have nearly been twatted a few times by the idiots that ride their mopeds on the pavement, now that really winds me up, if I have my iPod on I always make them wait.

Many people are reckless when crossing the street. Where I live in San Francisco there is a bus stop about 20 meters away from a crosswalk, yet no one wants to walk to the cross walk but choses instead to peak out behind the bus as cars are trying to drive around it and look for oncoming traffic and cross. I haven't seen anyone killed there yet but I bet it's just a matter of time. Unless you are in the middle of the country always cross at the crosswalk and when possible cross with the crowd. You just can't assume a car can see you or that you've judged how fast it's approaching you. There's no amount of time that you may save by crossing at a random place that is worth your life. The trains I ride to work have a sign they put on board which says, "Don't shortcut life, cross at the appropriate areas."

Edited by wasabi

Myself and my wife got knocked down on that crossing at the end of Soi 4 about a year ago.

Our own stupid fault, coming out of Bullys and crossing the road. On the second side (Soi 3 side) Im my drunken stuper i strode out, only to have a Honda Accord wipe me out. Luckily i stepped out just a llittle late and he ran over my foot and i wiped his wing mirror out with my arm. As he was doing about 60 at the time though it kinda hurt!

He was a very nice Indian guy though and we are still in touch, believe it or not. He stopped, and ran us down to Bumrungrad. Turned out he was on his way to the airport to head off somewhere and asked if we wanted to involve the police. I said no as it was obviously my fault and we exchanged numbers. He called me about a week later to check on my progress!

It is sad to hear about aht fellow though. The traffic lanes there are somewhat confusing to anyone. I had been here 6 years when my accident happened! Not confusing anymore though.

we die. it is a fact.

how thoughtless to make such a comment - we all dont die in such a violent manner just because of a moments lapse of judgement. His family would be devistated - even more - to read such a comment.

A little pray for the poor souls family will help in a small way.