On Nut Bars?

BFD

Hello all,

I recently moved into a place near the On Nut BTS (thanks very much to the fine folks on this forum!), and I'd like to know if there are any local watering holes I can pop into on my way home from work at about 4:30ish.

I know, I know, Thong Lo is just a hop on the train away, but I really would rather something close, like soi 77-ish (I live on 75). Does anyone have any clues? I'm way too tired every day to walk down the sois, just praying that some lovely bar will catch my attention. However, if I KNEW there was somewhere to drink, I'd have a hop to my step!

Any thoughts?

BFD!

Hi,

Plenty of small Thai places where you can wash down some local beers. You can also take a motorbike taxi and go two minutes on Suk, Soi 50 ( same side as Tesco). On the left hand side you will find the Brit pub Toby Jugs (used to be in Silom before). Nice and cosy place.

Hello all,

I recently moved into a place near the On Nut BTS (thanks very much to the fine folks on this forum!), and I'd like to know if there are any local watering holes I can pop into on my way home from work at about 4:30ish.

I know, I know, Thong Lo is just a hop on the train away, but I really would rather something close, like soi 77-ish (I live on 75). Does anyone have any clues? I'm way too tired every day to walk down the sois, just praying that some lovely bar will catch my attention. However, if I KNEW there was somewhere to drink, I'd have a hop to my step!

Any thoughts?

BFD!

Suk, Soi 50 ( same side as Tesco). On the left hand side you will find the Brit pub Toby Jugs (used to be in Silom before). Nice and cosy place. :o

Nice One...Used to hang out the old one quite often so must have a look on next jolli...in about 3 weeks... :D

Hmmm, doesn't seem to be too much in the area, hey?

That's a shame. I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and commute to the drinking places...

Unless someone has any more ideas?!

BFD!

Corner 24, not suprisinlgy on the corner of soi 24, had a few good evenings watching football and listening to a live band in there. Not the greatest place in BKK, but more than passable for a few beers and some nioce enough people in there.

Hi,

You will not find to many modern bars and pubs in this area. A lot of small karaoke places and a wide range of mom and pop eateries where you can enjoy beer.

If my memory serves me correct, their is a place on Suk Soi 71 that looks like a Farang pub and if I remember right they serve pizza and have pool tables. Further down on Ekkmai you will find loads of trendy bars.

Hmmm, doesn't seem to be too much in the area, hey?

That's a shame. I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and commute to the drinking places...

Unless someone has any more ideas?!

BFD!

Used to be a wee bar/pub cried the Rabby Burns bar/Houf.....that was ( from Memory) in Udom Suk....but been some time since I gave up my bicycle.....

anyway ......anybody know ...and have asked before ...does any body know of any proper bars/hangouts in Samut Prakan ...the town itself...near the market..police station..post office ..hospital...Museum...centre of fine Arts....the Soho Area........ken........ :o

Used to be a wee bar/pub cried the Rabby Burns bar/Houf.....that was ( from Memory) in Udom Suk....but been some time since I gave up my bicycle.....

anyway ......anybody know ...and have asked before ...does any body know of any proper bars/hangouts in Samut Prakan ...the town itself...near the market..police station..post office ..hospital...Museum...centre of fine Arts....the Soho Area........ken........ :o

rinrada, jeez how long are you going back ? if thats the same place that used to be on soi 101 or 103 on the right hand side opposite the petrol station its long gone. used to go there to play darts years ago, excellent food as well, the other bonus was your normal tourist types didnt know of it, one of bkks best kept secrets.

as for bar/howf, i think a better description would have been bothy.biggrin.gif aye we ken.

Seem to remember that it shut and moved about 3 years ago but Mai K jai where it went.....nice to know and worth a visit.

Origionally in Silom ...about 1984.....my first visit ..it was a double fronted gin joint but the Mine Host told be he downsized about 15 years ago. :D ...and was shutting up shop ....so..................... :o

Thanks for the replies so far, friends.

I managed to walk up to Toby Jubs after work on Friday. Got there at about 4:30 and was happy to see that the place was open. Nice decor and a good cozy feel to it. I propped myself up at the bar, and was prepared for a good two or three pints while I finished off some work. The only problem was that the place was empty.

Let me reiterate: I was the only one there.

No one else, including STAFF!

I sat in the bar for a full fifteen minutes, occasionally calling out questions in English and Thai. I was desperate for a pint, and it was just so tempting with the tap sitting right there, not two meters away. I was a gentleman, and refrained from pouring myself one, but I'm not sure how much longer that would have lasted!

I walked around the building a few times, and rang a little bell they had (I was hoping that would mean I'd have to buy a round for the whole bar, which would have been the cheapest time I'd ever do that).

So, my review is that the place is nice, but they could do with a few more people there :o

I need to hear about some more.

BFD!

Suk. 71, not too far from Sukhumwit, is some place called "New York" something or other. Owned by a farang I think, with a few pool tables.

It's a real average place, not much atmosphere in there and considering the location and such like the beer prices aren't particularly cheap. I'd rather head on somewhere else a little bit further up the road.

It's quite On Nut, but, if you go up On Nut until you get to Srinakorin and turn right then go down Srinakorin until just passed The Seri Center. On the opposite side of the road is Memories Pub. I really like this pub. Pool table outside and packed every night that I've been there with a Thai young crowd. Live music, food (not great) and plenty of cold beer. It's quite a distance from where you are (OP) but, if you're bored it's well worth a visit.

It's quite On Nut, but, if you go up On Nut until you get to Srinakorin and turn right then go down Srinakorin until just passed The Seri Center. On the opposite side of the road is Memories Pub. I really like this pub. Pool table outside and packed every night that I've been there with a Thai young crowd. Live music, food (not great) and plenty of cold beer. It's quite a distance from where you are (OP) but, if you're bored it's well worth a visit.

Agreed, I have been there a couiple of times and it is quite a nice place. There are afew good places in that area around Seri and Seacon. Another nice bar at the back of Seacon called something like Blueberry Bush, and there is another place down near memories called Time if my memory serves me well. They are good and friendly places to go, although you will not see many other Farangs around.

Nice, those both sound like good places that I can check out on the weekends.

I'm thinking the 'walking-distance-local' is not going to happen. I suppose I'll just hop on the BTS and head to the Londoner, or something.

Again, thanks to everyone who contributed.

BFD!

I'm an On Nut resident that has also searched (in vain) for bars around On Nut. I tried The Toby Jug, that has, bizzarly,been called 'cozy' on this thread.

Whilst I found the barman friendly and talkative, it was all down hill from there. The bar was ice cold and brightly lit as I entered and a confusing plastic menu was thrust into my hand. The beer choice was Tiger or Tiger, so I chose Tiger. To be fair the owner advised me to choose a pitcher over a pint.

My custom is to choose the cheapest, simplest item on the menu in a new place. If they get it right then a full meal should be good. Sadly the reality at The Toby Jug was miles away. I ordered a Chip Buttie (English chips) and enquired about the bread. I was told it came with 'farmhouse' style bread and thick cut chips. My food arrived with 2 slices of white bread, from those insipid 7-11 loaves and a chilled butter pack, at the same time as a few square cut fries. I asked for some HP sauce and was told it was 20 baht extra. I said "don't worry about it!" and did without. I also had to do without quality ketchup and vinagar with flavour. I will never eat there again.

It seemed to me that the bar was popular with Thais. I say this because there was a group of young Thai men eating at a table opposite. Naturally their mobile phones were ringing every few seconds.

It's good to try new places, but I can't imagine a reason why I would try that bar again.