Considering My Next Move

greatwhitehd

Hello. I have never posted here before, though I have been signed on for awhile, and have enjoyed reading and learning about the many aspects of living and working here in Thailand.

I teach at a university near Bangkok, and have lived and worked here since the end of June. I signed a one year contract. I have a masters and two BA's, one in education and the second in my feild. I have 7 years teaching experience at the university level, and 10 years teaching experience total. I've built a professional source of letters of reference and accomplishments, and have been a solid employee at all the places I've worked at. I enjoy teaching very much.

My question is this: when my contract is complete (unless I'm offered a great deal next year at my present place, which I don't really forsee) I plan to move on. When I say move on, I'm looking to move out of the Asian ring, and to another completely different area. Spain, Australia, Saudi Arabia, and New Zealand are places I have thought about, though I'm not completely sure. Does anyone on the forum have any recommendations/experiences/background/knowledge of in working in these or other areas?

I know that they also pay better-most places outside of Thailand do. I taught for a year in Shanghai, and the pay was excellent, and my experiences with Chinese culture good, I just don't have any desire to return there. Korea is also another place where I know the money is good, but I have heard stories that the working conditions are not that great. I'd also like to stay at the university level.

Thanks to all the members of this forum for your responses and information.

Thanks for the advice, sorry for the mistake. Hopefully I'll get this figured out.

As you want to continue in the education industry, you may want to use the report button at the bottom of the replies to ask a moderator to transfer this to the teaching sub-forum. You will get far better quality responce there from people in that industry.

I have been contemplating moving also because of the problems and insecurity this government is causing us farangs.

From all the research I have done and the many people I have met around the pratunam area, Accra Ghana looks like a good choice.

The people are warm and generous, the infrastructure is good. cost of living for food and transportation is cheaper than BKK.

If anyone has more information on Africa, and or has lived there, please give us your take on it.

Thanks

PM me

I taught in Saudi for eight years and my mother has taught there and in Qatar, so we have spent a lot of time in the middle east.

I have assembled a CD full of public schools, pivate schools, universities, companies employing teachers for training, recruiters, etc......INCLUDING EMAIL ADDRESSES!

If you would like me to send a copy of it to you, PM me.

I have been contemplating moving also because of the problems and insecurity this government is causing us farangs.

From all the research I have done and the many people I have met around the pratunam area, Accra Ghana looks like a good choice.

The people are warm and generous, the infrastructure is good. cost of living for food and transportation is cheaper than BKK.

If anyone has more information on Africa, and or has lived there, please give us your take on it.

Thanks

You think that the government in Thailand is causing you to be insecure, and you want to move to AFRICA????? lol Because most African governments are so far ahead of Thailand in this area? Hakuna Matata my friend.

Thanks

You think that the government in Thailand is causing you to be insecure, and you want to move to AFRICA????? lol Because most African governments are so far ahead of Thailand in this area? Hakuna Matata my friend.

Maybe so, but I recently received an email from an ESL recruiter listing a job in Cameroon that pays US$ 3,500 per month with free accommodation and other benefits. This is teaching oil company employees basic English. All that was required was at least a bachelor's degree and a tefl certificate. I haven't seen many tefl jobs in Thailand offering anything close to that.