Printing From Linux

RKASA

Printing from LINUX seems to be complicated by my having an LEXMARK all in one x1270.  I can install cups and with some effort it might work, but have been told by lexmark not everything will function because its onl

the drivers that are near to it, its not well supported would seem.  Or if I have xp on the network with print sharing will it do all the driving of the printer will I be able to see the GUI of the printer and control it?.  I can't really test anything until I get my other PC replaced, but will it share printers with linux or do I need a server with printer installed over there?  I could install the printer under wine, but then when its share time again Hows the other OS/PC going to see it accross the network without running tons of software all the time.  Is there something simple that lets both run the Priinter/Scan/Copy/Fax?  It connects USB only I don't use the FAX, Copy still needs the driver, Printer is used sometimes, Scan 

s the most importent part of it.

I know wine is a great program, but I would like to keep it off the install if I can.  I have XP to run my win stuff with.  and cups is also great but it doesn't really support my printer, so unistall if I am not running it.  The last step I guess would be to run the printer with XP and send the files for print and from scan jobs to and from the linux over network to a folder for processing on XP.  I know I may have answered my own varbose ?, but whats the simple set-up look like for something like this?

edit : should note that its PClinuxOS 2007.

Edited by RKASA

If the printer is not supported by Linux then that leaves you two options: 1) Host it on the Windows system, or 2) chuck it. Option 1 is easy, and if your systems are on the network then it is simple to get your Linux system to "find" a shared printer on a Windows system.

If you a bit more technical then the averige computer user and not scared about an advanture. You can try to develop your own driver, with special designed software from Lexmark it sould not be that difficult.

http://www.lexmark.com/lexmark/sequentiale...05_0_en,00.html

Anyway, Lexmark and Linux is for me a combination I never let myself into, but I will follow your progress.

Richard

I don't know about how PC tech I am but adventure is what this linux thing is with me anyway. I had the lexmark before I got into linux so its replace will be more researched, in the mean time best is to host it from XP as linux can find and share it better. And then purhaps built a driver with lexmark tools for future use in lenux or I guess I could spring for a second printer that works with linux, some how that feels like cheeting. :o Thanks

Lexmark and Linux (or Apple Mac's) have a strange relation, way back it was Lexmark who introduced as first printer manufacturer its own self developed Linux driver.

Then came the first do-it-your-self printer driver development kit (version 1) and after that there was no sounds of new Lexmark printer drivers for Linux (or any CUPS drivers in general).

If you want to take your printing adventure one step deeper in the rabbit hole your can look at Apple OSX x86 drivers, OSX and Linux both use CUPS as printing system. So maybe you can use a Mac CUPS driver for your Linux CUPS.

http://www.lexmark.com/lexmark/sequentiale...4834_en,00.html

If you go for the second option, buying a new printer. Because I belief for sharing the Lexmark on a Windows computer you still need a Lexmark printer driver (at least I need, but I not into Lexmark).

One manufacturer, of which most never think of is Brother. I always recommend Brother for the simple reason, they not expensive, they work with all operating systems and they use separate ink cartridges (and they seem not to care about refiled or copy ink cartridges *).

For me personal, we need printers which work with any operating system, in our house we have multiple computers running multiple operating systems, of which the Linux computers are also different distributions, then we have Apple Mac's and good old WinXP with his newer cousin Windows Vista they all connected with a Ethernet network and all need to print.

After long search of printers we came up with HP or Brother, Canon failed as they still need a lot of tweaking to simple do some printing on Linux, we dropped HP mainly because of the higher cost of consumables (and the irritating sale guy had something to do with it). Then we had only Brother, Brother Thailand redirected us to a sales office in Fortune IT center on Ratchada Rd. the sales person was skilled and had clearly some know-how about printing. And after probably the smoothest conversation with a sales guy in Thailand we where loading several Brother printers in the car.

For most of our printers we selected printers which came with a Ethernet interface, most of this printers also supported USB and good old parallel pinter interface.

http://solutions.brother.com/linux/en_us/index.html

* We once had to bring one of our printers to a Brother service center, in the printer we had refiled ink cartridges, the lady who take our printer notified us that she had found refiled ink cartridges. We asked if that was a problem, she said only if that is the source of the problem. Printer was repaired, ink cartridges still in the printer and all warranty. We had some bad experiences with other printer brands and refiled or imitation ink cartridges.

Edited by Richard-BKK

I spent a good deal of time looking at options last night. In the linux forums was a strong opinoon that we should not reward manufactures that don't show alot of support for linux and use companies that do. I guess Hp was way up there as is brother. Most felt lexmark should be doing more then build your own, and most the driver reported that did work had list of minor problems yet resolved. Most sugg. I get an Hp all in one thats supported. Take a picture of me and the printer and send it to lexmark and tell them why I got a new printer, and to be nice about it just let them know I won't need their ink. :o

edit as a note about brother, years ago I had an old 132 col 24pin dot matrix, ribbon type brother printer I used for speadsheets. It was the best printer I have ever had. I worked that thing to no end.

Edited by RKASA

If the printer is not supported by Linux then that leaves you two options: 1) Host it on the Windows system, or 2) chuck it.

There exists (at least) one third option: 3) Check if there is a linux driver for another printer that works with yours.

I have a Lexmark E120N (a laser printer). No driver for linux. However, the driver (or rather the PDD-file) for 'HP LaserJet Series PCL 6' makes my Lexmark work flawlessly when printing from Linux.

How, did I figure out to use that driver? --- I Google'd my printer model together with the words linux and driver ... Has this query been tried out?

If the printer is not supported by Linux then that leaves you two options: 1) Host it on the Windows system, or 2) chuck it.

There exists (at least) one third option: 3) Check if there is a linux driver for another printer that works with yours.

I have a Lexmark E120N (a laser printer). No driver for linux. However, the driver (or rather the PDD-file) for 'HP LaserJet Series PCL 6' makes my Lexmark work flawlessly when printing from Linux.

How, did I figure out to use that driver? --- I Google'd my printer model together with the words linux and driver ... Has this query been tried out?

I found a number of treads in forums where a kit was made to work, but eveyone of them with reguard to the (all in one printer) had a list of things that don't work or don't work like they should, so its still not a real driver for my printer which Lexmark and its staff could most like to produce in a few hours of there time for the benifet of any Linux user of their product. They don't seems concerned about that part of the market so I am not going to concern myself with them. I ll keep the lexmark for my XP as long as they last, but not going replace ether of them. I ll shop for printers that work in both and keep learning more about Linux so that option will be there for me.

The x1270 is supposed to work well by using the Lexmark proprietary z600 driver. Have a look here:

http://openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?r...m=Lexmark-x1270

Lexmark wrote several drivers for Linux but the problem is that most of time no one can make them working and has to use another one. For my old Lexmark E220 I had to use the Optra-E+.

It sounds good, but that posting is most like to be from lexmark themself and if you follow the links to the forums just the first three treads alone talk about the fact it won't print from the black cart. and thats ref to x1270, so its not working as they hoped and another forum shows the copy button to be useless. Thats using or tring to use the z600. Its no big deal the printer was cheap 2000Baht closeout and will not outlast my XP at anyrate. I'll just get a good supported printer then it will work in both Linux and my XP. In the mean time I can ad hoc share from XP by file transfer in the worst case. Thanks