Apple Does Not Support Their Computers In Thailand

ozzieman05

Just purchased a new Macbook and it is great (need I say this)

But comes with System 10.4.10

Now as I do a lot of Video work I need Quicktime Pro

I am a registered user of Quicktime Pro 7.1 but this version will not work on Quicktime 7.2 which is used under versin OS X 10.4.10

No problem I just get a copy of Quicktime Pro

Easy to do, if I was back in Australia but this s Thailand

Off to Panthrip Plaza and visited the 3 genuine Apple Shops

Met with strange faces when I asked for this software, all offered to sell me Quicktime Pro 7.1

Many pirate copies of the new Ilife and Iworks 8 on sale at the many many shops, but the genuine Apple resellers can not sell me

Okay off to he web to burchase a serial Number

But I am in Thailand and their is no such country according to the Apple web site

okay 2 days now wasted

Has anyone in Thailand managed to get a copy of Quicktime Pro for System OS X 10.4.10?

Pray tell me where you got is, rng Apple distributors in Bkk

Same answer

What you want? we no have!

Maybe Apple feels the pirate industry can do their job better than themselves here

I haven't done it so forgive me if this is a daft response but have you tried to download it for free here

EDIT/: Oh it was daft, I see you want the PRO version, in that case maybe have it sent from Singapore.

Edit 2/: You can actually do it from here as you have a registration code. Nothing needs to be posted to you.

Edited by Mahout Angrit

I think it has less to do with Apple than the local importer not thinking there is a market for it, since you can buy it for 100B at the adjacent stall. You would likely need to "special order" the box, and it would be imported from Singapore.

The easy route is just to open the "free" quick time, go to register, buy upgrade. Sure, it takes you to the US store (for me anyway), but you should still be able to buy. No?

In my book, it's fair game to use the 100B version rather than the 1200B version given the situation...

I had the same problem when I bought my Macbook Pro, and needed to upgrade my Logic Pro program to intel. The Apple shop in Paragon who I bought the computer from didn't know anything about this. In fact they were pretty clueless about most things Apple, which disturbed me. I eventually found a shop on Suk 55 (sub soi 13 I think) who gave me a form to send to Singapore. This shop seem the most clued up. Forget Paragon.

I ended going back to the UK for a short time, so eventually got the software there.

As for Quicktime Pro...

I got mine through the website with a UK credit card. They just send a code via email to type in to the quicktime preference pane.

The only problem with Apple is that real customer service in places like Thailand is non existent. It has to be Singapore or Hong Kong for any problems.

I had the same experience with my iTunes. Once I moved here my iTune account was inaccessible because my IP shows Thailand. Result I cannot now listen to the music I bought legally in Europe. :o

Why?

You don't have to be connected to the internet to listen to music on iTunes?

Unless the case is that you have copied it to another computer than the one you used in Europe, and have to "reactivate" the licenses for the songs to continue to listen to them on the new computer.

On the other hand, I just did that from Sri Lanka. Not excactly the center of the earth this miserable excuse for a country, so why the problem in Thailand?

Yup - new iMac bought in Thailand. When I tried to to re-register (using an AOL account) it refused my password.

The songs are still there but unplayable because of the AAC.

A bit confused. Are you trying to re-register the songs by using a different itunes account than the one you used when you purchased the songs?

If that is the case, try logging on to iTunes using the same username/password combo that you used in Europe. That should take you staright to the Itunes store you used in Europe.

I had no problem with this both in Sri Lanka and even in the Sudan. This was on a WinXP system though...

On the QT Pro point, I thought that the pass code from 7.1 unlocked 7.x, should that not work?

Regards

Apple did a sneeky

even though I paid for pro just 3 months ago when the released the new system software they made my origional psword invalid and I have to purchase a new one

I am just a little fish in a big ocean

seems Apple is becoming more like Microsoft every day

Gave me a new system for free but have to pay for new passwords to make everything work with it

QT Pro seems to be ever-breaking. I'd call/email customer support in the U.S. to see if your old QT Pro serial doesn't still work, or if you can get a new one from them. It seems ridiculous that they would want to nickel and dime their pro customers. I mean, <deleted>. If they don't I would not have a second thought of obtaining this serial by other means.

On the QT Pro point, I thought that the pass code from 7.1 unlocked 7.x, should that not work?

Regards

Apple did a sneeky

even though I paid for pro just 3 months ago when the released the new system software they made my origional psword invalid and I have to purchase a new one

I am just a little fish in a big ocean

seems Apple is becoming more like Microsoft every day

Gave me a new system for free but have to pay for new passwords to make everything work with it

I don't believe this. Did you call Apple customer care to verify this? Because it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. How did the "make your original password invalid"? Do you mean the serial number has become invalid? I am sure customer service can help you...

Apple was a bit sneaky with the upgrade from 7.1 to 7.2, and charging for it wasn't the best approach. It isn't expensive software, but it sucks to have things you buy be incompatible because a minor point upgrade to the operating system.

From what I understand, the improved functionality (h.264?) warrants an upgrade fee, but the point compatibility is a nuisance.

But there's hope... Apple is now going to give a $100 rebate to early iPhone purchasers, after the recent price drop.

Okay be sure I ask, first I'm a happy 10.4.9 user, I have QT Pro 7.1 installed. The upgrade manager tells me now for a few weeks that I can upgrade to 10.4.10, I also see a QT upgrade.

So if I upgrade I cannot use QT Pro anymore?

This is on Apple's site at http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/qui...me72formac.html

Important Notice to QuickTime Pro Users

QuickTime 7 will disable the QuickTime Pro functionality in prior versions of QuickTime, such as QuickTime 5 or QuickTime 6. If you proceed with this installation, you must purchase a new QuickTime 7 Pro key to regain QuickTime Pro functionality. After installation, visit www.apple.com/quicktime to purchase a QuickTime 7 Pro key.

It's kinda dumb Apple is making QT Pro 5 and 6 keys invalid with this update. But they do not mention anything about existing QT 7 Pro keys so those should be OK. If not raise a big stink with Apple support.

Okay be sure I ask, first I'm a happy 10.4.9 user, I have QT Pro 7.1 installed. The upgrade manager tells me now for a few weeks that I can upgrade to 10.4.10, I also see a QT upgrade.

This is on Apple's site at http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/qui...me72formac.html

Important Notice to QuickTime Pro Users

QuickTime 7 will disable the QuickTime Pro functionality in prior versions of QuickTime, such as QuickTime 5 or QuickTime 6. If you proceed with this installation, you must purchase a new QuickTime 7 Pro key to regain QuickTime Pro functionality. After installation, visit www.apple.com/quicktime to purchase a QuickTime 7 Pro key.

It's kinda dumb Apple is making QT Pro 5 and 6 keys invalid with this update. But they do not mention anything about existing QT 7 Pro keys so those should be OK. If not raise a big stink with Apple support.

I HAVE NO PROBLEMS PAYING FOR A FULL UPGRADE

When Apple went from ver 4 to 5 it was a full re-write so okay if you want the new version you buy it but ver 4.0 would still work so you had a choice

When Apple went from ver 5 to 6 it was a full re-write so okay if you want the new version you buy it but ver 5.0 would still work so you had a choice

When Apple went from ver 6 to 7 it was a full re-write so okay if you want the new version you buy it but ver 6.0 would still work so you had a choice

My objections are I purchased Quicktime pro 6 weeks ago ver 7.1

when a user upgrades to Ver 10.4.10 he needs 7.2

You have no choice

all iWorks software will not work on 7.1

This is okay but why must I pay for another password for a program that has very simple changes to the origional and I have already paid for it once, I also have no choice to use 7.1. if I do my other software no longer works

I have always been a believer in paying for origional software as the writer has a right to compensation for his work

But Apples latest move is just down right theft from the end user

and you can kick your feet as much as you can they could not care less

Spoke today to the service tech at Apple today and he said to find someone who has it and do a part payment with him or wait till it arrives on the pirate shelves

Vote against software development theft

Buy a pirate copy

(please note the above opinions may not be of my feelings only a comment passed on by some one who shuld know

I've done the quicktime upgrade, and my quicktime pro is still running OK.

You have no choice

This is okay but why must I pay for another password for a program that has very simple changes to the origional and I have already paid for it once, I also have no choice to use 7.1. if I do my other software no longer works

Spoke today to the service tech at Apple today and he said to find someone who has it and do a part payment with him or wait till it arrives on the pirate shelves

Buy a pirate copy

(please note the above opinions may not be of my feelings only a comment passed on by some one who shuld know

I am still not convinced that this is what happened. Because nowhere on the Apple website does it say anything about having to buy a new key for switching to 7.2 from 7.1. And Apple doesn't do a "sneaky" because if you have noticed, they get sued over anything and everything so they kind of have no choice but to be extra clean. Greedy at times, but clean. So if they don't _say_ on their website that 7.2 requires a new key, then you don't need it.

That Apple tech that you spoke to was probably some guy in BKK. Apple service in the USA will not under any circumstances recommend that you get a pirated copy! Jeez.

Just call Apple support USA @ +1-800-275-2273 and they will help you with your issue. I believe your key doesn't work for some reason, but I am pretty much 100% sure it's not because of the switch from 7.1 to 7.2. Get professional help. It's there for you to use, so use it - much easier that complaining and whining on the forums!

They don't support a broken ipod either. I will never buy an Apple product again.

A friend of mine had his iPod replaced three times with no questions asked at the Apple Center in Chiang Mai. Then he figured out it always broke when he turned on his car... while the iPod was connected to an el-cleapo 3rd party iPod cigarette lighter charger... he stopped using that and the iPod didn't break again.

You have no choice

Buy a pirate copy

I am still not convinced that this is what happened. Because nowhere on the Apple website does it say anything about having to buy a new key for switching to 7.2 from 7.1. And Apple doesn't do a "sneaky" because if you have noticed, they get sued over anything and everything so they kind of have no choice but to be extra clean. Greedy at times, but clean. So if they don't _say_ on their website that 7.2 requires a new key, then you don't need it.

That Apple tech that you spoke to was probably some guy in BKK. Apple service in the USA will not under any circumstances recommend that you get a pirated copy! Jeez.

Just call Apple support USA @ +1-800-275-2273 and they will help you with your issue. I believe your key doesn't work for some reason, but I am pretty much 100% sure it's not because of the switch from 7.1 to 7.2. Get professional help. It's there for you to use, so use it - much easier that complaining and whining on the forums!

All is well that ends well

I got put in touch with an Australian guy in Pattaya who is an ex Apple Service Manager and lives right here in Pattya

He was at the computer for 15 mins and every things now is now working as it should do

Fixed Quicktime for me and it is now working as Quicktime Pro

When I told him about my experiences he just smiled and told me of many experiences owners of Apple products have here in Thailand, his answer was simple "Just call me"

I bought a wi fi amplifier off him whch amplifies the incoming signal by 5 db before it reaches the Macbook

Can pick up WiFi signals from what must be miles around my hotel

The internet now screams

Anyone having troubles can contact him on [email protected]

All is well that ends well

I got put in touch with an Australian guy in Pattaya who is an ex Apple Service Manager and lives right here in Pattya

He was at the computer for 15 mins and every things now is now working as it should do

Fixed Quicktime for me and it is now working as Quicktime Pro

When I told him about my experiences he just smiled and told me of many experiences owners of Apple products have here in Thailand, his answer was simple "Just call me"

I bought a wi fi amplifier off him whch amplifies the incoming signal by 5 db before it reaches the Macbook

Can pick up WiFi signals from what must be miles around my hotel

The internet now screams

Anyone having troubles can contact him on [email protected]

I feel embarrassed to be a die hard apple user. First of all most of the posters in this thread are idiots. Most of the software and issues your whining about are upgradeable for free online. Next is in terms of service and support if you have Apple Care then your covered but you have to pay for shipping yourself unless you have a decent retailer who will ship if for you. Apple Chiang Mai for example will cover shipping to Singapore which is a service facility for you.

My advice is to better research and most the complaints are non issues.

I feel embarrassed to be a die hard apple user. First of all most of the posters in this thread are idiots.

Well, now that our leader has arrived we can all rest easy :o

Get over yourself :D

Edited by cdnvic