Buying A Camcorder

camerata

What features and format should I be looking for in a camcoder. Basically, I would only use it 2 or 3 times a year on vacation. It needs to be light and I don't want to spend more than about 20k baht. Has DVD overtaken Mini-DV as the format of choice now?

What features and format should I be looking for in a camcoder. Basically, I would only use it 2 or 3 times a year on vacation. It needs to be light and I don't want to spend more than about 20k baht. Has DVD overtaken Mini-DV as the format of choice now?

No. MiniDv is still the format of choice regardless of how long it's been around.

If you're likely to be just a casual user, ie you won't be too bothered about top quality PC post production editing, then i suppose the DVD or HDD camcorders would suit you better. DVD would probably be the cheaper of the two. Then again, some lower spec MiniDV's would also be within your budget.

But if you want the best MiniDv camera currently available on the market, and are prepared to pay it's hefty tag, then this is the beast that you most definately need...

canon_hv20.jpg

The Canon HV20

Edited by Goshawk

Or this if size matters like OP says.

Canon HV10

post-13351-1189490334_thumb.jpg

Last I checked both HV10 and HV20 are way too expensive in Thailand. I know you travel to Japan often so I suggest you'd buy one there as you can get one for as little as half the price in Thailand, but still more than 20,000 Baht. But I think it's well worth the extra as they are both high definition camera with resolution matching full-HD LCD TV (1,920 X 1,080), though HV10 comes with a sensor smaller at 1,440 X 1,080 (you still can view at full-HD resolution though).

Interesting topic this as I am currently on the market for a camcorder . .. . first baby on the way and all that. I was considering a DVD based one purely for the fact that it's already on the usable format for watching on the TV. I know you can plug in the camcorder but you don't have to be concerned about battery or needing the power brick etc just for play back.

What are folks recommendations on a DVD based one?

Interesting to see the MiniDV supports HD resolution though . . . we have HDTV but I guess the only way to watch it in HD is by connecting the camcorder to the TV (as I don't have a HD DVD!)?

• 1 month later...
Interesting topic this as I am currently on the market for a camcorder . .. . first baby on the way and all that. I was considering a DVD based one purely for the fact that it's already on the usable format for watching on the TV. I know you can plug in the camcorder but you don't have to be concerned about battery or needing the power brick etc just for play back.

What are folks recommendations on a DVD based one?

Interesting to see the MiniDV supports HD resolution though . . . we have HDTV but I guess the only way to watch it in HD is by connecting the camcorder to the TV (as I don't have a HD DVD!)?

The trouble with DVD is that the data has already been compressed,

so when you start to edit, and believe me you will need to edit,

you have already lost part of the data.

That is why we all suggest the DV tape approach.