How Will Thaksin Shinawatra Be Remembered ?

mark100

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Like Bill Clinton, he'll be remembered for the relatively good times his country enjoyed during his administration and for the vast right wing conspiracy who opposed him.

LOL - good analogy - are people jealous of their shagging, charisma or money?

The right wing always f%^& it up anyway so i bet its not the last you hear of either of them but i can not see Bill being back in the White house as "first Man"

Like Bill Clinton, he'll be remembered for the relatively good times his country enjoyed during his administration and for the vast right wing conspiracy who opposed him.

But Thaksin is right wing- his nominee Mr Samak is the most right wing person in Thailand, and last year whilst Thaksin was still in power Mr Samak and Mr Dusit were allowed to continue their right wing attacks on television on any opponents.

What do you think TRT stands for? Thais love Thai.

Who formulated all the visa restrictions that farangs now fret over? Thaksin.

But Thaksin is right wing- his nominee Mr Samak is the most right wing person in Thailand, and last year whilst Thaksin was still in power Mr Samak and Mr Dusit were allowed to continue their right wing attacks on television on any opponents.

Almost everybody in Thailand is right wing, even most left wingers have such a strong nationalist element in their views that they are in international terms a rather lousy excuse for what i would consider left wing. True left wingers are a rare species here.

Thaksin was/is foremost a pragmatic rightwinger, but at least not particularly social conservative unlike the bunch that is running the place now with their "left wing" social conservative sycophants.

Thaksin Shinawatra was a man of great courage and vision, who abused his power for self gain and wealth. :o

For once I cannot agree with you, Vic. I think Thaksin was a great businessman, but he had absolutely not basic human respect for democracy and the humanistic idea of civil rights. He would never accept a different opinion;

Thaksin had a very grave democracy deficiency and the rule of law was a notion he never understood.

He basically tried to run the country like you run your own company: There is only one boss here and his name is on the building! And that's what might have triggered the coup: there is a name on this building, but it's not Thaksin

Good luck to Thaksin and i'm quite certain that if any of you ever got to run a country, you'd also feather your own nest.

If I had the honor and responsibility of running my own country I would focus on the country, not myself. Basic stuff really.

I hope he gets everything he deserves.

Don't see too many poor politicians in The West, I doubt that US senators are queueing up for foodstamps, but that's acceptable to Farangs, it's a Thai guy who's a Billionaire that is unacceptable to many Farangs, especially now he lives in UK and has purchased a Football Club. Probably owns a Dream House and an Apartment in Kensington, whilst Farangs in Thailand have to jump through hoops just to stay legal. This really pizzes them off!

LOL. what rubbish. :o

I suggest you have a read through this thread and find out why he has pissed farangs off. Reasons are given.

Almost everybody in Thailand is right wing, even most left wingers have such a strong nationalist element in their views that they are in international terms a rather lousy excuse for what i would consider left wing. True left wingers are a rare species here.

Thaksin was/is foremost a pragmatic rightwinger, but at least not particularly social conservative unlike the bunch that is running the place now with their "left wing" social conservative sycophants.

Like Vietnam where the Americans misunderstood Ho Chi Minh as being a communist when he was foremost a nationalist, so it is with Thailand, a society based on families, small companies, and even with multi- nationals a rapid turnover of staff; there is no proletariat force eager to seize the means of production. They are too dispersed and fragmented.

Your definition of' true' left wingers is simply inapplicable here.

Thaksin is an opportunist rather than pragmatic in my view, a pragmatic man would not have upset so many of his allies, apart from his enemies, and no leader in Thai modern history had more sycophants. Has any TRT MP ever dared say anything negative about the great leader?

Arrogance breeds contempt which leads to downfall.

With a big fat Grin ?

But never forget the way that Thailand always forget & forgives the big guys errors & faults…a few years down the road and he will be back in favor and most prob in power, courtesy of all the people (Cronies) he made unusually wealthy along his way

:o

But he's ethnic Chinese--I don't think he'll be cremated, I think he'll be buried. Does that mean we have to wait for him to rot!

I hope he does get buried... then I can give him the same treatment I gave Marcos' grave in Hawaii .... and piss on his grave.

I may not be able to follow. Would you kindly bring along my sample bottle and empty it's content slooooowly once you're done?

I suggest you have a read through this thread and find out why he has pissed farangs off. Reasons are given.

Yeah Mr Groover... :D I like Groover better than Grover for some strange reason.

But.................if Thaksin had come up with a plan that alllowed Farangs to own thier own property, you would all have fallen head over heels in love with him. 3000 drug deaths or not! :o

Like Vietnam where the Americans misunderstood Ho Chi Minh as being a communist when he was foremost a nationalist, so it is with Thailand, a society based on families, small companies, and even with multi- nationals a rapid turnover of staff; there is no proletariat force eager to seize the means of production. They are too dispersed and fragmented.

Your definition of' true' left wingers is simply inapplicable here.

Thaksin is an opportunist rather than pragmatic in my view, a pragmatic man would not have upset so many of his allies, apart from his enemies, and no leader in Thai modern history had more sycophants. Has any TRT MP ever dared say anything negative about the great leader?

Arrogance breeds contempt which leads to downfall.

Very true on Ho Chi Minh, and most Asian left wingers. Mao's success only began when he got rid of the Komintern agents, and moved the revolution away from the almost non existent and comparably privileged workers to the peasants, which then resulted in some weird and partly failed thing, resulting in conditions that might one day in the future then apply to communist theory.

Anyhow, back to Thaksin, yes, he was very pragmatic in his opportunism, but don't underestimate him - in volatile Thai politics he has managed what no other elected PM has ever managed - staying for a full term, and even being re-elected. Sycophantism is rather natural to the patronage system in Thailand, and not just TRT, i fear.

In public of course no TRT member has said anything bad about Thaksin, in private though some have said some very critical things. They though saw Thaksin as the lesser evil. And personally, as much as i disliked Thaksin, since the Sondhi L. demonstrations, and especially since the coup, i came to believe that he possibly was the lesser of the evils. Abhisit may be a nicer and more moral man (in politician's terms - he still is the usual crop of characters who went to the right schools and universities just to be PM one day, and can only be trusted within limits) but he has no hope of getting enough popular support to do more than just give a nice face to a very dirty game.

Thaksin may have polarized the population (or better, brought polarizations that were swept under the carpet for too long into the open), but he has managed to make the first steps of drawing a previously mostly apathetic sectors of the population into politics. I have very little doubt that he did that not exactly out of pure altruism, but there is now a feeling under many of the poorer sectors that they have certain rights of what the government is owing them, instead of just waiting from charity of their higher ups.

Thaksin may have been placing himself as a great patron, but he did raise expectations where there were none before. That is a step into the right direction. I don't think that he was purely democratic, but he could have been a stepping stone into development towards a democracy. Now unfortunately we stepped back into semi feudalism soon to be semi sakdina under the mantle of "guided democracy". But i doubt that this will hold for more than a few years. And then we see real trouble here, trouble that could have been avoided if the coup would not have happened.

LOL. what rubbish. :o

I fear that the majority of farang here have very little knowledge or interest in Thai politics or history, and have mostly been pissed off because Thaksin allowed the social conservatives in his party to close the bars earlier.

LOL. what rubbish. :D

I fear that the majority of farang here have very little knowledge or interest in Thai politics or history, and have mostly been pissed off because Thaksin allowed the social conservatives in his party to close the bars earlier.

If the threads from a couple years ago are anything to go by, bar closings led to "We're all moving to Cambodia/Malaysia/Phils/etc.... posts in the thousands, where drug war deaths garnered some, but not nearly as much interest. :o

If the threads from a couple years ago are anything to go by, bar closings led to "We're all moving to Cambodia/Malaysia/Phils/etc.... posts in the thousands, where drug war deaths garnered some, but not nearly as much interest. :o

And given the minimal interest the present allegations of ongoing death squad and vigilante killings in the three southern provinces are generating now here on the forums, it appears that for most posters hating Thaksin was more important even that the principle of due process.

Thaksin made it more difficult for us foreigners to stay in Thailand? Well yes, the present government has not made it any easier either, and no hope that the next elected government will in the end loosen the new regulations. And being objective about it - the whole world has stiffened Visa regulations, and worldwide there is unfortunately very little outcry about it. One of the ironies here is also that many of the ones who scream about the harsher Visa regulations for us foreigners in Thailand are the same ones who defend and support any stiffening of visa regulations back in their own home countries.

Thaksin came to power because inherent weaknesses of the system, but removing Thaksin with a coup exposed and even strengthened the same weaknesses of the system, weakening it even further. He could have been an important stepping stone to eventual democracy if the powers that are would have just given it a bit more time.

Bars are open again until for whatever time the owners pay to the local police stations. That may be nice and comfortable to have a late night out. But i doubt that this is contributing to Thailand's development into a civil society and rule of law.

And given the minimal interest the present allegations of ongoing death squad and vigilante killings in the three southern provinces are generating now here on the forums, it appears that for most posters hating Thaksin was more important even that the principle of due process.

Thaksin made it more difficult for us foreigners to stay in Thailand? Well yes, the present government has not made it any easier either, and no hope that the next elected government will in the end loosen the new regulations. And being objective about it - the whole world has stiffened Visa regulations, and worldwide there is unfortunately very little outcry about it. One of the ironies here is also that many of the ones who scream about the harsher Visa regulations for us foreigners in Thailand are the same ones who defend and support any stiffening of visa regulations back in their own home countries.

Thaksin came to power because inherent weaknesses of the system, but removing Thaksin with a coup exposed and even strengthened the same weaknesses of the system, weakening it even further. He could have been an important stepping stone to eventual democracy if the powers that are would have just given it a bit more time.

Bars are open again until for whatever time the owners pay to the local police stations. That may be nice and comfortable to have a late night out. But i doubt that this is contributing to Thailand's development into a civil society and rule of law.

Your posts show a deeper insight in Thailand's future than most members...

The numerous topics about the past draw far more attention than those of the -very near- future and I stand side-by-side with your views.

The blinded view of the past, some posters wish to point out over and over again in those numerous topics, right or wrong, is exactly what the present rulers' propaganda machines wished for and they got what they aimed for.

What the majority doesn't see (yet) is the dangerous future ahead, the same rulers are preparing, cooking and boiling... :D

But, the majority will see it one day. In the meantime the stone is rolling already, downhill, for the Thai that is.

The only positive 'outlook' I see is the silent majority of Thailand, still silent and whispering.

But the voice will become louder and louder until the people won't take it any longer and as everybody knows, there is NO power in the world who can withstand the power of the people, no matter how long it may take.

And than?..the rulers better pack their bags, if they have time...

LaoPo

Colpyat,

you have recently started mentioning "death squads" in almost every Thaksin related thread and I've just counted 11 posts of yours mentioning "death squads" where I counted 24 times the words "death squads". This fixation is relying on ONE single news article so far.

Are you trying to somehow mess up the world's search engines with the Southern insurgency? :o

Edited by Tony Clifton

Colpyat,

you have recently started mentioning "death squads" in almost every Thaksin related thread and I've just counted 11 posts of yours mentioning "death squads" where I counted 24 times the words "death squads". This fixation is relying on ONE single news article so far.

Are you trying to somehow trying to mess up the world's search engines with the Southern insurgency? :o

Sorry Tony, I can't resist:

How many of your 2,500+ posts are Thaksin related ?

LaoPo

Colpyat,

Are you trying to somehow trying to mess up the world's search engines with the Southern insurgency? :o

LaoPo

Hundreds of Thaksin related articles from numerous news sources can cover most of my hundreds of Thaksin related posts.

Edited by Tony Clifton

Colpyat,

LaoPo

Hundreds of Thaksin related articles from numerous news sources can cover most of my hundreds of Thaksin related posts.

Thank you.

LaoPo

But.................if Thaksin had come up with a plan that alllowed Farangs to own thier own property, you would all have fallen head over heels in love with him.

He did!.... His personal baby, the Thai Elite Card, promised that as one of its main selling points.

How will he be remembered? How far in the distant future are we going? I had a group of students (COLLEGE STUDENTS) in the USA that did not know who Adolf Hitler was. Incredible but true.

My guess is that he and his memory will fade away as time goes by.............like most of us.