Ibm Thinkpad Cd-rw Problem

Rdrokit

Have a R32 ThinkPad running Windows XP. The CD-RW does not recognize any discs. I have uninstalled the driver and rebooted the system and reinstalled the hardware. I have downloaded the latest BIOS from the Lenovo website. Still when I go to My Computer on the Desktop the CD Drive does not show up??? I can load a CD and I can fell the drive spooling up but nothing else happens. Tried audio and video discs......nothing. What are my next steps????

Thanks,

rokit

P.S. I have run PC Doctor on the CD and it says Can Not Run Test when I try.

start > controll pannel > system > hardware > device manager ,

does the drive show here ?

Yes, It shows CD and under CD it shows IC25N03OATC504-0. This is where I uninstalled the driver and then reinstalled it when I rebooted the system.

without a doubt ,

i'm out unless you want to obtain a copy of tune-up 2007 , amongst other things it lets you specify drives to be shown ,

therefore there is a system setting somewhere .........................

maybe some others can chime in ?

Perhaps the drive letter assignment has been removed somehow... go to Start -> Run -> "diskmgmt.msc"

When you see a list of all the physical drives, right-click the drive and select "Change Drive Letter and Paths..." Then you can see if the drive has been assigned a letter. If the list is blank, assign the next available letter after your fixed hard drive to it.

If it has a drive letter but still doesn't show in explorer, the OS may be hiding it. Install TweakUI from microsoft and find the section "My Computer" > "Drives" and make sure all letters are checked.

Perhaps the drive letter assignment has been removed somehow... go to Start -> Run -> "diskmgmt.msc"

When you see a list of all the physical drives, right-click the drive and select "Change Drive Letter and Paths..." Then you can see if the drive has been assigned a letter. If the list is blank, assign the next available letter after your fixed hard drive to it.

If it has a drive letter but still doesn't show in explorer, the OS may be hiding it. Install TweakUI from microsoft and find the section "My Computer" > "Drives" and make sure all letters are checked.

CD drive does not show only the main drive marked with a "C"