Word Document To Pdf Conversion

brahmburgers

Yesterday I downloaded several programs from software995.com which all claimed to do what I seek: Convert .doc (word files) to .pdf format. However, the 995 programs - though still saying all the right things in their intro blurb, never actually gave me a tangible way to do the conversion - at least no way that I can find.

Is there workable conversion software on the T.Visa download section?

One of my documents has b&w photos embedded, and another has Thai font - will this pose problems in the conversion process?

Last year, I was able to convert a file to pdf via an online service within the Adobe website, but I can't seem to find the same service at this time. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

i use a very good piece of freeware called CutePDF writer. if you google cutepdf download you will find it.

This installs a new printer on your system, and if you print to this printer the output is stored as a file in pdf format.

Edited by stickyb

If you've got Adobe Acrobat Pro this functionality is directly available from MS Word and can be accessed from the 'Convert to PDF button' on the Word toolbar.

At $500US retail its not exactly a cheap option.

CutePDF writer is free but you will get some extra text at the bottom of each page.

Assuming you can run MS Word and also have access to a Linux machine (or cygwin), you can install just about any Postscript printer driver on Windows (choose a color printer with "level 3" Postscript support, e.g. one of the larger HP bsiness printers, etc.). Then, set the printer driver device connection to print "to file", and print the document from MS Word. Go into the advanced settings and properties and find the "PS" or "postscript" section and adjust some settings: optimize for portability, download truetype as softfonts, and download as native truetype.

You will have a file now, such as "myfile.prn" and this is actually a Postscript file so you can copy it to a Linux box and rename it to myfile.ps and view it with ghostview or any other postscript viewer as a sanity check. Then, use the ps2pdf converter that is included with ghostscript. I usually use "ps2pdf -sPAPERSIZE=a4 myfile.ps" and it will create myfile.pdf

This has always worked for me, even with tricky files that absolutely confuse OpenOffice. The "pdftk" tool on Linux is also great though it has its own very arcane command-line syntax, in case you need to do more complex manipulation of PDF files such as to split or merge pages from multiple files.

…CutePDF writer is free but you will get some extra text at the bottom of each page.
When I print to CutePDF Writer nothing gets attached anywhere, neither at the bottom nor anywhere else.

The attached file was printed from Firefox to CutePDF Writer.

--

Maestro

Simmo_PDF.pdf

To convert a document using 995 just open the document, select print, select the PDF995 printer, select where you want to store the pdf file. The PDF995 printer is installed when you run the 995 installation program.

thanks for all the feedback. After posting, I tried again, and realized the conversion using 995 (that I had downloaded earlier in the day) was do-able.

Although I had read their instructions and was perplexed, it dawned on me later how easy it was. As ZZZ mentions, it's done via their downloadable 'printer' software - and although you're not printing in the real sense (of using your printer hardware to print on paper), the printing add-on does the conversion to .pdf It does it fast and clean, and there's no 'watermark' or added text.

It also works for charts and Thai font, and may also work for embedded photos (haven't tried that yet).

However, I noticed that, although hyperlinks show up in .pdf document, they don't seem to work as clickable links.

If you've got Adobe Acrobat Pro this functionality is directly available from MS Word and can be accessed from the 'Convert to PDF button' on the Word toolbar.

CutePDF writer is free but you will get some extra text at the bottom of each page.

Acrobat Pro would be the worst option even if it was free. It installs itself all over the system and does all sorts of things you don't want it to do. Horrible bloatware.

Not so. I have used CutePDF writer for several years, and there is no such extra text.

Sateev

Yesterday I downloaded several programs from software995.com which all claimed to do what I seek: Convert .doc (word files) to .pdf format. However, the 995 programs - though still saying all the right things in their intro blurb, never actually gave me a tangible way to do the conversion - at least no way that I can find.

Is there workable conversion software on the T.Visa download section?

One of my documents has b&w photos embedded, and another has Thai font - will this pose problems in the conversion process?

Last year, I was able to convert a file to pdf via an online service within the Adobe website, but I can't seem to find the same service at this time. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

dopdf.com is another pdf converter that you "print and save the pdf"

PrimoPDF is very good - I use it myself. However you do need to be online to use it otherwise it throws up an error, if this isn't a problem then it's great as it's installed as a printer and you can print from anything.

I also use CAD/KAS PDF Editor . . . not a keen lover of all things Adobe!

Edited by technocracy