Internet In Ko Samui

How about internet connection condition in ko samui? often cut off connection or not ?

How about electric power condition in ko samui? ften black out or not ?

To rent house or apartment where I can use telephone line to connect internet

for 2 hours without cut off is difficult?

Please inform to me

Should not be a problem. Just make certain that property you get has a telephone line in place BEFORE you sign or move in. Promises can end up in a misunderstanding..............if you get the gist!

These days not many electricity failiured in most places and internet connection a little slow but normally okay. ISDN is available.

One problem is that hard discs do not last that long 18 months is the max you can rely on. High humidity, heat, dust do not go well with an HD. So make certain you have easy and good back up solution.

• 5 months later...
One problem is that hard discs do not last that long 18 months is the max you can rely on. High humidity, heat, dust do not go well with an HD. So make certain you have easy and good back up solution.

Sorry, didn't read this before... :o

Isn't this problem (high humidity) the same all over the Far East? It's hard to believe that everybody has to buy a new Hard Disk every 18 months or so...?!

ADSL: question: is it still difficult to get an ADSL connection on Samui?...and...if so, yes or no, are there certain areas where it is more simple than others?

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

I have a small internet shop so i went through it all (still am).

My plan was to have 2 telephone lines, 1 from TOT and 1 from TT&T

TOT advised me to install an ISDN line as ADSL is not available on TOT lines. Fine by me, i used ISDN in the Netherlands and was happy with that.

TOT took a long time to install the line. If it was not that a brother of a shop owner where i get my supplies worked at the office of TOT i probably was still waiting for it.

ISDN installed but to my surprise no NT-1 box. So basically i had two wires with some electricity on it and it was my task to find where i can buy a NT-1 box. This box is needed if you want to use the line. Very strange that it was not provided with the telephone line because without it it is useless.

Only place to buy it was ITC in Lamai. 5-6000 baht for the NT-1 and about 1500 for an isdn modem. That was too expensive for me so i changed it to a normal analogue line (500 baht) and used a normal 56k6 modem.

Meanwhile i ordered a 2nd line from TT&T. I did it at their booth in Tesco Lotus. 8 weeks later after 8 visits to their booth because i heared nothing i was informed to pay 4000 baht and it would be installed within 2 weeks. after 10 days the guys installed the line. Not functioning yet but that should take 1 or 2 days. That was 2 weeks ago, still waiting for a signal.

Now if that works the next step is to ask for ADSL.

I probably have everything working the way i planned it (in september 2004) when high season is over. But TIT.

In the house i rented the owner installed a telephne line for us from TT&T. Installed and working within 10 days. She probably has some connections.

ADSL should be available with TT&T lines in Lamai and Chaweng, Bophut, Meanam i saw somewhere on a list. Probably other places too.

Lindaz,

If you use Samarts or Loxinfo from home, expect to be disconnected on a regular base, especially with Samarts.

Connections on a 56K modem can be terribly slow and especially on Samarts, sometimes you have for minutes on end no exchange at all.

ADSL is supposedly available aoutside of Chaweng and Lamai soon, according to TT&T.

I'd suggest to get a TT&T line oif possible, better service in general than TOT.

Khun Jean summs it up pretty well.

I asked TT&T for a line, had good service tho at the Lotus boot, with all the costs explained to me, just told them that if no ADSL is available at my place, I'm not interested in a phone line. They haven't found out if ADSL is available, but somebody came already to check out the house and the distance to the road, so they can put the phone lines in....TIT

i had a ttt phone line installed (arranged it at the booth at tesco), i live in bophut , they offered me adsl but i went for a normal line.

it was up and running within 2 weeks , they came when they said they would and all went according to plan.

i use ksc dial up , i buy the 259baht for 50 hour cards at the bookshop in the tesco complex and, apart from occasionally needing 2 or 3 attempts to make the initial connection, have no problems. speeds are as good as dial up can be and much better than the internet cafes on the island (apart from the high speed ones.)

the problem is getting the postman to deliver the phone bills and the attitude of the staff in the nathorn ttt office. bitches !!! :o