Rafael Nadal Withdraws From Thailand Tennis Open

sbk

Update: Nadal out of Thailand Open

By Tor Chittinand

The Thailand Open tennis tournament suffered a blow yesterday when world number two Rafael Nadal of Spain pulled out because of a knee injury. Nadal, who has won three grand slam events, is at home in Mallorca receiving treatment for tendonitis in his left knee, which he suffered from in the recent US Open.

See the Bangkok Post for the rest here

Andy Roddick is still in, although not on top form, still a good player and worth seeing. Although I see Paradorn isn't even playing, anyone know why?

By Tor Chittinand

The Thailand Open tennis tournament suffered a blow yesterday when world number two Rafael Nadal of Spain pulled out because of a knee injury. Nadal, who has won three grand slam events, is at home in Mallorca receiving treatment for tendonitis in his left knee, which he suffered from in the recent US Open.

Andy Roddick is still in, although not on top form, still a good player and worth seeing. Although I see Paradorn isn't even playing, anyone know why?

Busy decorating his new house? :o

By Tor Chittinand

Paradorn made a showing at the Thai Open last night. He just got married so I expect that he will just wait till the next season to make a comeback.

If you haven't heard by now, the Thailand Open 2007 has been plagued by widespread withdrawals from the tournament. The three top seeded players have dropped out including Nadal, Djokovic, and Roddick. There also have been a number of other dropouts including Thomas Johannsen and Joachim Johannsen, as well as other advertised players such as Jose Acacuso, Carlos Berloq and others. The draw was filled with players who lost in the qualifiers, including one guy(Thai) who lost in the 2nd round of the qualifying tournament.

Roddick's last minute withdrawal was the worst since people attending the Open had to watch two very low level players, in place of Roddick's match. It was a rip off for all concerned!

I suspect Roddick took one look at his quarter of the draw and realized he might not even make it to the semis since Tommy Haas is slated to play him in the quarters. I don't believe his excuse about an ankle injury. He chickened out! Roddick sucks! :o