Garbage Washes On Beach - Central Pattaya - Worst Ever

h5n1

We went to Jomtien Beach yesterday, around where the Jomtien Beach Condo is, with our daughter and her two friends. After minutes they came up complaining the water was "itchy" and with rashes. We packed up and went to Pattaya Park instead thinking that would take care of the problem but this morning all 3 girls are full of red itchy rashes.

Not a word from the authorities.

FILTHY! :o

Not a big surprise then. I had this happen once before (but not Pattaya/Jomtien beach) and we rinsed off immediately with bottled water; maybe remember that for the next time. I liked the Brasilian beaches that had shower stands at regular intervals so you could rinse off regularly. When you think of a crowded beach, you just know that half of those people are pissing (and worse) while playing out there so it doesn't always have to be pollution from offshore.

Yes it does, no rashes come from people pissing in the sea. Only municipal or industrial polution have enough volume to polute. It is the local govt.'s responsibility to post safe water signs but they don't give a crap, just want farang money.

From what I have seen so far in Thailand, I'm highly unimpressed with the Thai "out of sight, out of mind" attitude. How many times have I been on a songtaew & a Thai or 2 has haplessly thrown garbage overboard without a care in the world? About 20 times.

Mind you, when I was living & teaching in Argentina, people there had the same attitude. I actually organised a "clean up Varela" day & was greeted with comments like, "Why would you want to do that? People are only going to mess it up again."

I suppose that when you have more important things to worry about, like "loss of face", shitting in your own nest pales to insignificance.

I wonder what will happen when these people are knee deep in their own pollution?

It is the container ships off of Laem Chabang that are the main contributors. Heading out to Ko Sichang you see a lot of garbage freshly released. It's pretty hard to prevent, those ships don't care who gets the garbage, it goes overboard as they head out.

Yup!

Bang Saen beach is littered with garbage thrown overboard from the barges that travel up and down the coast or moored off Koh Si Chang. What we see on the beaches is but a fraction of what lies at the bottom :D I posted a picture of a kid on here somewhere where a kid is swimming amongst garbage in Bang Saen, you can even count three condoms floating. :D

Not to belabor this but the rubbish came off fishing/pleasure boat or container ship - there is/was just so much of it. It was 100% Thai. Usually the vendors do acceptable job of tidying their areas.

Thai's are very clean people save for the manner in which they litter and lack of waste disposal on a large scale.

Peace out & keep it green

I find Thais are very good at personal hygiene and dressing. On the other hand, they won't hesitate eating on the floor where their own dog has pissed numerous times and has dried up. "We use a matte" Have you ever washed it? No. Do you always lay the matte down on the same side? No. We once had a ceremony with monks, they were handed filthy cushions that were dirtier than the floor they sat on. What is it with this attraction to the ground when it comes to eating, sleeping, washing dishes and clothes? The very same ground that makes their feet dirty which they consider the "lowest" part of the body. :o

To entertain the kids - and myself - I've spent the odd occasion on beaches round the world going through the local flotsam and jetsam - we award "prizes" for the most far flung pieces of garbage found.

Many would be surprised at how far garbage has traveled either by boat or by sea before it lands on a shore.

look at brand names, and condition of the items and it gives you a clue to how it got there.

To entertain the kids - and myself - I've spent the odd occasion on beaches round the world going through the local flotsam and jetsam - we award "prizes" for the most far flung pieces of garbage found.

Many would be surprised at how far garbage has traveled either by boat or by sea before it lands on a shore.

look at brand names, and condition of the items and it gives you a clue to how it got there.

Great, Is the aids infested needle ever a winner?