Garbage Washes On Beach - Central Pattaya - Worst Ever

h5n1

Did anyone else catch the garbage that washed up on the beach last few days. Perhaps 100kg of plastic and rubbish wet. Of course, the vendors left it in the ocean hoping it would wash someplace else and they would not have to clean it up. City could not be bothered. Maybe focused on next air conditioned meeting on putting up a new LCD screen over the new highway.

I no longer consider this place home away from home. I'd leave now but have found it impossible to get a saftey box so will wait till I return home in 5 mos.

Lazy, Pathetic, Filthy

I lived in Bournemouth years ago whilst studying and though they got so many things wrong, the council knew their greatest asset - the beach. Each morning, before the first of the sun worshippers was up, they would have tractors going up and down the beach, tuerning over the sand, collecting all garbage. They did this over and over again and we really appreciated it. If you had a cigarette on the beach you'd take it with you.

In Mallorca, they did the same but also had dredgers out to replenish the beach if need be with clean fresh sand. You could then have a pristine environment each morning.

Now these councils knew that the town depended upon this but they themselves did not make any money in doing it. In Pattaya, not directly making money from your "elected" position in local government mena sthat it is not worth doing.

Then again, would I care if I could just fill my pockets with backhanders and screw the environment during my short term ion power ? Sure, because I know that later I can afford to go live somewhere which is not destroyed by short term cronyism.

Did anyone else catch the garbage that washed up on the beach last few days. Perhaps 100kg of plastic and rubbish wet. Of course, the vendors left it in the ocean hoping it would wash someplace else and they would not have to clean it up. City could not be bothered. Maybe focused on next air conditioned meeting on putting up a new LCD screen over the new highway.

I no longer consider this place home away from home. I'd leave now but have found it impossible to get a saftey box so will wait till I return home in 5 mos.

Lazy, Pathetic, Filthy

Yes I saw all the trash that washed up on Pattaya beach. I also saw the city with heavy equipment and city workers cleaning it up on Tuesday morning.

The city is doing all it can to keep Pattaya clean.

Barry

Two years ago, the Kao Takiab beach at Hua Hin took in a horrendous tonnage of garbage, including whole palm trees, hundreds of coconuts, garbage, styrofoam, dead animals, etc. Within the week, trucks and crews from the tessabaan had it cleaned up, and the various restaurants, guesthouses and condo complexes did their share. Maybe Pattaya does similarly.

I lived in Bournemouth years ago whilst studying and though they got so many things wrong, the council knew their greatest asset - the beach. Each morning, before the first of the sun worshippers was up, they would have tractors going up and down the beach, tuerning over the sand, collecting all garbage. They did this over and over again and we really appreciated it. If you had a cigarette on the beach you'd take it with you.

Why is this different from Pattaya? Clearly the beach is not pattaya's greatest asset. I am sure the pattaya council would jump into action if pattaya's greatest asset was disrupted.

Why is this different from Pattaya? Clearly the beach is not pattaya's greatest asset. I am sure the pattaya council would jump into action if pattaya's greatest asset was disrupted.

Too true !

Though they doth protest too much, methinks, about Pattaya going upmarket !

education, improved bin service and perhaps enforce littering laws with fines, over a long period of intense advertising they might get the message

The beach is not the only place, they just dump rubbish at the side of the road, the thais don't seem to have any concept of environmental cleanliness

Slogan - KEEP PATTAYA TIDY

Suppose it will end up with a team who clean it up, put it in a boat, dump it a little way out and and the next day to clean it up again, if they get the tides right they could have a job for life.

BB

The city had tractors and dozers and loaded all the trash in trucks and took it to the dump. My theory has always been the fishing boats and container boats dump at sea, and when the tide rises Pattaya gets the blunt of it.

Barry

It is the container ships off of Laem Chabang that are the main contributors. Heading out to Ko Sichang you see a lot of garbage freshly released. It's pretty hard to prevent, those ships don't care who gets the garbage, it goes overboard as they head out.

What happens in other ports? Is it the responsibility of the Port Authority? No doubt our City Hall has communicated with Laem Chabang. Hopefully our local press is reporting this and passing it on to national press.

There are comprehensive and long-standing regulations on what can be dumped overboard from a ship; in this instance MARPOL Annex V. However, the enforcement is only as good as the Chief Officer and/or vessel owner/operator.

There's a 100% prohibition on plastics being dumped overboard but unfortunately most commercial fishing activities use plastics in one form or another be it for nets, floats or buoys. When stuff breaks, nobody bothers to go back and try and recover it.

http://www.imo.org/Conventions/contents.as..._id=258#garbage

Wiley Coyote -

Not so Wiley or not here so long.... let me extend a story. After a big event I forget which some years ago (Jan1 or Loy Kratong) the beach was an absolute mess. I went to teh task of picking trash up on the waste of the so called 'beach'. A group of Thai's saw me from their chairs. Did they get up and help? nope, but they did clap... it was an eye opener.

Nan Laew: Totally agree! Dropping plastic in the ocean is an international offence. Thailand is allowing international law to be broken by the fishing boats and conatiner ships dumping trash. Whats really insane is they cant even be bothered to wait until they are out of the gulf. Why should Thailand care and especially Pattaya, just a bunch of stupid farang holiday there.

Both foreigner and esp Thai come here fro short time. They could care less what Pattaya looks like, so they trash it. Drive like maniacs, come here to commit crime, sell hard drugs... who cares...just Pattaya! Not like its home or anything.

Edited by h5n1

Cleaning house is not a Thai thing :o

Naka.

Disagree there - all the women in my wife's family spend a lot of time cleaning and prettying-up there homes. It is the environment outside that is filthy - no-one seems to care about the streets and open spaces.

And that is surely a City Hall problem, not the individual Thai.

(Although my wife does keep the street outside our house clean - she tells the maid to go and do it)

Surely most ports provide a facility for ships to discharge all their rubbish? One cannot legislate for prohibitions without providing an alternative, permissible, outlet.

Wiley Coyote -

Not so Wiley or not here so long.... let me extend a story. After a big event I forget which some years ago (Jan1 or Loy Kratong) the beach was an absolute mess. I went to teh task of picking trash up on the waste of the so called 'beach'. A group of Thai's saw me from their chairs. Did they get up and help? nope, but they did clap... it was an eye opener.

Nan Laew: Totally agree! Dropping plastic in the ocean is an international offence. Thailand is allowing international law to be broken by the fishing boats and conatiner ships dumping trash. Whats really insane is they cant even be bothered to wait until they are out of the gulf. Why should Thailand care and especially Pattaya, just a bunch of stupid farang holiday there.

Sorry ,at least you tried.

I would have helped you.

You are correct ,this should be a Priority of City Hall

Apologies

Wiley Coyote

Around the Dongtan beach area the deckchair rental people usually supply waste baskets for their customers.

But still there is garbage on the beach. And, as in Phuket, these same vendors are usually quite keen to keep their areas clean. They do realise that their livlihood depends on repeat customers, satisfied customers.

Shame that the authorities do not think that the overall cleanliness is a major contributing factor to luring in more tourists.

What are the beaches like in Snooky (Sihanoukville) now? I was there about five years ago and there was not much in the way of tourism. I assume it has developed now, but what do the city fathers do?

Not to belabor this but the rubbish came off fishing/pleasure boat or container ship - there is/was just so much of it. It was 100% Thai. Usually the vendors do acceptable job of tidying their areas.

Thai's are very clean people save for the manner in which they litter and lack of waste disposal on a large scale.

Peace out & keep it green

Lazy, Pathetic, Filthy

Another Bitter Farang that has ran out of money ?

Hahaha.......................don't worry pal, as long as there are people to sexually exploit in Pattaya, the punters will keep arriving....Oh, but don't tell me, you came and stayed in Pattaya for the beaches.........yeah right. :o

Cleaning house is not a Thai thing :o

Naka.

Disagree there - all the women in my wife's family spend a lot of time cleaning and prettying-up there homes. It is the environment outside that is filthy - no-one seems to care about the streets and open spaces.

And that is surely a City Hall problem, not the individual Thai.

(Although my wife does keep the street outside our house clean - she tells the maid to go and do it)

Surely most ports provide a facility for ships to discharge all their rubbish? One cannot legislate for prohibitions without providing an alternative, permissible, outlet.

Agree with you there HB, it's not only Thais but most Asians that have this "out of sight, out of mind" attitude. They'll have the inside of their house absolutely spotless but their street can be a total sh1thole. In Bahrain there were stunning mansions surrounded by 12 foot high walls over which they'd throw the black bin liners full of rubbish that the stray dogs would rip apart and scatter far and wide.

We went to Jomtien Beach yesterday, around where the Jomtien Beach Condo is, with our daughter and her two friends. After minutes they came up complaining the water was "itchy" and with rashes. We packed up and went to Pattaya Park instead thinking that would take care of the problem but this morning all 3 girls are full of red itchy rashes.

Not a word from the authorities.

FILTHY! :o

post-1539-1191205292_thumb.jpg

Edited by Phil Conners

We went to Jomtien Beach yesterday, around where the Jomtien Beach Condo is, with our daughter and her two friends. After minutes they came up complaining the water was "itchy" and with rashes. We packed up and went to Pattaya Park instead thinking that would take care of the problem but this morning all 3 girls are full of red itchy rashes.

Not a word from the authorities.

FILTHY! :o

Not a big surprise then. I had this happen once before (but not Pattaya/Jomtien beach) and we rinsed off immediately with bottled water; maybe remember that for the next time. I liked the Brasilian beaches that had shower stands at regular intervals so you could rinse off regularly. When you think of a crowded beach, you just know that half of those people are pissing (and worse) while playing out there so it doesn't always have to be pollution from offshore.