Justice Minister Launches Crime Prevention Network

Jai Dee

Justice Minister launches crime prevention network

The Justice Minister, Mr. Charnchai Likitchita (ชาญชัย ลิขิตจิตถะ), presided over the seminar organized by the Department of Speical Investigation (DSI) to help improve public safety and prevent crimes. The seminar was held today (September 28th) at Chao Phraya Park Hotel on Ratchadapisek Road, Bangkok.

Mr. Charnchai says the seminar was organized to encourage members of the public to join a network for preventing crimes. The network currently has more than 320 members from public and private sectors. They will help report suspicious incidents and activities to the authority.

Justice Minister Charnchai signed an agreement with Phum Thai (ภูมิไทย) Foundation and the crime prevention network to jointly help address crimes.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 28 September 2007

"The network currently has more than 320 members from public and private sectors. They will help report suspicious incidents and activities to the authority. "

I seem to remember East Germany trying the same thing...

They have the same thing in many places. It depends how it is sold to the world and who uses the information.

Wrapped in a warm and cuddley cloak it is called "Neighbourhood Watch" in Australia.

I studied Criminal Justice back at Uni. There is a method for preventing crime known as CPTED (Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design). It uses techniques that are as simple as lighting a dark area and putting up thorny bushes in front of easily accessible windows. Community Oriented Policing and Problem Solving (COPPS) is starting to be used here by involving demographics of the community. This works well in middle and upper class neighborhoods however poorer communities (where most crime takes place) are often reluctant to communicate with police (or so is the case in the US).

When crime is prevented then police have nothing to report and it gives the impression that they are not doing their job. It is a political strategy to say "preventing crime" when what they really want to do is solve more crime so they can continue to receive funding. Usually funding is based on how many arrests were made rather than how many crimes were prevented (which can not be calculated except for annual statistics which is lengthy and often incorrect).

I am curious as to what was said at the meeting. I wonder if there were any real suggestions or if it was just a back scratching festival.