Backing Up

Teach

Hiya, all you techno geeks and general know all's.

Bit of help and understanding required here.

Just found out that the Operating System in my desktop is as one would expect - a Thai copy - ME. The inbuilt programs - word, excel, powerpoint etc are now virtually non-existent, and just hang when used.

What i plan to do is to instal my original windows '98 o/s from my notebook but, what's this about backing-up files and stuff.

I have about 8 gig's of documents info ( mostly photo's) that will take for ever to back-up (burn) onto cd's. Then there's all the other stuff to back-up -programs and shit.

What's the SP with back-up, can I put it into the hard drive of the desktop and recall it later and if I can what's the procedure Do I delete the defunct ME or just overide it with Win '98.

Any help guy's would be most appreciated,

Teach

if both have network adaptors you could copy the data u want to save to yer desktop with that no problemo.. Then yer best of giving it a full format before reinstalling XP, rather than 98 :o You should then run into fewer probs once yer up and running again....

if both have network adaptors you could copy the data u want to save to yer desktop with that no problemo.. Then yer best of giving it a full format before reinstalling XP, rather than 98 :o You should then run into fewer probs once yer up and running again....

Cheers Madfrankie,

You complement me with a knowledge that unfortunately I do not have, what the jesus is 'network adaptors and formatting????????

Above my head old chum.

Here's the ditty:

My laptop works excellent with '98, I've never had any problems with it at all, and it gives me all the functions i would ever need. I want to use the CD rom O/S to install in the desktop that has ME (thai copy) at present.

If I have to back up all my files and installed programs in order to save them, how do i do that, what's the procedure...in English please.

Thanks

Teach

You may encounter a couple of problems in doing what you propose.

1. Windows usually does not allow you to install an older version (ie: Win98) on top of a newer version (ie: WinME). You would probably need to clean the HDD (reformat), before it would work.

2. Most OEM re-install discs are proprietary to that manufacturer's equipment and even to specific models. Chances are, you could not install your laptop's OS onto your desktop, even if it is the same make (IBM, DELL, etc).

Your best bet is probably borrowing/buying a copy of WinXP (Home or Pro) and installing it over the WinME. (NOTE: Check your desktops specs against the "minimum" requirements shown on the OS box, or at Microsoft's website, before buying new OS.)

Your 8 gig backup of file is not that great. About 12 CD's and a hours time (if you have a 40X or higher burner.) You could also look for a good used External-HDD (say 10 gigs), and copy files over to it. Other solutions might be partitioning your HDD to allow for booting into a different OS, or a new HDD with the old one as a backup ( ie: C:\ and D:\ )

I suspect your big problem will be item 2 above. Have you talked to your local service tech? Perhaps he could help.

Sorry I have to be the bearer of bad news.

1. Windows usually does not allow you to install an older version (ie: Win98) on top of a newer version (ie: WinME). You would probably need to clean the HDD (reformat), before it would work.

2. Most OEM re-install discs are proprietary to that manufacturer's equipment and even to specific models. Chances are, you could not install your laptop's OS onto your desktop, even if it is the same make (IBM, DELL, etc).

Your best bet is probably borrowing/buying a copy of WinXP (Home or Pro) and installing it over the WinME. (NOTE: Check your desktops specs against the "minimum" requirements shown on the OS box, or at Microsoft's website, before buying new OS.)

Your 8 gig backup of file is not that great. About 12 CD's and a hours time (if you have a 40X or higher burner.) You could also look for a good used External-HDD (say 10 gigs), and copy files over to it. Other solutions might be partitioning your HDD to allow for booting into a different OS, or a new HDD with the old one as a backup ( ie: C:\ and D:\ )

I suspect your big problem will be item 2 above. Have you talked to your local service tech? Perhaps he could help.

No problems, better to get it now then fumble on without knowing. That would obviously have been a huge cock-up.

Thanks for the help, points taken, I'll give the problem back to the Phantip supplier.

Regards,

Teach

No problems, better to get it now then fumble on without knowing. That would obviously have been a huge cock-up.

Thanks for the help, points taken, I'll give the problem back to the Phantip supplier.

Regards,

Teach

If youve got a pantip supplier then you might just want to let them do the whole thing for you. Tell them what data you want to keep and let them install a new os with all the programs you need. Should not cost much