How To Cook Phad Thai?

RoyalOrchid

There are many ways to cook this dish. But once you have a basic recipe, I suggest you play around with making it more fancy with these ideas:

add paprika to the spice sauce to make it red

add tamarind paste to the spice sauce to add some zip

add large dried shrimps (often these are missing on street versions but they are so good)

add an egg (fry in some oil on a side of the work, and then mix in near the end)

use lots of bean sprouts either served on the side to mix yourself or mixed in the wok before serving

serve with sriracha sauce on the side

Edited by Jingthing

Pad Khapow Gai

Try using this as a basic recipe. As Jingthing says, you can add or mess with the ingredients to suit your own taste.

* 1/4 cup Vegetable oil

* 8 Cloves of garlic, crushed

* 8 Fresh green chilies

* 300 gm Chicken breast, sliced

* 2 Fresh red chilies sliced lengthwise

* 1 tblsp Oyster sauce

* 1/4 tsp Black soya sauce

* 1/2 tsp Fish sauce

* 1/3 cup Basil leaf

Heat the oil in a wok. Add the garlic and green chilies and fry for 1 minute. Fry the chicken in the same oil until almost cooked. Add the red chili, oyster sauce, fish sauce and soya sauce and cook for a few minutes. Add the basil leaves prior to serving.

I would like to learn the right way of cooking Phad Thai.

I saw on one cookery program a Thai chef saying its one of the hardest to do right and that he gives it as a test to chef's just as a lot of western chefs make an applicant make a ommelette.

With pad thai I thinks its the rapid changes in heat required at different stages.

Mine have always been crap and I can cook some complicated dishes but admit defeat here :o

Ummm, Pad Khapow Gai and Pad Thai (a noodle dish) are totally different dishes.

The thing about Pad Thai is different people like it different. Practice makes perfect, don't expect the first try to be good. Keep trying and experimenting and you can find your perfect pad Thai, better than any restaurant could do.

Edited by Jingthing

Ummm, Pad Khapow Gai and Pad Thai (a noodle dish) are totally different dishes.

Right Jingthing, they are two different dishes!! Pls. Don't mix it up. PhadThai isn't Phad Khapow, way way way waaaaaay different. Not even one bit close.

Sorry, I misread the OP. My excuse is that it's well after beer o'clock. I'll cease posting for the day now. :o:D

:D Sorta figured what could it be the reason! Here it was. No biggie. Now we can have Phad Khapow before get to PhadThai, all good all good in the hood.