Thai driving license

This may be of interest to other forum readers, ..My experience of getting a Thai Driving License... My first port of call was the local immigration office, to obtain a certificate confirming where i am staying in Thailand. The documents needed to get this were, an original of my house rental agreement, and one photo copy. ( if you are staying at a weekly/monthly rented apartment or room, you can show a letter heading, or a business card showing the address.the immigration officer will then telephone the address to confirm that you are staying there. ) you also need your passport, and one photo copy, ( showing all pages ) .sign all the photo copy pages, one passport size photo, and 500 Baht... I was told to return the next day , which i did, and was given the certificate.... now to the local private hospital to get a Doctors medical certificate, to confirm my state of health, on to the weighing machine, then check my blood pressure, next a test for colour blindness ( look at 5 coloured spots on a wall chart ) then off to see the Doctor, who checked my breathing with his stethoscope. looked into my eye's , and asked me how i felt..? then it was off to the cashier pay the 120 baht, and receive my medical certificate.... Next day off to the local vechicle tax and license office, ..the documents i required to get my Thai drivers license was... A. The certificate confirming where i was staying, issued by the Immigration office and one photo copy.  B. the Doctors medical certificate and one photo copy.  C. my original home country driving license ( or international drivers license ) and one photo copy.  D. My Passport, and one photocopy,  E. 2 passport size photos, ( if you apply at the same time for both a license to drive a car, and a license to drive a motor bike, you will need to double the photo copy's and the photo's. ) ... I went to the office window, handed over my paper work, and told the girl i wanted both a license to drive a car, and one to drive a motor bike. she checked the paper work and told me to go into the next room and sit down, the room looked like a school class room, with a few row's of desks . After about 20 minutes the girl came over and gave me the test paper work, ..for the car license test it was about 20 questions, ( in English ) each question had 4 or 5 answers  you had to put a cross on the question you thought right. some of the road signs shown were written in thai, which i did not know, after compleateing the test paper, ( all execpt the Thai road signs i did not know ) I called the girl over , and told her i did not know some of the Thai sign's. She just smiled and pointed to the correct one's . She took the test papers away , and came back with the test for the motorbike, this time a few more questions, but the English translation had gone down hill a bit. My results were not good, but the girl was " VERY ' helpfull, I was told  back to the office window, and wait . The same girl came to the window, said  i had passed ok, and it was 500 Baht for each license, I left the building proudly clutching my new approved Thai driving licenses. one thing to add was at the test office window , the girl tested me again for colour blindness, by holding up 6 coloured papers , showing hidden numbers on them, i had to tell her which number i could see. all in a day's work in !!!!

tic-toc..Well done...positive attitude.As with all buro.organisations througthout the world be polite.smile and quiety go along with them.After all they will still be there tomorrow and the next day while YOU get what YOU want and be on your way. :o

I can only tell you that I got the papers from immigration for free... Had to do the same test and paid something like Baht 150.-- such as Baht 100 for Car and 50 for Motorbike.

Goes to show that the deep south has less problems with bribes (got it in Songkhla).

Cheers   :o

Hanuman19

• 6 years later...
TicToc, the six bits of paper were probably her phone number

<deleted> are you replying to a posting which is nearly 7 years old.. :o

<deleted> are you getting irate about,I didn't notice the date so some big crime FDH.