Donner Kebab

plasticpig

Its one of those types of food you eat on the way back from a bar/pub,

You think you need it but you don’t.

And next day you stink of it, your car stinks for weeks.

The hole house stinks. And you left it half eaten on the table

In the front room, and guest what the dog never even nibbled at it

In the night.

I want one.

When i was in the RN one of my roommates used to buy 2 on the way home from a night on the beer. He would eat one on the way home and sleep with one under his pillow to have for breakfast.

They are delicious when you are drunk but extremely grim when sober. I want one too!

• 1 month later...
Try sukhumvit soi 3, lots of middle eastern/muslim foods including shawarma/doner kebabs

No idea about a UK shwarma/donner party kebab......BUT did hve a great shwarma a few weeks ago across from Bumrungrad Hospital in the Middle Eastern part of town........guy sells (oddly) beef shwarma and chicken. The beef was wonderful and served with good bread and humus

• 3 months later...
Try sukhumvit soi 3, lots of middle eastern/muslim foods including shawarma/doner kebabs

:o That's the place....Sukhumvit Soi 3....with all the middle-eastern food places you can want. You will find a few Donner/Shawarma places where they will carve you a slice like they did in Turkey or Saudi (when I was working in those in places, some years ago).

Used to be a restaurant called Shaharazade (or however you spell it...as from the tales of the Thousand Nights). It had the best Arabic/middle eastern food I ever had in Bangkok. And cheap too, with big portions. They grilled lamb/chicken/beef for kebabs on a grill outside as you entered the place. No alchohol allowed as the owner was an Iranian moslem. The waitresses all wore headscarfs, but it had great Arabic Pita type bread, humass, Baba Ganush, and grilled green peppers (not the really hot ones) The place was up near the Sukhumvit end of the soi. You could take 4 or 5 people there, eat until you were stuffed full, and still be well under 500 baht (probably up to 1000 baht at today's prices). I'm pretty sure it is closed now, but I don't doubt there are still many restaurants in the that soi.

Incidentally, the term Donner Kabab comes from the Turkish city of Adana; an Adana Kabab being a Kabab done in the style of Adana. In Turkey, when I was there, an Adana Kabab was always meat served with a tomato sauce with red and green hot peppers on a bread roll.

Great stuff.

:D

:o That's the place....Sukhumvit Soi 3....with all the middle-eastern food places you can want. You will find a few Donner/Shawarma places where they will carve you a slice like they did in Turkey or Saudi (when I was working in those in places, some years ago).

Used to be a restaurant called Shaharazade (or however you spell it...as from the tales of the Thousand Nights). It had the best Arabic/middle eastern food I ever had in Bangkok. And cheap too, with big portions. They grilled lamb/chicken/beef for kebabs on a grill outside as you entered the place. No alchohol allowed as the owner was an Iranian moslem. The waitresses all wore headscarfs, but it had great Arabic Pita type bread, humass, Baba Ganush, and grilled green peppers (not the really hot ones) The place was up near the Sukhumvit end of the soi. You could take 4 or 5 people there, eat until you were stuffed full, and still be well under 500 baht (probably up to 1000 baht at today's prices). I'm pretty sure it is closed now, but I don't doubt there are still many restaurants in the that soi.

Incidentally, the term Donner Kabab comes from the Turkish city of Adana; an Adana Kabab being a Kabab done in the style of Adana. In Turkey, when I was there, an Adana Kabab was always meat served with a tomato sauce with red and green hot peppers on a bread roll.

Great stuff.

Shaharazad is still running strong and has great food. My personal favorite on that street is Naser Mesri Restaurant, unfortunately they don't do doners.

Bon Appetit

nana1_medium.jpg

Al-Iraqi

The Iraqi food: Kebabs and barbecued meats are the main components of this restaurant's menu: fish, lamb, chicken, ribs and prawns. The restaurant has a bit of a hotel atmosphere as the location doubles as a guesthouse. Try the Iraqi kebab (B160) or kebab with rice (B200).

8/17-18 Soi 3/1, 02-655-5357, 02-251-8810. Open daily 9am-3:30am.

Beirut (2 branches):

Ploenchit Center branch

G/F, J City, 64 Silom Rd., near BTS Sala Daeng and MRT Silom

MehMaan

The food: It contains a number of assorted kebabs and comes in small (B340) and large (B650) sizes. Also popular are the lamb vindaloo (B250), chicken tikka masala (B220) and the ubiquitous garlic naan bread (B50).

• 69 Soi 3, 02-253-4689. Open daily 10:30am-3am; 5:30pm-12:30am

Shahrazad

The food: Start your meal off with some Middle Eastern appetizers: hummus (pureed chickpeas with sesame seed paste, B80), mutabbal (a.k.a. babaganoush, pureed eggplant with sesame seed paste, B80), lemony parsley and bulgur wheat salad (B80) and hot-from-the-oven naan (B20). For heartier appetites, try the leg of lamb (B200), the lamb chops or anything else made of lamb—it's all excellent, tender and not gamey. For the daring, try heart, head or testicles (and let us know what they're like). For dessert check out the Arabic custard (made with fresh milk, coconut and almonds, B70).

• 6/8 Soi 3/1, 02-254-7392/3, 02-251-3666. Open daily 10am-3am.

nana3_medium.jpg

nana2_medium.jpg

Petra

for Arabian food there is naan bread. The cooking area is at the front, and you have to walk past a clay oven—where bakers are baking naan—to enter this little Lebanese eatery.

The food: In addition to Lebanese dishes, there are also many Arab and Yemen specialties on the menu. Chicken curry (B150) is especially good when combined with fresh bread. The slowly cooked naan, baked to be crisp outside and soft inside, brings out the best of the flavorsome spices that are present in the curry. Many lamb dishes—such as lamb kebab (B130), barbecued lamb, and lamb ribs (B150)—are also popular.

• 75/4 Soi 3/1, 02-655-5230, 02-254-9226/-7. Open daily 8am-3am

No-name shawarma stalls

There are several—at least three—dedicated shawarma stalls (as well as restaurants that serve shawarma). By far the busiest and the best is on the corner of Soi 3 and a Soi 3/1 subsoi, next to the Grace Hotel. It's loud, hot and stressful, and you'll probably end up sitting next to some questionable characters (if you can get a seat), but well worth it. For B50 you get a choice of grilled beef or chicken in flatbread with veggies and your choice of

yogurt or chili sauce. (You can also get it with the bread on the side.) A tip: place your order in Thai and you'll get faster service.

The above-mentioned stall is a nighttime affair, so if you want your shawarma for lunch, try the shop next to Nefertiti, which serves them from 11am.

nana5_medium.jpg

Edited by zaza

The best donerkabab I ever had was when I was stationed in Turkey (where I believe it originated) and if i remember correctly, they put it over warm bread and added yogurt to it and it was fantastic!

100% agree with you on this one. I remember being in Turkey some years back & watching them prepare the kebab before cooking. This looked delicious before it was cooked. I remember them putting layer after layer of meat building up to the top of the thin "pole" or whatever it's called. Slightly different to this compact meat you see in so many places.

Found one in Pattaya last night. New Plaza, opposite soi 8, theres a new shop there just doing kebabs (about 2 shops in on left hand side). Had a lamb donner last night for 90 baht and it was awesome.

Tried one last night..........definately edible, at least the lamb kebab meat is "minced" and not in chunks as elsewhere in pattaya...........and garlic/chilli sauce ........90 baht not bad at all (although still a "wrap" and not a slit pitta bread as in the UK)

They also do all manner of other Turkish food.............worth a try anyway. :o

When i was in the RN one of my roommates used to buy 2 on the way home from a night on the beer. He would eat one on the way home and sleep with one under his pillow to have for breakfast.

They are delicious when you are drunk but extremely grim when sober. I want one too!

:o

I was also in the habit of buying them two at a time back in the UK - one to eat when I got in on a Friday night, one to microwave the next morning for breakfast - strangely enough my live-in girlfriend of 7 years left me shortly after I started doing that, can't imagine why ... :D

Not as good as sleeping with one under your pillow though!

CC

• 1 year later...

:) That's the place....Sukhumvit Soi 3....with all the middle-eastern food places you can want. You will find a few Donner/Shawarma places where they will carve you a slice like they did in Turkey or Saudi (when I was working in those in places, some years ago).

Great stuff.

Picking up where an old thread left off, just wanted to mention that Shahrazad is still open (till 3am nightly), still flourishing and still great for both Arabic and Indian cuisines.

• 3 months later...
Be nice to see them in Chiang Mai as well..

Lord knows we could do with it..

There's only so many shitty hamburgers one cat eat.. :)

that looks delicious. am watching out for a proper kebab long time already. so i should try this on on my next stay there!!

yesterday the wife came back to the hotel from suk soi 5 near Foodland with two shwarmas, one meat and one chicken that was served up by a subcontinent chef out front of an arab restaurant just in like the middle east(I've never seen an arab shwarma chef)...50 baht a pop...

the meat was OK but the bread resembled a thick flour tortilla (arabic bread is slightly leavened) otherwise not bad...shwarma was the one middle eastern item that the wife liked when we lived there; she never did like falafel, hummous, baba ganoush, tabouleh, etc...meself I lived on the stuff...

btw I ate a few times at a restaurant in Bursa in Turkey supposedly run by descendants of Iskender, the guy that invented the doner kebap...usually served piled high onna plate with bread on the side... :)

• 3 weeks later...
"Can i get a real Uk style Donner Kebab"

UK style? Pretty sure they didn't invent it...

You are obviously not from the UK and never eaten a large mixed doner with extra chilli sauce . The poster is asking for a UK " STYLE " kebab. Not a tradional style kebab on a skewer! He is not inferring they invented them there. The same way people ask for a UK style Indian. Chicken tikka massala is the most popular Indian dish in the UK but is unheard of in India! :)

• 4 weeks later...

Was out last night in Chiang Mai and around 9:30pm or so ran into a mobile kebab vendor on Loi Kroh. THB 80 for a wrap or bread with chicken. It was huge! Finally something good here in Chiang Mai.

When I went back to europe last year one of the first things was a nice doner kebab. Hit the spot big time lol Oh and of course cheese and stuff like that :)

Anyway, just wanted give a heads up.

i would be happy if I could get one. Does anyone Know where you can get Pita bread. I will make my own Kebabs then from Pork Loin Still tastes good but not like UK ones

Pita is available at Villa Supermarkets.

i would be happy if I could get one. Does anyone Know where you can get Pita bread. I will make my own Kebabs then from Pork Loin Still tastes good but not like UK ones

Also, Foodland.

• 2 weeks later...