Best Buy For Camcorders?

Shoeboat

Where in Bangkok could I buy a top of the range amateur camcorder for the best price?

I have been told Chinatown and Fortune City - neither of which I have been to.

Saw a not bad deal at Phantip, it was about the same price on Amazon only with spare batt, carry bag and DV cassettes included.

Phantip is the only place I know how to get to also! For directions to CT and FC plese start with the nearest BTS.

Finally, if anybody does have any personal comments on this - would you be inclined to go for Panasonic or Sony?

I trust Panasonic and they have not let me down but I have heard mixed feelings on Sony.

Canon and JVC - forget it.

Much appreciated.

I would avoid buying one in country as they tend to be cheap quality bootlegs made in a 3rd world country. If at all possible buy one in the USA or a 1st world nation to be sure. I bought a digi cam here that I found out too late that it was a cheap piece of garbage even though it was the same brand of one I bought in the US (this junk was made in Indonesia as opposed to Japan). I was royally pissed after and made my vow then: never ever buy a big ticket electronics item in Thailand. That was over 2 years ago and I have held true to my vow. That digicam you could feel how light and flimsy cheap it was and the pics were grainy as all hel_l. Never again

^ Though I agree this does happen in Thailand - in 6 years I have not heard enough similar stories to justify a flight to UK or US, or even Singapore or HK where they would be genuine.

Just to be sure, is there some way of checking other than asking the shop for a demo?

The shop I saw it in was one of a few Sony stores in Phantip Plaza - a place that generally has a good rep. I need to get this camera in the next week to shoot a friends wedding so don't have a lot of time.

My concern with Sony is that they are mass produced in many countries - that said, what isn't? I could buy Panasonic again and get unlucky.

What happened to you is unfortunate but I don't think it's very common - I'm sure Sony would do something about it as it would be bad for their business and Phantip supply a lot of Sony stuff.

They did offer a 1 year guarantee so I guess if I did get unlucky I could take it to a bona fide Sony Centre in somewhere like Siam Paragon and they would confirm it's authenticity.

Personally I'd go Panasonic but I haven't found the HD/DV model I require.

MBK is the one place I was advised to avoid - it's moastly for tourists and wealthy Thais.

Saw one pro camera in the store you are talking about and it was on special offer at 169,999 THB.

Where is Fortune City? ...AND - will it be better than Phantip?

MBK is the one place I was advised to avoid - it's moastly for tourists and wealthy Thais.

Saw one pro camera in the store you are talking about and it was on special offer at 169,999 THB.

Where is Fortune City? ...AND - will it be better than Phantip?

Fortune Town: Rama IX tube station. Prices about the same as Pantip, but it's a much more pleasant experience shopping at Fortune Town.