Going South By Car From The Airport

AoNuDa

Is this the place to ask? I would like to know the best way from Suvarnbhumi to route 35 (going south to Samut Sakhon). Has route 9 (expressway?) been completed? (my map says “proposed road”). I will travel at about 08h00 (not the best of times) and want to get on to route 35 as fast as possible. Thanks for your suggestions, David.

PS. What is the best place on the web to get TH maps, especially good road maps of BKK and surrounding?

Route 9 - Yes, it's been completed and it's not congested, even in the morning. Follow that road and get on to the expressway and then watch for the signs, you need to go to Dao Khanong. You'll hit a snag over central Bangkok but it will be clear afterwards. Once you cross the river, exit to Rama 2 - that's you Route 35 as it's marked on maps.

Alternatively you can go south from the airport and get on expressway at Bangna but traffic on that leg of expressway is horrendous.

Expressways make a loop around central Bangkok, btw, and the directions and signs could be confusing. If you decide to take "Route 9" you'll have to go straight until you see signs for Rama 4 and Sukhumwit - that's turning south point, after that Dao Khanong signs that will take you across the river are everywhere.

Route 9 - Yes, it's been completed and it's not congested, even in the morning. Follow that road and get on to the expressway and then watch for the signs, you need to go to Dao Khanong. You'll hit a snag over central Bangkok but it will be clear afterwards. Once you cross the river, exit to Rama 2 - that's you Route 35 as it's marked on maps.o Khanong signs that will take you across the river are everywhere.

You sure you don't have Route 7 or some other highway confused with Route 9? Route 9 is the outer ring road and as such, goes nowhere near central Bangkok. To the best of my knowledge, the Route 9 bridge over the Chao Phraya River has not been built (this bridge will cross the river south of Bang Na).

You sure you don't have Route 7 or some other highway confused with Route 9? Route 9 is the outer ring road and as such, goes nowhere near central Bangkok. To the best of my knowledge, the Route 9 bridge over the Chao Phraya River has not been built (this bridge will cross the river south of Bang Na).

Hm... here is what my map shows (sorry about the graphics :o ): Rd 9 ending at rd 34, near Wat Sluut (Bang Phli). Continuing south as "proposed road", hitting and crossing road 3268, then turning R to go wset, crossing rd 3344, passing Chularat 2 Hospital on the R, then crossing rd 3, continuing to Phra Pradaeng, bendings slightly south-west, crossing Chao Phraya, hitting rd 303 to join up with existing rd 9, crossing Rat Burana westwards.

So, is that road working? (It would be great to know soon. I leave in a day's time.)

Hm... here is what my map shows (sorry about the graphics :o ): Rd 9 ending at rd 34, near Wat Sluut (Bang Phli). Continuing south as "proposed road", hitting and crossing road 3268, then turning R to go wset, crossing rd 3344, passing Chularat 2 Hospital on the R, then crossing rd 3, continuing to Phra Pradaeng, bendings slightly south-west, crossing Chao Phraya, hitting rd 303 to join up with existing rd 9, crossing Rat Burana westwards.

So, is that road working? (It would be great to know soon. I leave in a day's time.)

No, construction of bridge has not even started.

I'm afraid best way is through Bangkok.

cheers

onzestan

This was taken from my Garmin GPS. Don't know if it will help or not;

1. SuvarnabhumiAir 0 m

2. Get on (Flyover) and drive west 51 m

3. Take left ramp onto Motorway 4.5 km

4. Keep left onto 2nd Exp. ramp 30.3 km

5. Keep right onto Rama 9 Bridge ramp 39.8 km

6. Keep right onto Rama 9 Bridge ramp 40.2 km 4

7. Keep right onto Rama 2 Rd. ramp 46.7 km

8. Exit left onto ramp onto 35 Frontage Rd. 72.8 km

9. Keep left onto Setthakit 1 Rd. 73.6 km

10. Turn right onto Sorasak Bridge 74.8 km 1

11. Turn left onto Road 74.8 km

12. MueangSamutSakh 74.9 km

hmm .. few days past .. Would be nice to hear if AoNuDa actually tried the route # 9 ?!? .. Actually i just srrived this evening from Sakeo, and was watching very carefuly for southbound exit, wich is almost done .. sign covered & exit blocked .. well.. guess still no good news :o

Yes shame I didn't see this post earlier, anyway just to correct an earlier post, the route 9 bridge over the Chao Phraya River is complete, saw it yesterday, however the roads to link it to the rest of highway 9 are not, although they look very close to finishing. Can't wait will cut some time on my trips to the airport.

Hi Percy2,

I don't want to be snobbish but that's the southern bridge of the industrial ring road, NOT the bridge from the Outer Ring Road.

Cheers

onzestan

So which bridge has construction not started on?

I think the industrial ring toad is another name for the Outer ring road. AFAIK BKK doesn't have 2 ring roads.

Cheers

Edit add word Outer

Edited by percy2

:o The southern ring road bridge is complete and so is the mega bridge, according to the BKK thai papers the road is also complete and subject to final checking should be open this week without tolls. Check on 2bangkok.com for more info.

The photo shown is the southern bridge, it does look similar to the mega bridge but only has two towers.

Hi Percy2,

I don't want to be snobbish but that's the southern bridge of the industrial ring road, NOT the bridge from the Outer Ring Road.

Cheers

onzestan

So which bridge has construction not started on?

I think the industrial ring toad is another name for the Outer ring road. AFAIK BKK doesn't have 2 ring roads.

Cheers

Edit add word Outer

I beg to differ. the article in Wikipedia clearly states the bridge is part of the industrial ring road, connecting the 2 industrial centers of Southern Bangkok and Samut Prakan. This road is 13 km long. The outer ring road is quite a bit longer than that.

cheers

onzestan

I beg to differ.

onzestan

O,

I have just spent 30 minutes or so trying to figure out if there was a road and bridge I've missed.

Its not very clear at all.

If any body has a nice clear map of what the mass transit projects are going to look like when finished it would be great. In English would be a bonus.

As I understand it the Industrial Ring Road is the South Western portion of the whole Outer Ring Road.

As shown on the photo's of maps on this page. Though by no means clearly. http://angkor.com/2bangkok/2bangkok/Bridge...wongwein4.shtml

Cheers

I beg to differ.

onzestan

O,

I have just spent 30 minutes or so trying to figure out if there was a road and bridge I've missed.

Its not very clear at all.

If any body has a nice clear map of what the mass transit projects are going to look like when finished it would be great. In English would be a bonus.

As I understand it the Industrial Ring Road is the South Western portion of the whole Outer Ring Road.

As shown on the photo's of maps on this page. Though by no means clearly. http://angkor.com/2bangkok/2bangkok/Bridge...wongwein4.shtml

Cheers

Exactly my problem too. Didn't find any good info either, although I'm convinced (contrary to you) the Industrial ring is separate from the outer ring road as originally planned. Maybe they have changed their plans to not having to build another bridge. Anyway it is my understanding that the connecting roads are not finished on some parts of the trajectory.

If you find anything please post.

Cheers

onzestan

Didn't find any good info either, although I'm convinced (contrary to you) the Industrial ring is separate from the outer ring road as originally planned.

Correct. The industrial ring road (not numbered) is not the same road as the Outer Ring Road (aka Kanchanaphisek Road or Highway 9).

I have a bus guide map which shows the route of the ring road and the proposed connection to the industrial ring road which is part of the mega bridge scheme. The web site below should enlighten all the doubting thomases. The ring road will become a toll road later this year but will still provide the best way to the airport from the south and west.

www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=457748

• 4 weeks later...

Route 9 , the outer ring road should be open for all users am 15/11 as long as you do not weigh more than 21 tonnes. Apparently in the thai papers 9/11 and posted on 2 bangkok.

• 1 month later...