Another Sillybilly Question...

sillybilly

Im staying in Thailand for about 40 days. What I ned to know is this.... after reading that I can only stay a maximum of 30 days. Is it just a simple case of going to the Mae Sai border and leave Thailand into Burma paying the 500 Baht entry fee. Look around the markets on the other side and then coming back across. Does it matter if I only stay on the Burma side for maybe 1 -2 hours?? or do I need to stay longer?? Please help a SillyBilly.

Im staying in Thailand for about 40 days. What I ned to know is this.... after reading that I can only stay a maximum of 30 days. Is it just a simple case of going to the Mae Sai border and leave Thailand into Burma paying the 500 Baht entry fee. Look around the markets on the other side and then coming back across. Does it matter if I only stay on the Burma side for maybe 1 -2 hours?? or do I need to stay longer?? Please help a SillyBilly.

You can cross the border at Mae Sai and either go to the markets or simply do a turn around middway and come back. Where you hand over your passport on the bridge to the Burmese immigration they will generally ask if you want to do a crossing or just head back straight away.

CB

When you walk across to the bridge to the Myanmar immigration you can get your passport stamped with a payment of 10 USD or 500 Baht, then you have a choice of walking to back to Thailand or going on into the town of Tachilek to do a little shopping.

If you choose the latter option you will be issued with a temporary travel document which allows you to do this, but your passport must be left at immigration. It is returned when you come back heavily laden with pirate CDs, DVDs and cheap booze. Don't leave it too late as the border closes at 6pm and I hate to think about the resulting complications if you arrive to find immigration closed.

If you wish to stay for more than the day trip then a visa is required.

Edited by sceadugenga

A further note- when you walk into the tiny Burmese Immigration office at the end of the bridge, and you hand over your passport, you will be asked a question: "Shopping?".

This is a sort of code. IF you want to return to Thailand immediately, you reply "No shopping". You then stand there, hand over your $10 USD/500 B, and wait while they process you. In 5 minutes, you are walking back across the bridge....

A further note- when you walk into the tiny Burmese Immigration office at the end of the bridge, and you hand over your passport, you will be asked a question: "Shopping?".

This is a sort of code. IF you want to return to Thailand immediately, you reply "No shopping". You then stand there, hand over your $10 USD/500 B, and wait while they process you. In 5 minutes, you are walking back across the bridge....

Good advice & Thank You mcgriffith & sceadugenga

:o Wiley Coyote

sorry if I`m wrong but I think it 5pm not 6pm??

Last year I was with a thai friend andd we tried to cross the border from Mae Sai to Burma at about 5.30pm and although my thai friend was allowed to still go across I was told as a farang that the gate was closed at 5pm. Is it 5pm for farang and 6pm for Thai People or were they just trying to make some pocket money?? Although at the time it was annoying, looking at it now it is just one of my funny memorys from this wonderful place...

Many thanks for everybodys replies. :o

Last year I was with a thai friend andd we tried to cross the border from Mae Sai to Burma at about 5.30pm and although my thai friend was allowed to still go across I was told as a farang that the gate was closed at 5pm. Is it 5pm for farang and 6pm for Thai People or were they just trying to make some pocket money?? Although at the time it was annoying, looking at it now it is just one of my funny memorys from this wonderful place...

That makes sense because the amount of paperwork required for a Thai is much less than a farung. We have to fill in an arrival form, the Immigration Police then have to check it in the computer and process the paperwork. They also have to deal with farung in English which is more difficult for them. The Thais simply photocopy their ID card, and fill in a single sheet form. On the way back they hand over the sheet of paper and are through in seconds. I once got stuck behind a beligerent man who refused to show the Immigration Officer his 10,000baht that was required as proof of funds. I was standing in line behind this guy for nearly two hours because he wouldn't step out of line or let anyone past ahead of him. He took up all three officials at the Immigration and they finally got him out of the way at five thirty. The line behind me must have had at least fifty people waiting and not very patiently. The concern was what would happen when the gates closed and immigration closed.

I heard a story from some years back that a guy was stuck on the bridge between the two - he got through the Myammar immigration just as the gates were closing but the Thai officers refused to process his form. He tried to get back to Myammar but didn't have a visa - the day pass is only for that day during the daylight hours. He had to sleep on the bridge until the gates opened the next morning. Not sure if the story is true but it would make a good warning.

CB

I once got stuck behind a beligerent man who refused to show the Immigration Officer his 10,000baht that was required as proof of funds.

I seldom have 10,000B when I come back to Mae Sai from Burma. Last year they seemed to ask most Farangs to show their money but never counted it. I once followed a gentleman through who, by his clothes, demeanor and body odour, indicated that his main interest in Thailand was the cheap booze. (It takes one to know one).

He flashed a roll that I doubt was much more than a thousand in twenties and hundreds and was waved through with tolerant smiles.

Edited by sceadugenga

I once got stuck behind a beligerent man who refused to show the Immigration Officer his 10,000baht that was required as proof of funds.

I seldom have 10,000B when I come back to Mae Sai from Burma. Last year they seemed to ask most Farangs to show their money but never counted it. I once followed a gentleman through who, by his clothes, demeanor and body odour, indicated that his main interest in Thailand was the cheap booze. (It takes one to know one).

He flashed a roll that I doubt was much more than a thousand in twenties and hundreds and was waved through with tolerant smiles.

I used to hate having to have that sort of cash on me because 1) every thief in town knew that we were all carrying around that sort of cash and 2) I ended up spending it because I had the money in my pocket.

It has been a while since I had to do the Mai Sai visa run so I am not sure what the current procedure is up there re funds.

CB

I used to hate having to have that sort of cash on me because 1) every thief in town knew that we were all carrying around that sort of cash and 2) I ended up spending it because I had the money in my pocket.

It has been a while since I had to do the Mai Sai visa run so I am not sure what the current procedure is up there re funds.

CB

Haven't been asked to "flash the cash" for a long time. Nor have I seen any one else asked.

Mae Sai closes at 6pm.

The time in Tachileik is half an hour behind Thailand.

• 2 weeks later...

CB

Also did the "visa run " a couple of times last year niether I nor other farang where asked to show money,luck of the draw.

On a interperative point C.B. if you have funds that are equal to $10000 baht in travellers cheques if this is ok you wouldnt have to carry losable/spendable cash!

On a interperative point C.B. if you have funds that are equal to $10000 baht in travellers cheques if this is ok you wouldnt have to carry losable/spendable cash!

When I was in the situation of needing to do monthly visa runs to the border the funds had to be in cash. They did not allow foreign currency, travellers cheques, letters of credit, or bank statements. From the posts above of people who are still doing visa runs it appears that having the cash on hand is no longer something they checked. That does not mean it is no longer a requirement just that it is something they are not asking/demanding.

Hope this clarifies

CB

The sign requiring people to show cash is still in place and its at the discretion of the immigration officer

if you have to show it or not. Better to be prepared, just in case they demand it.

I agree that being prepared for the worst case scenario is always a good idea in Thailand.

Last time I went to Mae Sai (two months ago )I was given a pass valid for two week.

Its like a mini passport, with photo and personal details

g

Sounds like the day pass you get Doc.

Did they keep your real passport for two weeks?

Stayed one night.

No worries

g

When I went over the border two weeks ago I asked the Burmese officer how long could I stay. The answer was two weeks to travel in the country. So it seems one can stay as long as the time it takes to cross and re-cross the bridge, or 2 weeks.

When I went over the border two weeks ago I asked the Burmese officer how long could I stay. The answer was two weeks to travel in the country. So it seems one can stay as long as the time it takes to cross and re-cross the bridge, or 2 weeks.

Right.... Is there any limitations on where you can go?

I've never asked but I was always under the impression it was a different visa.