Motorbikes

neverburi

I don't know all the details, but one day walking

on Sukhumvit I passed a shop that had motorbikes

for sale and the prices I recall were 40-60KBaht.

Maybe the bigger more powerful bikes are more,

but these looked okay for around town use.

Scooters start at around 23K baht for the basic stepthroughs, going up to around 55K for the Honda Sonics and Suzuki raiders etc.

You need non imm visa to register it in your name, if you put it in a thai gf's name or friends, consider it a write off in the future if you leave. Sure you might get to keep it, but dont count on it if things go sour.

I know you can rent a motorbike from 150 baht per day,anyone

know how much to purchase new those 100cc wave bikes

step through autos.

NB :o

Neverburi, have you tried asking the prices at a m/c shop? There's always one nearby wherever you are in Thailand.

Might be worth asking at several shops though, just in case one shop adds on a few extra thousand baht simply cos you're a falang. Nah! they wouldn't do that would they? :D

You'd also need a letter of residence from your embassy as well as a non-imm visa. If your a Brit it will be about 1,000baht for 2 copies of the letter. Always ask for 3 or 4 at no extra cost as you'll also need a letter for applying for a license or when selling the bike too (I think).

Gazza

Scooters start at around 23K baht for the basic stepthroughs, going up to around 55K for the Honda Sonics and Suzuki raiders etc.

You need non imm visa to register it in your name, if you put it in a thai gf's name or friends, consider it a write off in the future if you leave. Sure you might get to keep it, but dont count on it if things go sour.

You can register ownership with a 30 day arrival stamp now. I put my pick up in my name and thats all i had.

This has been debated on many of the bike webboards for the last 18 months, some people have apparently had no problems with tourist visas, and others have been turned away. I would not want to give this advice until I knew the officials were going to process it without trouble.

It used to be that way, then the law changed, but you still need non imm to get the license to drive it.

But as i found out, you dont need a non imm to renew license once you have it, but they will only give a one years renewal not the 5 years that you would get if you had a non imm.

That's how it worked out for me anyway in Pattaya.

I still have a motorcycle in an ex gf's name. :o