Greedy Landlord At P&p Modern (ari Samphan 5)

I have stayed in a number of apartments in Bangkok. Thus far, all the landlord are great except P&P Modern @Ari Samphan 5.

When I came to view the room, I was given a false impression that everything is perfect. We were told that we could move in 1 or 2 days earlier. We thought it was very nice of landlord.

1st Surprise - We received a bill for 1 day rental of THB 200 for moving in earlier.

2nd Surprise - We were locked out as we left our key in the room. We called the landlord and were slapped another THB 100 for door opening.

3rd Surprise - After 5 months of stay, we decided not to renew the contract. We were informed about THB 500 cleaning fee.

4th Surprise - As for the last month, we were late by 1 day to pay the rental. We were fined THB 100.

Frankly, we are shocked with the way landlord treated the tenants. Since we are treated this way, why aren't we refunded when Internet is down?

It is no longer a surprise that we get early Morning Call to move your car even though you have paid a Monthly Parking Fee.

Fellow expat.......you may stay in this place at your own risk.

Nevertheless, there are still a lot of nice landlord out there. Just not this one.

All these charges should have been disclosed in the contract - which you probably signed and was entirely in Thai !

After providing a deposit and asking for a copy of the contract, I got it verbally traslated and the late fees, cleaning fees, water and elec charges and other aspects (minimun stay, giving notice etc) were all specified. The place I stayed at also had a fee for setting up the finger print recognition. It also had a fiddling girl in charge - but spealing to the big manager and to other occupants soon revealed the real charges...

All these charges should have been disclosed in the contract - which you probably signed and was entirely in Thai !

After providing a deposit and asking for a copy of the contract, I got it verbally traslated and the late fees, cleaning fees, water and elec charges and other aspects (minimun stay, giving notice etc) were all specified. The place I stayed at also had a fee for setting up the finger print recognition. It also had a fiddling girl in charge - but spealing to the big manager and to other occupants soon revealed the real charges...

You are partly correct. All contract is in Thai. But, all statement require you to pay is in English.

If I am not wrong, the THB 500 cleaning fee is not part of the contract. It came in as moving out notice. Door Opening Fee of THB 100 is introduced later. I really wonder if there is a clause somewhere in the contract that Landlord can introduce any addition fee as they see fit.

They are still holding the deposit. Do I have choice? Is there a Small Claim Tribunal?

2nd Surprise - We were locked out as we left our key in the room. We called the landlord and were slapped another THB 100 for door opening.

take a wild guess how much that would have cost you in any country of continental €urope! :o

Why always the comparison with Europe or other western countries. Compare it to Laos!

Even better, stop comparing.

Even without comparing it to any other country 100 baht seems very cheap for someone to have to get up, travel to your apartment and open the door for you and then get home just because you left the keys inside.

All the charges that you mentioned are justified. The cleaning bill of 500THB is quite common, especially in lower end places. A friend of mine stayed in a lower end place for a while, and they charged him 1000THB for repainting it after he moved out. And guess what. They did actually repaint it!

Surprise 1. Well, you stayed there right? Why didnt you want to pay to stay there?

Surprise 2. At 100THb, im sure he didnt make a fat profit, but i bet he did make sure that you didnt forget your keys again!

Surprise 3. Above

Surprise 4. Normally, late rent payment is 2% of the rental amount.

Its 900THB! i really am missing your point here with the gripes.

If that's the worst that has happened to you and the first time anything like that has happened to you here, you've led a charmed life in LOS. All fair and reasonable stuff and quite sensible on the part of the landlord I say.

Well! Thanks for all the feedback. I got a local guy to check the contract. All the fee were not listed in the contract. Can a landlord introduce new fees as it is convenient to them?

I owned apartments in my home country. All fees must be stated in the contract to be considered legal. I can't simply issue a notice for a new fee. Perhaps, law does not apply in this country.

This is not really a low end place. Maybe it is considered low end to you for monthly expenses of THB 10,000.

I wonder what is considered as common. Common in Thailand? I have stayed in similar service apartment with about same range. There isn't such nonsense.

Well! Perhaps I should be considered lucky not to have experienced such nonsense in my first two years.

Anyway, I really hope other foreigner will not have similar experience in the future.

Can a landlord introduce new fees as it is convenient to them?

Yes.

I owned apartments in my home country. Perhaps, law does not apply in this country.

You got it in one!

This is not really a low end place. Maybe it is considered low end to you for monthly expenses of THB 10,000.

I wonder what is considered as common.

Everyone has a different view.

Well! Perhaps I should be considered lucky not to have experienced such nonsense in my first two years.

You got that in one also!

Yes.

I owned apartments in my home country. Perhaps, law does not apply in this country.

You got it in one!

Hi! Chiang Mai, Are you a Landlord? Or best still....are you my landlord?

Yes.

You got it in one!

Very possibly I'm your landlord! Is your landlord tall, Caucasian and exceedingly handsome and does he make the best meat pies in Phuket? If so that's me and in which case I've just decided that you, as my tenant, owe me 25,000 baht to cover a new charge I have just levied, the description of which I will decide upon shortly. :o

Edited by chiang mai

Very possibly I'm your landlord! Is your landlord tall, Caucasian and exceedingly handsome and does he make the best meat pies in Phuket? If so that's me and in which case I've just decided that you, as my tenant, owe me 25,000 baht to cover a new charge I have just levied, the description of which I will decide upon shortly. :o

Extremely close except he is a Thai, maybe once handsome and never tasted his cooking before. Maybe he can make good Tom Yum.

Just in case that you are actually my landlord....please be informed that I will move out at 23:59 on the last day of my lease.

If you would like to keep my deposit for your cash flow, I am willing to loan it to you with daily interest of 10%. Perhaps you may want to consider AEON, they can provide more generous repayment scheme.

Perhaps, I can move out all the furniture and fittings as collateral until you return the deposits.

Anyone interested in 2 hp Aircon?