Villa Market

Jingthing

Here is the place to share your personal joy about what Villa market brings us ... for a price.

Fresh Jalapeno Peppers

!!!!!

I thought I was through with these beauties as long as I live in Thailand. Yes, there are Thai peppers and they are great, but sometimes you really need fresh jalapeno peppers, not the bottled ones which were already available around town.

I use the jalapenos for Mexican food but also for Italian food. It really peps up a pasta sauce. Saute chopped jalapeno peppers along with chopped red bell pepper, sliced onions and fresh garlic, then add your tomato sauce and you will see. I remember in the US many Thai restaurants use jalapenos in some Thai dishes, and although not authentic, it really adds something. Also great in omeletes and I am sure many other uses.

Thank you Villa Market!

Still looking for MATZOHS though.

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Doesnt Villa Market guarantee that whatever they dont have you tell them and they will get it for you???

Wonder how that works though? You just walk up to a cashier and let them know what it is your looking for?

Anyone has an idea on how this works.

Looking for a place that would sell "Dutch Frikadellen" or curryworsten for the Belgians under us.

Doesnt Villa Market guarantee that whatever they dont have you tell them and they will get it for you???

Wonder how that works though? You just walk up to a cashier and let them know what it is your looking for?

Anyone has an idea on how this works.

Looking for a place that would sell "Dutch Frikadellen" or curryworsten for the Belgians under us.

Hoi! What is this Dutch Frikadellen? You've got me all curious now. =p

I'm totally grateful to Villa for satisfying my addiction to Gouda Cheese Old without fail and at a reasonable price too. Go Villa! :o

Villa Mkt at Suk 33, Emporium branch also sells Huge Purple Passion Fruit seemingly year round (Dao Kanong sp? brand), yet whenever I ask at Emporium Grocery store - they are "out of season!"

Also creme caramels by "Sarah" - great price (but better to check you buy them on the delivery day or just after).

Kudos for their nutty, granary bread (Wholeseed Bread) for 60bt! A bargain and so delicious!

Villa Mkt at Suk 33, Emporium branch also sells Huge Purple Passion Fruit seemingly year round (Dao Kanong sp? brand), yet whenever I ask at Emporium Grocery store - they are "out of season!"

Also creme caramels by "Sarah" - great price (but better to check you buy them on the delivery day or just after).

Kudos for their nutty, granary bread (Wholeseed Bread) for 60bt! A bargain and so delicious!

I love their range of fresh ham and meat. And cheese!!! Their Colummier is so tasty and fresh and resonably priced. Carrefour's meat and cheese is nothing as compared to theirs!

I'm going to be their regular customer!

Here is the place to share your personal joy about what Villa market brings us ... for a price.

Fresh Jalapeno Peppers

!!!!!

I thought I was through with these beauties as long as I live in Thailand. Yes, there are Thai peppers and they are great, but sometimes you really need fresh jalapeno peppers, not the bottled ones which were already available around town.

I use the jalapenos for Mexican food but also for Italian food. It really peps up a pasta sauce. Saute chopped jalapeno peppers along with chopped red bell pepper, sliced onions and fresh garlic, then add your tomato sauce and you will see. I remember in the US many Thai restaurants use jalapenos in some Thai dishes, and although not authentic, it really adds something. Also great in omeletes and I am sure many other uses.

Thank you Villa Market!

About one of the only reasons I have been shopping at Villa for years. :o

Fresh Jalapeno Peppers

!!!!!

Thank you Villa Market!

:o I never expected to see them in this part of the world either and was delighted to discover them on the shelves.

With things like these and all their perks and novelties, Villa will get a lot of repeat customers. They are great in Bangkok, wonderful to have them in Pattaya too.

A can of "old-fashioned" Heinz baked beans for 155 baht was a bit steep. Who would pay AUD $5.35 for a can of beans which costs less than a dollar back in Oz?

Be careful buying Continental Breads as they have no "baked on/good until" dates.

The guy working in the bread section straight out lied to me about when it was baked (he said "today") and I ended up with a dry loaf of bread for 65 baht...very annoying...never again.

I had a 'chicken with cashews' meal (88 baht) at the 24 hour counter restaurant. I have never been served such a small dish in Thailand...it wouldn't have fed a bird.

I was also surprised to see them heat up the rice in a microwave oven. I use them at home on occasion, but dislike restaurants "nuking" my food.

Edited by tropo

We ate at the 24 hour counter and were seriously disappointed. My Orange juice seemed watered down, could have been iced in the pitcher and diluted by melt water. I had the worst Pad Thai I have ever had, no flavor, lots of oil, soggy small shrimp. My wife had the chicken with cashews also. She asked for it Phet and got a sorry sludge of tasteless crap. The only good things about our meals were the tiny portions.

Now the Villa market is a different story. We got many things we have been missing and were happy to buy. I tried to put one too many items inour overflowing cart and droped some greek yogurt with a sloppy slap. They cleaned it up instantly, got me a replacement, and assured me there would be no charge for my goof. There delivery was very prompt. We will be back, but not at the diner.

kdf

No 'manufactured on' or 'use by' date on the bread :o

And what's with the Bt 750 a kg for fresh salmon ... guess I'll continue to buy mine at Big C.

Naka.

Just to clarify, there was no 'manufactured on' or 'use by' date on the "Continental Bakery" bread. That's on the left side when you walk in. All the other breads that I saw had dates.

And what's with the Bt 750 a kg for fresh salmon ... guess I'll continue to buy mine at Big C.

Naka.

There are all different kinds of salmon from different countries and some taste much better than others. I would rather pay for better quality Alaska salmon with omega 3 oils instead of paying a low price for tasteless, locally farmed cr*p.

Naka.

There are all different kinds of salmon from different countries and some taste much better than others. I would rather pay for better quality Alaska salmon with omega 3 oils instead of paying a low price for tasteless, locally farmed cr*p.

I'd be cautious about buying expensive salmon at Villa until they increase their turnover. They'll be throwing away an enourmous quantity of expensive imported food in the first couple of months.

Has anyone noticed they have at least 10 different varieties of imported tomatoes ranging in price from 450 to 1750 per kilo. I can't see too many people rushing to buy them.

Naka.

Who ? Where ? produces locally farmed salmon pray tell !

Naka.

I was pleasantly suprised to find 'De Ruijter' milk chocolate. (sort of chocolate bread spread frm Holland).

Only to find it was totally melted in the pack (so un-usable), and also had a strange smell to it.

Ready for the trash bin :o

On a sidenote, they have the 'buy 2 get 1 free' for many wines.

Jomtien

Naka.

I'd be cautious about buying expensive salmon at Villa until they increase their turnover. They'll be throwing away an enourmous quantity of expensive imported food in the first couple of months.

Has anyone noticed they have at least 10 different varieties of imported tomatoes ranging in price from 450 to 1750 per kilo. I can't see too many people rushing to buy them.

I agree that the foods at Villa deserve scrutiny for freshness during this startup time and probably good idea to always be vigilante about one's food. I have given up on fresh food at Carrefour.

We bought 2 varieties of those tomatoes and were treated to a fine taste and texture not equaled in our tomato buying history in Pattaya.

We care about what we eat and while cost is important, so is the joy in eating tasty stuff you really like. Until these I have not found a tomato worthy of my fresh tomato pasta sauce. Unlike my wife's totally excellent marinara, the fresh tomato sauce requires the best taste and texture available as there are not many other ingredients.

I do not like paying exorbitant prices, but I also do not judge my food solely on a kilo per baht basis. I have actually had friends tell me about a restaurant, its not real good but the prices are so cheap I eat there alot.

kdf

I do not like paying exorbitant prices, but I also do not judge my food solely on a kilo per baht basis.

I'm a tomato lover myself, but for me there aren't tomatoes in existence worth US $13.23 per kilo...the low price for Villa's exoitc varieties. Even back at home (Australia) I stop buying out-of-season fruit and veges when they get to a certain price. I most I ever paid for tomatoes during a shortage time was about US $5.00 per kilo and that was about as high I was prepared to go. Any higher than that and it was tomato-deprivation time for me.

Villa's top priced totatoes are going for over US $50.00 per kilo.

There is a price where taste must take second place to price....and especially with fresh produce which isn't really even fresh. For example if you buy the tomatoes today, they've been in the supermarket for about 2 weeks after being transported from Europe.

If you have the money to pay US $13 to $50 per kilo for tomatoes, then good for you...you're fortunate.

Let's see how many of those very expensive varieties are still there in a few months from now.

These tomato prices are somewhat reminiscent of the 9,999 baht per kilo Japanese strip loin beef I saw on sale at Foodland late last year...Frozen! It didn't last long. I still wonder if they sold any of it before it went over the useby dates.

Edited by tropo

I also don't see why they even bother stocking the more absurdly priced items. One theory is that almost nobody buys that stuff, but it makes the stuff that does move look like a good deal. The smart way to shop there is for the things you can't get anywhere else that are also priced OK. I have noticed their prices on Thai sourced basic produce is much higher than the competition. Smart shoppers here have to visit multiple places.

Here's a good one:

Over the last few weeks I have always bought ONE corn on the cob whenever I shop there. It's way overpriced at 15 baht each, but it's convenient so I usually grab ONE.

This morning I went over to the lady cooking the corn and asked for ONE, and she told me she can't sell me must one and I had to buy a pack of 2 for 30 baht.

I didn't buy any because I didn't want 2 and it's already overpriced anyway.

How's that for intelligent marketing? They woke up this morning thinking they could double their profits this way.

First time in today. Only went for the sole purpose of making my own Cheese and Onion sarnies !

Real mature cheddar.............spanish onions..............crusty bread and " I can,t believe its not butter "

Fantastic! ! Also tried a couple of those " Western " Cornish Pasties. Superb !!

Went in yesterday for the first (and probably last) time

Ridiculous pricing - one small jar of Roses Lime Marmalade, one very small jar of bovril and 25 camomile tea bags - 647 baht (nearly ten quid). E-mailed my daughter in UK, she went into her local shop and priced this at under three pounds.

I like these things, but I can well do without them at these extortionate prices.

I will in future stick to fair value shops, such as Friendship.

Yes, but there are some things that are only found at Villa. I think not all of their prices are that horrible. I do think they would be smart to price their local basic stuff at the same level as the local competition as this would encourage more people to use them as their primary market.

Edited by Jingthing