Internet On Koh Chang

Nikkijah

I'm trying to set up internet on Koh Chang but am finding it difficult to do :o

I'm looking to rent in a bungalow near White Sands but all the phone numbers are taken up!!??

I've been to the TOT office to ask about a new number but there is a 2 month waiting list...

Is there any other way I can get internet? I've thought about using my mobile phone but isn't that a bit slow?

Any help, as always, would be appreciated

Nikkijah :D

ToT or other provider  with IPstar Sat. connection. 256kdown 128kup 1500baht a month up 1024Kdown and 512Kup I think that will go up to 2800Baht month.  Just ask at ToT office install norm about 3500 min 1year.  My 256/128 has worked fine.  No problem and we don't have phone lines around my place at all.  Seems the wired connections are nothing but trouble anyway.

Check out all the post about adsl, and look at most any phone pole and see the mess its connected to.  Your prob lucky they don't have numbers or maybe they just don't want another problem connection. :o

First you need to specify which numbers are all taken, is that island wide or just your Soi. I live in one of the older Chinese neighborhoods of Bangkok and after some digging I found that "all the numbers are taken up" means that no more numbers on the relay box at the being of my Soi/street.

I ask what then they say yes you need to wait 2 months or maybe more quickly if more people (5) request additional telephone lines. So now I have 5 telephone lines, direct number to all rooms in the house.

First you need to specify which numbers are all taken, is that island wide or just your Soi. I live in one of the older Chinese neighborhoods of Bangkok and after some digging I found that "all the numbers are taken up" means that no more numbers on the relay box at the being of my Soi/street.

I ask what then they say yes you need to wait 2 months or maybe more quickly if more people (5) request additional telephone lines. So now I have 5 telephone lines, direct number to all rooms in the house.

So if I want a quick line I might be wise(ish) to request several phone lines??

You can go to TOT and ask for adsl only!

We ordered 2 lines a couple of months ago, with just an adsl signal, so no voice.

The lines were installed the next day. Instead of logging in (on the PPP session) with the phone number, you login with the supplied line description (e.g. zy874392).

This way you won't have to wait for available ports on the PBX, a free port at the DSLAM is enough.

You can go to TOT and ask for adsl only!

We ordered 2 lines a couple of months ago, with just an adsl signal, so no voice.

The lines were installed the next day. Instead of logging in (on the PPP session) with the phone number, you login with the supplied line description (e.g. zy874392).

This way you won't have to wait for available ports on the PBX, a free port at the DSLAM is enough.

Thanks Prasert, I'll confront the staff in the Koh Chang office with this on Monday, their English seems very limited, my Thai is fairly limited so we should have some fun trying to understand each other :o