Concrete Or Tiles

jumbo

Gents

Actually I prefer the concrete over tiles, ut which one is the easiest to maintain??

Tiles can get loose, but paint can loosen too

Pleas share your thoughts, ideas or advises

forget about concrete as for years to come your pool water would have a skyhigh pH. tiles in Thailand are dirt cheap (compared to other countries) and in three decades of having pools i never encountered a single loose tile.

Tiles are good, and can last 20 years but you have to maintain the mineral balance in your water or the grout weakens and they come loose. One or two loose tiles isn't a big problem, but a lot of them is a major headache. Make sure you have enough spares put away in order to have matches for the ones that get damaged over the years.

Concrete is fine and if properly painted won't give you any pH problems. It needs to cure for at least 28 days before being painted with a proper epoxy swimming pool paint. After that it should cure for another 28 days before being filled (it can get rained on in this time, just don't fill the pool). When applied properly these epoxy paints can last up to 10 years. Repainting is a relatively simple process. For aesthetic reasons you'll still probably want to tile from the waterline up though.

Because the epoxy paint seals the concrete, you actually get less pH fluctuation than you do from the exposed grout of a tiled pool. Changing colour is a relatively inexpensive process with paint, but a costly one with tile.

So, each option has it's advantages and disadvantages.

Another option is to have a liner installed in the pool but I've seen these fail so many times I really don't recommend you even consider this route.

EDIT: Another big advantage to concrete is that if a crack ever does develop down the road, it's much simpler to deal with in a painted pool than a tile one.

Edited by cdnvic

Another finish to consider between painted concrete and tile is "sandstone" where a rather coarse sand is pressed into the (dyed earth color) surface of the plaster coat. It's very natural looking and has good traction but can be abrasive if scraped by skin - but I like it!

Now I see a P.V.C. membrane type in many new pools

Any experiences with this system ?

Repeated failures :o

If a problem develops under the liner, such as a crack in the concrete, it can play havoc with the liner. They can also get stained and there's little recourse to get rid of stains and scuff marks. Poor water balance can also ruin it quickly. Far more trouble than they're worth in my experience.

• 4 weeks later...
Now I see a P.V.C. membrane type in many new pools

Any experiences with this system ?

Hi i have a pvc pool three metres x six metres on the side of my house in Australia. Fantastic no problem but i have never seen one in Thailand.

Is it above the ground, are there other sizes., what is the price, do you have pictures or a link??