Laying Turf

Totster

• 2 weeks later...

Be careful about where the truf comes from.

Some is from ordinary fields and will be full of weeds,

causing you no end of problems in the future.

Good preparation of the soil beforehand

and watering afterwards are the other key points.

• 2 weeks later...

Most important is preparation of soil. Make sure all weeds are out, & that means all seeds in soil have germinated & removed. Best to leave bare soil for a while to ensure nothing left to sprout. Also use good topsoil, non of the cheapo land fill red clay.

After laying turf water well until roots have anchored in soil.

Good luck

Hi,

Soon gonna lay some turf with BiL helping, as I did it only once before (long time ago) I would appreciate some advice

thanks

Totster :D

l laid some about 5 months ago ,,, l used a mixture of burnt husks and sand (about 50/50) also a LITTLE nitrogen to promote leaf growth ,,,, the husk sand mixture was spread about an inch thick(maybe more ) over the red clay/buckshot stuff they have here ,,,,l kept the water up to it ,,,,, now l walk around with a bloody lawn mower attached to my arms all the time ,,,,

good luck andhave fun

cheers :o

Depends on which type of grass you are putting down? i used Malaysian grass in my garden, mainly because it grows outways and is much harder to kill :o . Remove all the weeds before you start laying the turf, then soak the soil ( i mean it will look like a mud bath ) lay the turf down and then use your toes to push the roots of the turf into the soil. I have done this twice and haven't had any problems with my grass, also soak the grass every day for at least 2 weeks and do it after the sun has gone down. Hope it helps

Edited by thaihedgehog

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I am looking for information on Yah Nippon grass (or one that grows well in the Sun. Also a good location to buy it.

The YAh Nippon imn my area sells for 88 baht a sq meter.

That's expensive. Yah [Y]ippun (Japanese grass) is 20-baht per sq metre in Chiang Mai.

• 1 year later...

I had some turf laid a few months ago and told my wife to make sure the gardener removes all the stones and weeds, put some nice compost and sand in with the sh**ty soil that we had to aid the drainage etc.

"Yes, no problem..don't worry, he knows what he's doing !!!" she told me :)

Gardner laid it on top of our sh**ty clay soil, still full of half bricks and weeds. Now the wife is finding out about weeding the difficult way.

Anyway, I digress....We got Malayisan Turf, very nice grass and hardwearing, doesn't grow too fast so the wife can see the long weed grass coming through the turf to aid her weed removal.

I guess the moral of the story is preparation prior to laying anything down.