Us Tourist Visa - Length Of Stay Vs Visa Expiry

Can anyone confirm that the expiration of the visa is different than the duration of stay? My girlfriend's visa expires on 31 December, but we were not planning on arriving in the United States until 15 December. I had planned on staying until 17 January, but will she be able to?

It's important that she does not overstay...does anyone have a 100% for sure answer to this question?

--matt

Can anyone confirm that the expiration of the visa is different than the duration of stay? My girlfriend's visa expires on 31 December, but we were not planning on arriving in the United States until 15 December. I had planned on staying until 17 January, but will she be able to?

the immigration officer's stamp will say "admitted till...". i think you have a good chance that your girlfriend can stay beyond the expiration of her visa.

See also Duration & Extension of Stay in the U.S -How the Visa Expiration Date is Different:

The Expiration Date for the visa should not be confused with the authorized length of your stay in the U.S., given to you by the U.S. immigration inspector at port-of-entry, on the Arrival-Departure Record, Form I-94, or I-94W for the Visa Waiver Program. The visa expiration date has nothing to do with the authorized length of your stay in the U.S. for any given visit.

It's important that she does not overstay...does anyone have a 100% for sure answer to this question?

--matt

Not a problem, just need to ENTER the U.S. prior to expiration of the visa.  They'll most likely stamp her in for six (6) months.

This was the case with my wife a couple years back.

Mac

--matt

A visa is issued that is valid til a certain date at which time it expires. Duration of stay is how long you can stay once you use to visa for entry. Legally she cannot stay past the date her visa expires.

I know many Thais who get 10 year multi entry visas for the US but each duration of stay is limited to 60 days.

Hope this helps.

uner US law a visa is issued by the US State Department (Embassy). thst visa is valid for entry into the US until the expiration date on the visa. upon entering the US the determination is made by Immigration officers (homeland security) on how long an individal may stay. in most case the length of stay is 6 months unless something seems "fishy" then the length is shortened as to what the immigration officer decides. The date they must leave by is stamped or written on an I-94 which is stapled in the passport. if a visitor wishes to stay longer than the amount of time stamped on the I-94 they must submit an I-539 before the expiration date and submit it to INS.

the second question about the best visa to get for "his lady" is a regular tourist visa which is very hard to get from Thailand. Thai's seem to get lost in the US and "really" do forget how to get back to teh airport when their I-94s expire. i believe about 80% of visa applications are denied from Thailand. not right but its done!!!